Will a smart watch replace a smart phone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    The new generation of smart watches operate independently of your phone. Some of the older ones simply linked to your phone to let you know there was a message. As someone who still wears a Wristwatch and doesn't own a smart phone yet, will this be the breakthrough item for me? It is a little like the Dick Tracy watch (for those old enough to get the reference). I don't want to be lugging my smart phone around everywhere and a watch that alerts me to messages might be Handy especially is I can reply to a quick text.

Has anyone tried these smarter smart watches? I am particularly interested in how easy it is to read the displays and text. I know that many now have touch screens.

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I dont know.....i think that this may not be the best solution because a smartphone has a lot of uses that go beyond just messages and the functionality of having a big screen is pretty handy. I would also add and nudge in that tabs are becoming increasingly popular and so i think that people would rather those kind of devices than have a smart watch.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not so sure about Smartwatches, I mean sure it's a cool concept, a wearable phone or whatever, but I for one can't stand the small screen size of current phones, let alone watches. But the thing is, these Smartwatches might work for people who are always on the go and doesn't have time to always pick their pocket for their phones. But I don't see smartwatches dominating the market any time soon

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Smart watches will be used more and more, that's for sure. But for them to replace the smartphones? I don't think so. First of all they are too small to be practical or easy to use like smartphones are, and secondly, I don't find them that cheap. There are no chances for them to get bigger either since you need to wear them on your hands.

But I'd love to see a smart grandfather clock! Think of all the technology you could fit in one of those babies :p

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe yes and maybe no. Smart phones are the greatest invention as per the declaration of the young people. The smart watch, although internet enabled may not be that appealing since the monitor will be that small. My Samsung S3 is very good because of the larger screen unlike my old phone. Well? No is my final answer.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Obviously not. Consumers continue to demand larger and larger screens, which is something a smartwatch can't deliver. The fact is that no smartwatch is completely standalone right now, because they must be tethered to a smartphone in the first place. This is a technology that manufacturers are pushing down consumers' throats, yet consumers aren't adopting them en masse yet.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't see this happening as people use phones to replace tablets and laptops. I think they are useful, but imagine in a meeting and everyone checking their wrists, it's just not practical. Plus think of how it would work on airplanes. They would all need to be switched off.