Will Cd's Become Obsolete?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by pafjlh • Feb 1, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Something I guess I have been pondering this morning. Anyone here besides me remember the 8 track player? Of course this device along with the 8 Track cartridges that went with it became obsolete in the early eighties. Part of the reason being that creation of the CD which was more compact and more durable.

Now could there be a possiblity that the CD could become obsolete before long? These days people can download music online from various websites some of which are free to do so. It would seem that the CD could be facing its own extinction. Yes, its still possible it might be around for awhile longer because some don't understand about how to download music to an MP player. I will admit out loud that I am one of these people. But I think its possible that the CD could be on its way out the way some think that the DVD could be as well. It might take awhile but there could come a time like with the 8 Track player and cartridge where these won't be able to be purchased any longer.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    CDs are certainly becoming more and more obsolete due to their limited storage capacity and the emergence of external storage devices that can accommodate as much as 120 GB if not more. They're good for storing documents and other non-animated files but sooner or later, factories will stop manufacturing CD readers in favor of DVD, Bluray and hard drive readers.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not everyone loves downloading music. Some people pride themselves in their CD collections while others just must buy a physical copy of their favorite musician's album. That IMO is what will make CDs stay a while longer. But how much longer they'll be around is open to debate. But it's obvious though that CDs like diskettes in a Decade or Two will be a computing relic.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    The newest laptops already lack an optical disk drive. With internet speeds on the rise, and storage drives becoming cheaper I certainly feel that CDs will becoming obsolete soon. That is not to say that they will disappear altogether--simply look at vinyl records and the many people who collect them!

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    CDs are slowly beginning to decrease in number. Very few people are using them to store data. More and more people prefer to get digital copies of media and software files. I don't know if they'll completely disappear though since the entertainment industry is still very fond of using them. They're cheap to save files on and they're secure which makes them the go to storage device when selling software and media files. Though I do not know what will really happen to CDs in the future, I do think that they will eventually disappear.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I believe so long as the video gaming industry still makes and sells their games on disks, such a technology will be around for another two decade or less. Otherwise, disk technology will eventually faze out like other similar information storing technologies, which i read recently that crystals are being looked at as alternative means of hard information storing. In my opinion, Blu-ray disks will possibly be one of the last company to use disk information storing technology.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course they will become obsolete. Just like floppy discs, cassettes, cardboard stripes, aforementioned 8 tracks, HD-DVDs, UMDs... and every format that we have now. I don't actually even have an optical drive anymore, I have no use for it..

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aren't they already? I haven't bought a CD in nearly 10 years!!! After digital music started being a thing CDs started to be obsolete and now we even have the option of apps and websites like Spotify (which I love) which make buying CDs kind of pointless.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    CD's are without a doubt already obsolete. If you go into your local Best Buy or Wal-Mart youll notice that cd section is rapidly shrinking. Most people purchase and listen to music digitally now. Why would someone want to pay $15 for one cd when they can listen to any cd they want for a few bucks a month?

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I mean, you aren't really supporting the artists if you only fay "few bucks a month". I don't like CDs, but the only other way you can support the artist is a digital purchase.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid my aunt had an 8 track in her car, lol! You bet I remember those!I still have vinyl, though I don't currently own a turntable. I like the convenience of being able to put multiple CDs into the stereo and not have to get up every 30 minutes like with an LP, but whatever comes next is probably not for me. I like having a "hard copy" so I'll never go completely digital, and I've invested too much in my current music collection to replace it just because there is a new technology.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think CDs are nearly obsolete at this point because it's seriously much more appealing to just transfer files onto a thumb drive instead of having to wait 10 minutes or more to write a cd. Not to mention that nowadays it's much more difficult to find something that uses CDs instead of a USB input or even Blutooth.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    They are actually but not in a way that they're completely gone. CD's and physical discs are still useful but as time goes by better technology come in like flash and hard drives, there is also the cloud. When it comes to music and games, CD's are still circulating because not all of us here on planet Earth have access to fast internet connection so some people still prefer the good old CD's and you can't exactly stack and display flash drives containing your music collection.

14. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    Well, it's just like the VHS when that ran it's course. With the way technology has advanced, the CD doesn't have much use. And when DVD recorders and burners became the norm, CD became very much an unneeded piece of tech. It's sad but in truth, in order for tech to advance, older tech usually has to die.

15. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    CDs have already gone the way of floppy disks, remember them? I sometimes feel nostalgic about old technology but a flash disk is so much more portable and convenient to use.
    Most CDs were not re-writable anyway (you couldn't delete data from them) unless they were specially made to be reused. I still own some though, I'll show them to my grand children someday!