Will rooting my Android help when it comes to saving battery?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by deathbyprayer • Aug 10, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I've been struggling with the battery life of my phone and I've heard a lot from friends that I should root my phone and do some tweaks to make the battery last longer. I know for a fact that background process do contribute to the drain of battery and that you can in some extent get rid of this background processes if you're phone is rooted but my concern is will it really work? The sole reason I'm about to root is just for that and I'm having doubts whether I should or not? I don't want to risk bricking my phone just in case.

2. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    There are, as I'm sure you have guessed, pros and cons to rooting for phone. You can, in fact, get rid of some background processes and thereby save your battery life. There are also some third party apps that can help with this (I use one called Greenify, but there are many others). However, rooting your phone is also rolling the dice - you void any warranties you might have, plus there is a chance that you turn your phone into the most expensive paperweight you have ever owned.

If this is the ONLY reason you are rooting your phone, my two cents would be to hold off. It may be time to do some app triage, and figure out if there are apps that you really don't need that are draining your phone's juice unnecessarily. Also, for pretty much every model of phone, it is possible to look online to look for changes you can make WITHOUT having to root your phone first.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:

Yeah, I've tried a lot of apps just to get rid of background processes but it turns out that they're either faking it or just killing the process off for a few seconds and once your screen turns off the process is back. As for uninstalling preinstalled apps, most applications I find requires root access which means I really have to root in order to get rid of them. As for the warranty, well I'm pretty much voided now and my phone is kind of old so the risk of voiding my warranty isn't really a risk. I think I'll just do some more research and try to find what's working or not. By any chance, do you know any one click kind of rooting methods?