Will You Consider Buying A Cheap, Less Known Brand Of Android Smartphone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Mar 11, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are new brands of Android phones and tables now available in the market today, namely O+ and Arc Mobile. Since they are just new brands and are not yet known, they're quite cheap as compared to the well established brands that we see on the market today. Now I'm just wondering if you would consider buying such brands of gadgets? Or you will just stick with the famously branded gadgets?

2. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    The smartphone market is currently flooded with a variety of cheap smartphones. These smartphones are generally manufactured in China and cost only a fraction of the price of the phones manufactured by big name brands such as Sony, Samsung, LG and HTC. I generally try to stay away from buying these devices because they tend to be very unreliable and the after-sales service for these companies is almost non-existent.

3. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy alt-brands of smartphones. I've had experiences with alt-brand tablets that bricked on me after a week of usage. Since I bought them locally at a foreign country while visiting, it wasn't worth sending it back to be replaced. The whole mailing back and replacement process is a pain and also not trustworthy with those companies selling rip-offs. I rather just spend the extra money on reliable products and service.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    As far as gadgets are concerned, I don't really prefer buying the cheaper and less well-known ones, mainly because I know service will be very bad in case I need.

Those cheaper androids usually will have batteries wearing out only after a few months and to have the battery replaced, you would need certain amounts as well. Therefore, it's really not worth it. In the long run, you really did not save much and you even were not able to use a very good gadget.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Really 50-50 on this one. While I do prefer a well known brand, I do check out the reviews and in most cases, if people say the new unknown one is good/better for the same price then I'll give it a try. That being said, my first one was a Samsung and the current one is a Sony and I don't think I'll be getting another one at least in a year or two.

6. mrjohny

mrjohnyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer stay away form unknown brands, since you are expending some money, they are cheaper than known brand, but is a considerable amount anyway.
    If I can't buy a good smarphone, then I would buy a non-smartphone Nokia, at least is reliable

7. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    With anything relating to electronics, I like to stick to the brands that I know. They just seem more reliable and are more easily fixed if they should break. I also want to make sure that I'm getting excellent phone service.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    No sometimes buying the cheap version will make you regret later. I am sure you are talking about some phones popular of their low quality that are from China. I like the Samsung brand because of one reason, they have smartphones for every social class. They always make cheaper versions of their high end phones in order to get more people using their brand which is really good.

9. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    Yes, I have, I bought a Huawei y200 smarthphone and I have no complains for the price. The only problem is that you cant delete certain apps without rooting the phone.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    As far as smartphone goes, I'd say yes. I have a very cheap Android phone form a third-party brand and it does the job done, for a quarter of the price. The thing with these cheap smartphones is that even if you accidentally break them, or you lost it or you got mugged, you won't have that heavy feeling of loss since its very cheap. Think about it, lets say you bought an iPhone for $900 and one night while you're walking down the street some homeless dude decided he wants to mug you and take all your belongings, would you easily give up your $900 phone? Maybe yes if your filthy rich, but what if you're not? And even if you can buy another one, its still easy to just give away a cheaper phone to the mugger right? But its just a matter of preference, if you can afford a pricey phone by all means go, if you're on a budget, then I say there's no harm in getting a little cheap.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To play devil's advocate here, even the big brand phones lose support within a few months. The brands and their carriers more or less ditch them within three months or so, in favor of some shiny new model - so it isn't really something exclusive to cheaper model phones. In fact, you could more or less argue that it perhaps makes more sense to get the latest "cheap" phone on the market, then ditch it and buy the next latest "cheap" phone that comes out several months later, instead of being stuck with the current "fancy new brand name phone" for two years, and paying full price for it.