Will You Pay Much For A Pair Of Gloves?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hayrake • Jan 8, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've always had kind of a thing for gloves. I really like a good looking, well fitting pair. And I often need relatively good ones as I'm out in the weather on horseback or riding my scooter. Gloves can get expensive, though, for what they are; and for some reason I can't keep hold of a pair for more than one season and sometimes not that long to save my life. My husband is the same way and keeps a drawer in his shop downstairs filled with the gloves that didn't get lost or worn out. They're all left handed.
    Anyway, both of us decided several years ago that we no longer would buy the good gloves we really like because the speed with which one or both of the gloves gets lost seems to be related to exactly how well we like them.
    It's cheap gloves from now on. Like cheap Pens, it's harder to lose them.

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy my husband cheap gloves and he would always leave them (both) somewhere. I quit buying him gloves. He spent about $20 for a nice pair of leather gloves and hasn't left them or lost them yet. Go figure.

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I actually for some reason never seem to have cause to buy my own gloves- they seem to be one thing that people love to give me for Christmas year after year. If I were going to buy some for myself, though, I'd probably buy a pair that I genuinely like and would enjoy wearing, provided the price was within some reason- say less than $50. I'd feel comfortable paying p to that amount since for me these wouldn't be an everyday or even yearly purchase.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    My Father once bought himself a pair of expensive leather gloves, which was fine, until he forgot them in a taxi. In Paris. While on vacation. So he bought a new pair when we returned from France to our second destination in England and guess what? He forgot that pair too, in another taxi, this time in London! I joke with him, well you made some other people very happy with a new pair of gloves!

I personally buy only cheap gloves, mostly because I don't use them too much. I got a nice pair on Sock Dreams, and they were only 12 bucks! I usually don't want to spend more the 20 bucks on gloves, but that's mostly because I'm cheap. :p

5. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Gloves are something that I never really spent a lot of money on. I had a pair that I spent $5 on and managed to keep them for about two years. I lost one on a random day and I was so sad, and I haven't bought another pair of gloves since. It's funny that I ended up losing them because gloves aren't something that I use all year round. When I had lost them I was definitely using them frequently.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time I buy cheap gloves, primarily latex and work gloves, because it will be used and eventually deteriorate even after one day of use. For expensive gloves, I either buy leather [with or without interior insulation] or some type of snow gloves. However, I rarely wear gloves because I do a lot activities that require me to use direct sense and nimbleness of my fingers.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never had the need to buy expensive gloves here because not only is it an uncommon culture, the temperature hardly drops beneath 20 degrees Celsius. The coldest region has not even gone down below zero. Though we experience cold, it's not cold enough for us to buy high-priced gloves. Everyone uses disposal gloves at hospitals, clinics and beauty salons (for dying hair). So we either buy that (and a pair costs less than $2) or we make do with rubber gloves for gardening and bathroom-cleaning purposes. Such gloves are just as cheap.

8. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    In warmer climates where the winters are not extremely cold, wearing gloves is not very feasible. A nice pair of gloves is a nice addition to a winter outfit in the cold weather, and it also keeps your hands from what might feel like frost bite when you go outside on a cold day. Some of the more fashionable gloves currently are very expensive, however, if you just want a pair to keep you hands warm then a cheaper pair will do just fine. The down side to wearing gloves is that you lose some of your manipulation ability with your fingers, which may make it hard to do certain tasks without having to take the gloves off every time.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love gloves, and used to buy many different types, both expensive and cheap. I just had a thing for gloves and enjoyed changing them all the time. The only problem? I'd keep losing them ALL the time, ending up with one and not knowing where the mate had got to. I had this expensive leather pair, which to this day I still pine after. They were the cutest, most girlie pair of gloves with delicate little bows at the wrist. I'm sure you can tell how much I adored them! I lost one and I was so so gutted that I decided never to buy another expensive pair. I have looked everywhere for a replacement pair, but so far nothing has come close. So I stick to cheap ones and those ones I don't seem to lose as much!

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For most of my life, I have only worn the typical woolly gloves, in order to keep my hands and fingers warm when it is winter. My mother used to buy them for me when I was a child - and in all sorts of different patterns. One set even had a leopard fur around the wrist part of the gloves. Even though I prefer the cold to the heat, I do suffer from the cold very easily, and in the sense that I could spend minutes outside in the bitter cold, and my fingers will get numb, and my ear will start to ache. So I always need my woolly gloves. As for fashionable gloves, if I really really like the look of them, the most that I will spend is £8. Anything more, and I'm moving on lol.

11. lucyarty

lucyartyMember

Threads:
    The problem with woolly gloves is that if you try to have a snowball fight with them, your hands get really cold! So when it snows we either buy or, if we know where they are, dig out old pairs of higher quality gloves. Most of the time, though, gloves end up getting lost in our house, so we seem to be endlessly buying cheap pairs from the supermarket. Hasn't snowed round here for the last couple of years anyway.

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't usually find myself spending a lot of money, on things I can easily lose, like gloves, scarves and the like. I would like to own a nice pair of gloves, since they would look nice and it would be something I could feel good about wearing, I would probably always worrying that I might lose one. I'd rather buy several inexpensive pairs, so I can relax and enjoy them.

13. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    If it's fashion gloves then never. However, if it's the kind of gloves that you use for working on DIY projects so that you'll be able to protect your hands then I'll buy them every time I need a pair. I usually handle chemicals when I'm developing a circuit board that's why my skin is usually in dire need of protection from the harmful effects of ferric chloride and the developer solution.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right. It doesn't matter how well they are made, they are still essentially woolly gloves, and have those small holes in them lol. Also, after a while - actually I would say fairly quickly - woolly gloves tend to start to fray. My ideal pair of gloves are leather ones. I don't like the clunky leather gloves though. They have to be the stylish ones. My grandmother's funeral was on the 15th of December, and a few of the people who attended were wearing these snuf, slick, brown leather gloves. They looked like really good quality and were priced at a fairly reasonable price.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to invest in good quality leather gloves and they have lasted. I paid about $50 from Land's End who have a lifetime guarantee and they swapped them twice when the stitches came undone. You can get cheap acrylic gloves at the dollar or pound store now, so they can be cheap for people that lose them all the time. I have some cashmere gloves too, but I don't wear them in case I lose them! I'm always careful with my gloves these days as i have lost leather gloves before and I was very annoyed with myself, so I always double check when I take them off .

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really care how much the gloves cost if they keep me warm. I hate being cold and my hands and feet are the first things to get cold on my body. I don't really have a problem keeping up with my gloves, I have several pair that I have had for years.