Windows 10

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunflogun • Jun 17, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Considering there are still people using Windows XP, Vista and so on, do you think it makes sense for Microsoft to be releasing a new OS? Are you the kind of person that rushes to try it or you just stick to what you have?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people aren't using Vista, and essential security updates for Windows XP have all but end, so that means that OS is a security vulnerability. Quite a few people have moved onto Windows 7 and, to a lesser extent, Windows 8. The fact is that WIndows 10 is a vast improvement over past iterations of the operating system, and Microsoft is aggressively pushing for people to adopt it upon release.

Anyone using an old operating system is opening themselves up to security problems and a lack of support, so they're not going to have a choice about upgrading as time goes on.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the whole point of Microsoft offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade, is to get more people on the same page (for easier updating, support, and manageability of security issues).

What I don't really understand is why it's being offered free to those who have Windows 7 and 8, including those who have "pirated" copies, yet it isn't being offered to the people who are further behind. The people who still haven't moved to 7 or 8 need an upgrade far more desperately. I think it would make more sense to give it free across the board, and make money in other ways.

4. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    There is a catch here, they are offered free upgrade until the official launch if I am not mistaken, after that they will need to pay. It would be interesting to see an estimate of users by Microsoft OS... I bet a good percentage is still on XP, more than Vista most likely.

5. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    I am the kind of person who prefers to use the latest technology and software. So yes, I'll definitely be upgrading to Windows 10!

Most people in my country still use Windows XP. I'd say about 30%? While other 60% use Windows 7 and the rest Windows 8/8.1. They're focused on making people upgrade to Windows 10 due to the fact that many hated Windows 8 for it's metro design. So most of them sticked with Windows 7.

Microsoft is providing Windows 10 as a free upgrade within a year and therefore it's great that many people have a chance to upgrade to the latest. They can choose whether they want this upgrade or not. Windows 10 afterall, will have the start menu that everybody loves.

I personally think that it's best that everybody does upgrade since Windows XP is already outdated for good, and Windows 7 has it's mainstream support ended in January, while extended support will be until 2020.

6. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    They don't release new Operating Systems just because they want to, they must follow specific business strategies in order to not lose any popularity. This is the reason why they always try to release their new products sooner than its competition. They also realize that their products have decreased in quality lately, do not worry about that. :)

7. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that makes sense, it's called modernization. At the same time, the most modern OS have more system requirements, meaning that new computers are needed too, so most likely Microsoft's needs goes hand in hand with the needs from hardware producers.

8. purplepaint

purplepaintNew Member

Threads:
    Windows 10 seems to be a merge of the best qualities of Windows 7 and 8. Windows 8 is a much better experience with a touch screen, and without, many actions feel weird to execute. It also removed the start button pop up that is on Windows 7 and older. I personally know a lot of people who didn't upgrade to Windows 8 from 7 even though they had the option to.

Basically, it's an upgrade to please those users who didn't like Windows 8 but still want to be use a newer OS.

9. anniepa

anniepaNew Member

Threads:
    I've been wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade my desktop to Windows 10 or if I should just get a new computer when the need arises...which might not be too long from now. I'm not one to rush out to get the latest thing just because it's there but I want something that works. I guess until it breaks or becomes obsolete I'll stick to what I have!

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I kept using Windows 98SE for ten years and the only reason why I changed it for XP was the fact that as new computers were released, no drivers for this OS were available. I tried generic drivers until I couldn't run it anymore... or better said, it was still running two years ago, but with a graphics driver set at 640 x 400 pixels, which looked truly award!

So that, until two years ago I had a multi-boot Windows system with Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and XP after having downgraded Vista, that came with that computer having this setup.

Then my computer crashed and had to get this computer; will be two years with this next October, and this time it came with Windows 8, which I hated by the word, but loved by the hands-on.

I'm so happy with Windows 8 that I don't think even necessary upgrade it to Windows 8.1, much less after hearing countless horror stories of people who done it and began to have problems with this OS

That said, no, I don't care about Windows 10 nor pretend to buy it/switch to it.

I may still give it a go as long as not in my computer but on whatever other that has it installed; a friends's computer, a hot spot, etc. etc.

11. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I feel more or less the same way as you do Digital. For me what matters is that I am familiarized with the OS, if I am and everything is working smoothly why would I change?

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it might not make sense, but it is what they do. I am looking forward to it. I am not a fan of Windows 8.1 which is what I have so if I can get a quality OS that does not have the glitches of 8.1 I will be happy. A computer guru friend suggested waiting awhile until the bugs are worked out of the program though. I will have to take that into consideration.

13. troutski

Threads:
    You're wrong, though. There is NO CATCH. If you're on Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 and upgrade within the first 365 days of release, then you receive the full version of Windows 10. It's not a trial, and you don't have to pay for Windows 10 or its updates after that period of time. It's yours forever free of charge with all associated updates. That's been the case since the announcement was made. This is NOT a one-year trial of Windows 10.

14. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for making that clear. Actually, short after I made that post I realized what you said, in fact Microsoft is offering the full version of Windows 10 for free. I wonder why they are doing it though.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Due to many unresolved issues, we have bypassed Vista in the office and jumped to Windows 7. And now that Windows 10 is in the offing, there are plans to test the new operating system of Windows but there is still no commitment as to shift to it for now. Our office takes time in evaluating operating systems because we have big applications running in our network.

16. troutski

Threads:
    Long-term, it builds goodwill for Microsoft once again, especially after the perceived failure of Windows 8. It gives Windows 7 and 8 users a reason to upgrade now, or at least within a year to take advantage of the 100% free upgrade. The company will still make money from people that buy Windows 10 PCs or need to buy a W10 license because they don't have a Windows 7/8 PC. Windows 10 needs to be a major success for the company, and this free offer helps drive that goal long-term.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I went ahead and just upgraded to Windows 10, from my Windows 7 machine. Considering that they were offering me a free upgrade, I wasn't sure how long they would be extending this free offer so I figured I should take advantage of it while I can. I have mixed feelings about Windows 10 overall, but my gripes are mainly user interface issues which could be easily fixed.

The upgrade took a little over an hour on my system, though I heard it could go as fast as 20 minutes on some systems. Everything went pretty seamlessly, though in my case I had already recently reformatted my computer a couple months ago, so there wasn't much junk on it to begin with. The only big issue I had after the upgrade was I had no sound. Strangely, I found that after rebooting one more time after the initial upgrade and reboot, for some reason resolved this issue.

The interface feels a little snappier and more responsive, probably since they ditched a lot of the shading, blurs and transparent glass effects, and beveled edges and other little jewel like flourishes of previous versions of windows. This is a good thing imo, however their current minimalist flat design still looks rather rough around the edges. It looks like a beta version or some sort of working development version of Windows 10, not a finished product. For example. there's these ugly light blue lines around every floating window.

Also, for whatever stupid reason, Microsoft moved a lot of commonly used items around and buried them away from the start menu. Where in the heck is the Control Panel? the Accessories folder? the Run prompt? Calculator? It was a pain in the butt trying to find all of these. Also, there is some new photo browser which I don't care for either since it seems to have a mind of it's own and randomly featured various folders of photos, which never seem to be the ones you are looking for.

18. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I hated windows 8 with a fiery passion. So much so that we switched the desktop back to 7 and I converted my netbook to Linux Mint. I think windows 10 is a good response to people who hated windows 8 and I suspect that the company hopes to lure people back into upgrading or even back to windows with the improvements. After the headaches of getting rid of windows 8 though, I won't be in a hurry to try 10.

19. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    From the looks of this OS thus far, I think all they've done was to create an OS just so they won't get bored at their offices, haha. It really isn't a big difference between this one and Windows 8 and even 7, for instance. I will go back to Windows 8 in the future.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still haven't got a download notification on mine and I reserved it before the 29th. I am wondering if that is a sign I shouldn't try to upgrade. I know it's free but I'm not looking forward to backing up my machine in case I lose everything. Is it even worth bothering to take the time? It doesn't sound all that different. The only thing I really hate about the computer currently is Firefox can easily hang and the boot time. I'm not sure 10 would fix that and Edge sounds meh.