Windows 8

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by pilot2fly • Sep 29, 2012.

1. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I have had a chance to use Windows 8 twice for a few minutes and really like the interface. If you have the Windows Phone 7 you'll be right at home. It doesn't differ much from that. I think many people have already come to the conclusion that Windows 8 sucks before they even use it because of the new interface. I'm glad Microsoft is trying to change it up. Apple rarely changes anything (take the new iPhone 5 for example). It's a fresh new design that may take some getting used to, but I love it. My only concern is that when I upgrade I'll lose all my files on my laptop.

2. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    What advice would you give someone who still uses Windows XP like me? I've refused even to move to Vista let alone Windows 7. Is this window stable?

3. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:

Like you, I too have stuck with XP and have refused to move to Win7, 'cos I'm a bit wary of change in this area. I suppose as long as we keep our Automatic Updates on and up-to-date, we should be fine. I think I might change only when it is becomes obsolete like Win2K and '98 before XP came along :p

4. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 is absolutely horrible. I'm not sure if microsoft decided to just mess with consumers, or if they legitimately think this was a good idea. It was built with an interface for mobile touchscreens, not for regular computers to use as an OS. And it's poor of a touchscreen OS compared to others out there.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I heard that Windows 8 is not a gamer friendly OS, and I'm not surprised, since most of my games that I successfully installed in Windows XP and Vista just won't work in Windows 7. So it seems like Microsoft's upgrades are not getting better at all.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know, I don't understand why Windows 8 is even installed on desktop computers when it was obviously designed for touchscreens. Supposedly trying to use it with a keyboard and mouse is a frustrating experience and people that are being forced to stop using XP are now buying used Windows 7 computers because they don't want to deal with Windows 8 on a desktop.

7. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. That's why I got my new PC just before windows 8 came out. The college I go to has windows 8 on all their computers now, and they don't have touch screens. They do have it set up so it boots to the start screen instead and a few other modifications that make it kinda ok. The start menu is the stupidest thing though. It's just a bogus one that takes you to the start screen.

8. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 is atrocious, I would rather have Microsoft take a sledgehammer to my pc instead of installing it over 7. I HATE the look and appearance, to me Windows 7 was so perfect and the logical evolution of XP without being the crime against humanity that Vista was. I prefer the sleek, simple, efficiency and can't stand the whole "touch screen Ipad" thing going with it. Its just an eye sore and the first time I saw the windows 8 interface I thought it was some kind of joke or parody of tablet pc interfaces.

The worst part is that you know down the road every game developer is going to force you to install windows 8 if you want the latest new technology or version of directx. Ugh.

9. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    Same thing here. I had installed Windows 8 on my computer for a couple weeks but I went back to windows 7 after encountering a whole lot of compatibility issues with my games and other programs (Photoshop window flashing and Games running at a reduced frame-rate, some not even working at all) From my experience, its not exactly the most stable OS and I think that Windows 8 should be tablet exclusive.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    For those who still uses Windows XP, I would suggest you move on with Windows 7 soon since XP will be losing support (or maybe it already has). Windows 7 is very stable and fast, of course not as fast as XP but if you have a decent enough computer then it will be no problem at all. Windows 8 however is a pretty decent OS, people are talking crap of it because of the interface but I think its not that bad, I mean its probably the user response to cahnge since consumers are used to the old Windows OS type of interface and W8 ups it to whole new level. I've been using Windows 8.1 for quite a while now and I'm quite happy with it, the UI needs some getting used to but once you got that down its like W7 all over again.