Windows Firewall

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunflogun • Jul 14, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Do you consider the Windows Firewall to be enough to protect the computer or that an additional firewall (apart from the anti-virus) is necessary? Do you understand the difference between firewall and anti-virus?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You wouldn't have an additional firewall because running two at the same time leads to conflicts. Having a different firewall is often worthwhile because Windows Firewall isn't the best option out there. Advanced users don't even necessarily need antivirus software, if they know what they're doing. The average user should have a firewall installed and running along with an antivirus, antimalware, and antispyware program to avoid problems while browsing the Web and downloading files.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always turn on the necessary protection that Windows prompts me to do when I'm in the control panel with the exception of getting updates, but I don't trust the security of Windows antivirus and firewall, because they can't detect the malwares that were detected by the other programs. So I suggest that you use Zone Alarm, it's a good firewall with much better protection than Windows firewall.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The primary purpose of a firewall is to block unauthorized access to your computer. Windows firewall like any other firewall will do that well enough. It will prevent the installation of programs/spyware/adware on your computer when you visit "malicious" websites. But that's the limit. Firewalls may not stop wily hackers.

5. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Basically what Windows Firewall is supposed to do is act as a wall to you're computer, literally. It's suppose to prevent viruses, hackers or worms from getting into your computer but we all know that it always gets in somehow. You wouldn't need an additional firewall but you'd definitely need an anti-virus and anti-malware programs. Firewall is suppose to prevent malicious content from getting in but it doesn't really hunt and kill them. You're really gonna need an anti-virus / malware software for that. And some Anti-virus software like AVG (which is free) will scan and kill viruses on your computer and help monitor all your downloads to see where a virus may be detected. Firewall is a decent protection but it's certainly not enough in my opinion. You always want more protection so you can combat viruses and worms on the spot because once they start taking over, your computer performance really starts taking a beating. I highly recommend AVG and Malwarebytes. Both free softwares that go great along with Firewall. Firewall prevents and these 2 programs hunt down and kill the content that managed to get passed firewall.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true, so I don't longer care too much about antivirus, firewalls and so on, mostly because I try to stay safe by not visiting questionable Internet neighborhoods.

When I browse safe sites, I prefer to keep disable firewall and antivirus to improve surfing, but I only use these when I visit ignored sites that might be misleading and even download spyware, malweare or viruses in the background.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But sometimes, even legitimate programs will have some "malware" bundled into it, like did you know that Google Chrome always records our keystrokes so that our searches can be recorded into their database? Spy Shelter alerted me on that one, so it's really a must not to just rely on a firewall to identify any threats or spyware on your pc.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's really pesky having legitimate software wanting to add malware, spyware or useless bloat, like in example having both Java and Adobe Flash trying to force you to download Google Chrome, hack your browser home page, or include a toolbar.

And that's it, Google tended to be against Microsoft practices to spy people and intrude into their privacy, but now they are doing the same and not giving you the tools to disable their activity, as opposed to Microsoft that at least allows you turn on and off certain features.

However I have not issues with Chrome because since I learned they are spying us, I moved to another Chromium-based browser; SRware Iron, same functionality that Google Chromes, similar look and feel, but without the privacy concerns as you can read here,

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the suggestion, once my pc gets fixed I will try that browser. They are spying on us because they want to improve their search drop down suggestions, but I don't think that's really required right? Some programs also take screenshots periodically, so we just can't trust any programs nowadays, even the legit ones.

#9Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015