Winter comfort foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JosieP • Dec 21, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure we all associate certain foods with certain seasons. In the summer, I like to eat a LOT of fruit. I crave it constantly. That and fresh veggies and my smoothies turn to slushies. And ice cream! How could I forget lol

So now I'm under a mountain of Canadian snow and I adore it. I love all seasons, winter is no exception. Naturally, the foods I eat are different now. I turn to comfort foods. Hearty soups and stews, casseroles etc and I can't forget hot chocolate.. so cozy. I eat gluten free now, so I'm not the biggest fan of the breads available to me (homemade or not), but until recently, I made a ton of bread through the winter. Usually year round, but winter was when I'd start experimenting with it too.

What are your winter comfort foods?

2. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I love hot foods and drinks during the winter. I've never understood how people can eat ice cream in cold weather. But then I'm a cold person. When it's cold, I'm cold. For that reason, I drink a lot more hot tea, apple cider, and hot cocoa during the winter. I love to drink and eat chocolate when it's cold out. I also love hot soups and stews -- the heartier the better. And for whatever reason, I find I like red meat in a thick gravy more when it's cold.

3. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I eat a lot of soups during the winter. I like to eat whatever keeps me warm. I also find myself drinking lots of eggnog. It is yummy and it fits the holidays. In the warmer months, I tend to eat a lot of colder foods. Like you, I also make smoothies out of fresh fruits and vegetables. The smoothies are filling and delicious.

4. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    Soups and roasted meats are my favorite winter foods. I like to slow cook roasts in my convection oven until they are tender and fall apart. I like hearty soups with a meat base and lots of chopped veggies. Or cream based soups really warm me up when I come in from the cold - potato is my favorite.

We don't have much cold weather where I live so I think of winter as a time for treats - hot and rich foods fit the bill. The heat of the Florida summer is overwhelming sometimes, so I savor any relief from it. It's almost Christmas and it was 83 degrees today! Sigh... I would like to see some pictures of your snowy weather, JosieP!

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    During the winter months, I enjoy eating hearty meals such as stews, chilli and soup. All of these foods are filling, easy to make and require inexpensive ingredients. They also go well with bread and hot cider.

beef-stew-recipe%5B1%5D.

6. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    During the winter months I love hearty soups such as beef stew and vegetable soup. I make ham and potato soup along with fresh warm bread. Delicious! :) I love my crock pot in the winter time. I make roasts and lots of casserole dishes. Anyway warm, hot and cheesy is generally a winter necessity.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I think of winter, and winter is really mild in my region, I visualise pumpkin soup with ginger. It's my favourite food during the cooler months, as it is quick to make and easy to digest. But above all, I love the warming and comforting quality of ginger. I also like to prepare aduki beans with seaweed and baked vegetables, or chilli stir-fries with quinoa. And not to mention spicy fish soups that take away all my muscle pains and make me feel relaxed. :)