Wool Dryer Balls – Cost Effective Alternative To Dryer Sheets.

Discussion in Home & Garden started by gata montes • Oct 5, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Felted wool dryer balls - are not only a great natural alternative for those looking to avoid the toxic chemicals contained in dryer sheets - but as they do away with the need - to use Fabric softener in the wash, last for years without needing to replaced and more importantly can speed up drying times by up to 25% or more - depending on the size of the load and how many balls you use - are - I think you would agree - an excellent all round money saver.

There is an added bonus too - as although switching to wool dryer balls will help to reduce energy costs - along with avoid the cost of buying fabric softener - they also increase softness, fluffiness and eliminate static better than any commercial fabric softener or dryer sheet can - which as this is a win, win situation all round - if you haven't tried them yet - but would like to.

Although they can be bought already made - as they are so simple, inexpensive and easy to make and generally better than anything you can buy in the stores - or at least that is what I have found - you can save even more by making you own - as easily as this

Oh and I would just add - for those that are knitters - they are a great way of using up leftover yarn or if you wanted to save even more money - they can be made out of old wool sweaters too.

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I use plastic dryer balls. They are great as they separate the clothes so they dry faster. I didn't realize that they also worked as a fabric softener. I bought them thinking they would help speed up drying time and save me some money by not having to run the dryer as long. I love the idea of wool dryer balls. I try to avoid chemicals so I've never used fabric softener or the Bounce sheets. Some people say the plastic balls contain PVC's which is toxic but I've been reading that the plastic balls are made from nontoxic plastic. I think I will get some of the wool ones just to be safe. Thanks for sharing.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had dryer balls when I had a tumble dryer. They were a great way of speeding things up. They'd be red hot when the cycle finished though! I can attest that they do indeed eliminate the need for dryer sheets - the extra movement the balls provide seems to make the garments really soft.

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I can knit but I usualy don't knit with wool incase someone is allergic. I have never heard of using wool this way so it is nice to know this cool fact. I wonder why others aren't using this method as well?