Working More So You Can Save Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jul 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Staying busy whether you are earning more money or not will save you money. How?

Simple. If you are busy all day long, you'll have little time left for shopping and when you aren't buying things you won't spend any money buying things either online or elsewhere, right? This will effectively combat those cravings to go shopping because you are bored or something.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a lot of truth in what you say, Denis! My husband and I go into town only when we have specific stuff to do. The rest of the time I'm doing my regular job, if I'm not, I'm online trying to make a little bit more money. My husband also works out our home office. Our theory is that if we don't go out, we don't spend any money, and it does work :)

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, when I am working harder, I have much less time to spend any money, and that is something that always seems to work very well for me indeed. I also love to be able to put money aside, and working harder and for longer hours does certainly seem to come at it from two angles - being able to earn more money in the first place, but also wasting a lot less of it, because you don't have as much time to do it. So I do certainly think that if you're trying to save up for something, it is more than worth working some longer hours, as it is sure to help you in several ways.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's certainly true. Giving yourself no opportunity to spend is probably the most effective way for a "spender" to save and the extra hours at work mean you'll be able to build your bank balance up quicker than you thought.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    This is very much true! When I am not working at my day job I am at home busy working online take more money and I do not have much time to shop. If you stay busy and do not allow yourself to get bored, then you will not be out spending money that you could be saving.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think that working more can help you save money purely through a time aspect, but to me, the only real way to save money is to commit yourself to sticking on a budget. There are plenty of tips and tricks that can help, but none of those matter if you decide to splurge on a fancy new TV or computer that you don't really need. No one really wants to save their money when there are so many cool things to buy, but committing to a budget is the only way to start putting money away in a savings.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't need to pack my schedule in order to resist spending. I'd rather spend my free time with my daughter.
    The entire reason that we work is to support our families. My daughter is my top priority and I don't need to spend more time away from her just to resist spending.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am always busy, working at various different jobs. I tend to be quite frugal, so there is no danger of me overspending. I like to save money for my travels. I can easily work for many months without having to acquire anything new but the bare necessities, in order to get to my desired holiday destination. It's more important to me to see the world, instead of accumulating things for my home.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So true! The more you bury yourself in your work, the more you won't have time to spare spending money, not unless you also browse online stores, lol. Even if you're not working, as long as you're busy and preoccupied, then it will get your mind off spending.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping is entertainment for some people, I like going into the second hand stores to see what I can find, I call it Treasure Hunting, of course I will spend money on something I see if I like it so I have been avoiding the desire to Treasure Hunt lately because I need to hold onto the money I would spend if I went out. Now with the internet you don't have to go out to spend money, there are so many people online saying just click the buy button it is only $7 but those $7 add up quickly.

11. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly. That is why I try to go online and make money. I have found that it's pretty easy to find at least one way to make money online. I think that as long as you are busy then like you said, yous won't be spending money. That is why I like to spend my time online, making as much money as I can.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this sometimes in the way that I try to consider that I could just spend my time working instead of spending too much time on something just to save a little, which I then use to decide if spending money would be practical or not. For example, if I think I could save money cooking everything from scratch, I try and calculate how much I could save against how much I can earn in that time span and if it turns out I could earn more I would just buy food and use that time to work.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm always being told not to spread myself too thin, and the way I see it, time spent working is time well spent. I just don't want to be caught short with no money for food, utilities and worse still, rent. Just last year, I came very dangerously to that point, and it proper freaked me out. I hate being a burden on any one, not that they'd view it as such. But I'm fiercely independent and like to do all I can to ensure I have everything I need. So I work all the time LOL In fact, sometimes I wish there were more hours in the day. Of course I also try to find time to recharge and spend quality time with loved ones, to avoid burning out.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is the opposite for me. When we have to work overtime in the office, I would be rewarding myself with a shopping spree when I receive the overtime pay. My husband agrees to that - giving yourself a reward for a job well done. At least when there is overtime work again, I would be highly motivated as to give a good performance... because in my mind is the shopping spree that would follow.

And when I have nothing much to do at work, I have no urge for shopping just like another lousy day.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I totally agree with this statement. It has happened that many times because of being too busy I missed shopping outings and have saved money in return. Having time to wander about a bit could really incur additional expenses because sometimes when your eyes come in contact with some interesting stuff which you had not previously planned for you may be tempted to have it.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a good plan to have, if that is your sort of thing. That way, you are earning more on top of saving the money that you otherwise may have potentially spent elsewhere. Of course, you could just exercise some self-discipline instead lol. The only annoying thing is earning more and in turn getting taxed more. But you would still be earning more than you would have before.

17. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy working online to earn a bit more money and often find that if I'm not earning at the same time then I feel guilty. I'll even earn by watching videos or something along those lines at the same time as watching TV so that if I am relaxing I can still earn money. If I go shopping I try to make sure I take advantage of any cashback or loyalty points I could be getting while I'm there as well so that the money i am spending can get me something back if possible.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. I find that if I have nothing to do I will go online and look at clothes. During March Break when I'm not at work I find I go shopping every day. Whether it's groceries, clothes, things for the kids, I am definitely spending more money than I would if I was at work. More time on my hands means I'll spend more money. I have to make a conscious effort not to shop. So I have decided that I'll spend my free time cleaning instead.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    This idea is similar to the religious one which claims that that busy-bees have no time for sin. Well, ironically and comically, that idea is actually true. Anyway, though, there are skeptics who claim that someone who really wants to be a bad boy or out of control shopper, so to speak, will make time. I can also agree with that statement.

20. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is just a word of advice to the younger people here. I used to do that, working until I run out of breath, so to speak. As a computer operator, we had unlimited overtime that I terribly enjoyed especially when I receive my pay check. But when I got sick, I realized that I was overworking myself. The doctor had prescribed some relaxation like a full weekend away from the office. During that time, I didn’t mind the stress but unknown to me was already seeping inside of me. Since then, I had learned to take it easy with work although I admit that I still work overtime once in a while.