Working Out In The Morning Or Evening?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by isabbbela • Oct 16, 2015.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This morning I finally convinced myself to leave my bed and go to the gym in my building, after many days of excuses. I prefer usually to work out in the evening when I get home from work, But I have been so busy, by the time I'm free to workout I am exhausted and cannot wait to get home and rest.
    Which do you prefer, working out in the morning or afternoon/evening?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Good for you! It can be really hard to get motivated to go to the gym because it is like working in a sense. I have to go to the gum in the morning if I go at all because that is when I have the most energy. By the time evening time comes around I am beat. I have to make it home by dinner time so that I can get the family fed, and then there is no energy left for things like working out.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I work out in the evening. Any time I try to work out in the morning I either get dizzy or tired very quickly. I just can't exercise without eating something first.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah that's the thing. You're supposed to eat, even if you're not hungry. I drink coffee every morning and not only does it stimulate me but I don't eat until noon. I'm trying to get in a cup of oatmeal before working out.

I work out in the morning because I was led to believe there's less congestion at the gym or on the track. Been at it for a few months and there's a crowd wherever I go. Either way, I try to get in at least a half hour. Be glad when I can afford a workout room.

#4Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to start in the morning with a 5-10 minute jog in place. I do exercises in home only. I finish up in the evening and sometimes at night because I didn't have time during the day. I inspire my 89 year old Mom to exercise too for her health.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do a little exercise in the morning to give me the energy that I would need for the day. But for working out a big sweat particularly to lose weight, I prefer to do it in the late afternoon. Doing a workout is tiring and I cannot afford to feel tired the whole day if I would workout in the morning. In our village's park, there are joggers and exercisers in the morning and only too few in the afternoon so I do the workout at home.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've heard that, but if I eat less than an hour before I work out I also have problems during my workout. I would have to wake up way too early to get a workout in.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whatever feels right at the time. I don't do the gym thing or anything I feel "tortured" by.. nobody should. If I have the energy in the morning, which I usually do due to my diet, then I'll get out there and do whatever feels right at the time. Hiking, biking, walking.. whatever fits my mood. If I'm busy, or don't feel like it, I just don't.. or wait until whenever works for me that day. I don't worry myself so much when it comes to exercise. As long as I'm moving and eating right. Food is by far the most important factor for health and fitness. Moving comes naturally when you're healthy.. and if you're not, pushing yourself won't make matters any better. We're most likely to procrastinate or fail when we hate what we're doing or feel put off by it.

9. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I usually prefer to work out in the morning because I can work out to start my day and then go take a shower and then proceed on with the rest of my day. Realistically in my life right now, it's a bit impossible to work out in the morning so I try to work out in the evening whenever I have some free time and enough energy and motivation to do as such.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Late afternoon for me. While I do enjoy it, I actually tend to prefer morning workouts. However, like @tasxx@tasxx my lifestyle doesn’t really allow for that at the moment. Plus I’ve gotten so used to exercising in the late afternoon, I’ll do that even when I have the free time to exercise in the morning.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of working out in the morning because it tends to rev up my metabolism and helps me lose weight throughout the day. If I workout at night then I want to shower before bed, but I like to shower before work in the morning. I also don't like the way that I feel sluggish in the morning when I workout at night.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've always liked to work out in the afternoon. I'm not a morning person so getting up early to work out just isn't for me. I'm in bed early and with kids sports and homework there isn't any time to fit in a workout. If I play sports later at night say after 9 pm I'm too pumped to fall asleep and the next day I'm in a fog from the lack of sleep. If I'm going to get in a workout it's usually after work while the kids are still in school or day care. I find that a workout in the afternoon gives me enough energy to make it through the evening hours, I sleep much better and have fall asleep quicker.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was recently diagnosed with anemia again. I can never seem to get my iron levels up and keep them up, but I've come up with a plan. But for the time being, I am completely drained of all and any energy in the day times. It is like the sunlight saps all of my energy or something. So when it gets dark, I tend to feel a little more sturdy. Before I just preferred to do my workouts at night, but these days I have no other choice. I simply cannot manage them in the day.

14. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    About halfway through the day, actually. I'm at my most productive during the morning, and I'd rather expend that initial burst of energy on getting work done. In the evening I'm too tired to work out, so any attempts are half-hearted and bleh. The early afternoon, usually just before lunch, seems the optimal time, as I'm still energized from the morning but not so energized that I'm ready to plow through whatever needs to be desperately completed.

15. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    When I do work out, I do it when everyone is awake. I do not want my music to disturb anyone's sleep during it. It varies when I work out, morning or evening. I feel morning is best for me though. It puts the day in a good start, when I work out in the morning. It gets me all pumped for the day you know.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to jog, I did it in the morning or evening because it was not that hot as compared to when you do it in the afternoon. It also is not that polluted anymore since it's off peak hours already.

17. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    It varies for myself. On days I work I have to be up by 5:30am so to wake up earlier to work out is just not happening so I work out at least 3-4 times after coming home from work. During my off days since I'm use to waking up early I can typically get in a work out before I get started with the rest of my day.

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to do my workouts before the sun rises so that I'm all alone on the streets when I run. I like the solitude and the feel of the early morning breeze and it also helps me think about the day ahead. When I don't get to work out during the early morning and do my daily exercise in the evening, I'm usually not as productive.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Neither. I'd rather work out in the afternoon, right after work is done and hours before I go to bed. I think afternoon workouts are best for people who go to work for eight hours on weekdays. If they work out in the morning, they'd feel so tired and doze off at work. In the afternoon, they can rejuvenate their tired bodies with a good workout session. I've heard of people having a stroke because they work out in the evening, right before sleeping. Doctors always advise you not to lie down if your body has just been through a gruelling activity.

20. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    Early in the morning for me. After work I just want to go home, stuff my face with food and relax. My gym isn't 24/7, it closes at 10 PM, but even if I work out in the evening, say around 8 or 9 PM, I have hard time falling asleep after that. So I work out early in the morning before work. It actually gives me an energy boost in the morning and endorphins help me avoid stress. And I get more free time in the evenings to play games, watch TV shows et cetera, so it's a win-win situation.