Working Out With Things At Home

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Zyni • Apr 8, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy a lot of workout equipment or do you opt for using things you already have at home? Some people recommend using cans or gallon jugs instead of buying weights, and things like that. They use kids play mats or heavy towels instead of buying the more expensive yoga mats and stuff. What do you think about this?

Do you try to find creative ways to workout for less?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Soup cans can be weights, a 5lb bag of sugar of flour is also thing you can use at home as a resistant item like weights. I use a towel on the floor instead of a yoga mat also. Holding onto the back of a chair can help to keep your balance when doing squats.

3. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    Well, I personally use nothing else than my own body weight, if you can not actually afford a gym you can just start working out at home using your own bodyweght, yo ucan start up with some push ups, pull ups using your door's frame and many other exercises you might be able to do at home using many of the things you already have, you do not really need to go to a gym to get buffed, it is all about if you really want it, that is my opinion though.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    This is something that I need to look into because the gym isn't working out for me. Too many people in a crowded space and no attendants.

We don't buy large amounts of food that could double as weights. So far, there are a lot of stairs to deal with. However, I know that if I get too much cheap exercise equipment, it won't be effective.

5. CaptainOblivious

CaptainObliviousMember

Threads:
    I have tried out many gyms, and finally decided that gyms aren't really for me. Too many people, not enough trainers, and a lot of crap advice going around, which was stupid. I now stick to a exercise regimen consisting of jogging in the morning, and a lot of callisthenics in the evening i.e. body weight training. Also I have really started eating healthy. These things have really helped me. Try different things to see how they work out for you.

Best of luck!

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm embarrassed to say I have a few things at home that i could use such as this little twisty turny thing that you step on (name forgotten!), as well as a clutch of aerobics dvd's, but I find it very hard to drum some enthusiasm because i find it hard to work out on my own. I need a keep fit buddy, but sadly, my husband is no use because he hates exercise LOL So I've concluded I'm best suited to a gym setup :(

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Exercise equipment can be a bit expensive and it would be good you could improvise which would certainly save a few dollars. There are some bottles with that long handle at the side running from top to bottom fill these water and you have a nice type of weights. Old towels could be used as mats. These are some of the homemade substitutions, amongst many others, that may be utilised, just ensure that they are comfortable enough when you are using them.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to get some exercise equipment, but for now they are out of reach because I am budgeting a lot these days. I like the new one where you're climbing. You seem to do less and get more with it. I went to Sears to see some exercising equipment and they were all over a thousand dollars, big and bulky - I've got no room in my tiny apt. home for and they look heavy so I can't move it too easily, thus I couldn't buy it. Gyms are out of the question for it's too expensive for me. I exercise at home using just what I have.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it's just for losing or maintaining weight you don't even need equipment. You could just download some apps and follow along with the programs that they have set and they all even vary in difficulty so you could just start out slowly and work your way towards the highest levels and by then you are pretty much already at your goal if not at least very close to it. For building muscle I guess some weight lifting would be necessary but I don't have much experience with that as I'm not particularly interested in that area.

10. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I do most of my bodyweight exercises at the park. I get that people like to go to the gym and all, but I get pretty sweet results just using my own body to do stuff, dumbbells seem pretty harsh on joints

11. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I love the psychological as well as physical benefits of walking outdoors. I can use google maps to estimate walking distance and I find the sights and sounds more stimulating and interesting than using a treadmill. In bad weather I often just run up and down the stairwell in my building. Since most people in the building use the elevator, it doesn't seem to bother anyone. I sometimes enjoy doing aerobic exercise to fun music,too. I occasionally put on a zumba video I find on youtube and try to keep up.

12. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I really like this idea. I have weight to lose, so for me, just walking would be a good workout of my own body weight. Of course I gotta invest in good shoes for this. I like a simple approach so this really hits home with me.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too need to shed some flab because I've mysteriously piled on some weight over the last couple of years since I moved countries. I don't eat much more than I did before, but I guess I lead a more sedentary life now. I've tried walking but I just can't seem to stick at it. So I've now made up my mind to join Zumba as soon as I can because two of my colleagues have started it and LOVE it. It sounds like something right up my street. BUT it'll be indoors.

14. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Here's what I do - and it doesn't take any mechanical/digital equipment:
    1. Superman push-ups.
    2. Squat jumps.
    3. Brisk walking and then jogging
    4. Basic stretching and yoga.
    5. Weekly hike.

The first two will get you in shape in less than a month. If you're not buffed or don't look like a hulk/she-hulk, you are about to look the part.

The next two will get you toned and help your cardio-vascular system. If you want to look great but don't want to look buffed, you better do 3 and 4. They'll make you leaner.

The last is my own thing. Basically, people used to walk a lot even 200 years ago and we don't. Nothing works better than walking. And a hike works best. A hike with friends works even better.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    A colleague at work let us through the best workout I've ever had and the only equipment you needed was a skipping rope and yoga mat. The whole workout could be done without either pieces of equipment as well. She set it up as 30 seconds of fast burst movement like squats or skipping ropes then 30 seconds of core exercises of plank say and then you repeat it 6 times. Then you rest for 1 minute and then do sets of two other movements - one being a core exercise like push ups and then one cardio. You repeat the activities you get the most amazing work out after 30 minutes. Cheap and easy. I highly recommend it. You can do this at home and put on your favourite music.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Look at all these great ideas. I should add another to this as well. You can find nearly any and every kind of workout imaginable online. I've found several youtube videos that offer specific workouts, even for people with disabilities or injuries. Of course, you can purchase more routines as well, but I can certainly find enough free ones to keep me going.

I love the ones that are designed with challenges in mind. I want the exercise, but I don't want to hurt myself getting it.

17. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    There are workouts that don't need any expensive equipment. I think the more you move your body, you're already getting exercise from that. There are some workouts that use chairs, though, but the moves are limited.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my bro was still into buying sports equipment, he bought barbels and this workout equipment called "Ab King Pro". Guess what, it was rarely used at all and are now just in the backyard, gathering rust and dust. So since we already have workout equipment at home, I don't feel the need to find alternatives.

19. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Gym... not i n my budget nor i have time to do so as my busy routine is too tough, just wanna gain some wait and you kow what usually people suggest me to not to do anything like that just eat enough and rest enough, what a fish...

20. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think working out at home could be interesting and using things around your property would be fun also. You can also go for a small hike into town and do some shopping or go outside with your headphones and listen to some motivating music, to get you up and dancing around as well. Sometimes the local park has some outdoor exercise equipment that you can use for free-but try to be creative with your workout and have some fun once in awhile and not get to much into a workout funk.