Worst virus you got?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by mistymi • Mar 29, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    The worst I remember is probably getting pop ups and fake anti virus programs installed that were always easily removed later. Browsers are more secure now and haven't got a virus in a long time. Even if you rarely get viruses do you think active virus protection is still necessary?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worse virus I ever got was one that didn't let me open my Windows. I ended up having to reset the whole thing, re-install Windows and I ended up losing everything I had saved on my computer, which was the worse part about everything. Aside from having costed me a lot in tech assistance, they couldn't recover my folders and programs.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always make it a point to scan the pc before I open a downloaded file, so even if I downloaded a file that contains a virus, the anti-virus detects it and removes it. If only people did that then for sure the chances of them infecting their pc with a virus are slim.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Mine was when I was attacked by a virus when I had just completed typing some document and it was around 20 pages, was supposed to present it and the virus spoilt the whole of it. I had to retype it once again. It was called Ethiopian hot girls

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    The worst I got didn't let me do anything besides staring at my desktop background. If I'm not mistaken I also got some sort of funny message saying that I was infected. I didn't find it that funny! :eek: Since then I learned how to properly use a PC and how to spot files that might be infected. I also got an antivirus, albeit a cheap one (avast) and anti spyware software. These days I'd dare say that I'd manage without an antivirus since I learned how to browse and install software responsibly.

6. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I got a virus that just slowly eat away at all my files and made everything stop functioning properly. So I had to start again and re install windows and everything. That was upsetting, so now I make sure that my antivirus is always on and that I listen to it and scan regularly.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The worst one I got was that thing where in the virus turns the files inside your flash drive into shortcuts! I think it came from Windows XP computers, but the thing is, whenever you plug in a flash drive or any storage device, it turns the files into shortcuts (.lnk) and whenever you try to open them, it just doesn't. On Windows XP they work fine, but when you plug it in a Windows 7 machine, expect all hell to break lose. And the worst is, if you managed to remove the virus, it leaves your files hidden, you can't unhide them because the virus locked the file, which means its hidden forever.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst virus I got was a trojan of some kind. I don't know how that virus worked but I'm sure that each time I connected to the net, my computer was used to send spam mail and do some illegal stuff. One time when I attempted to join a forum, I got a message that my IP had be flagged as a source of spam. Since I didn't do such things, I looked around the net and sure enough I found out my IP was blacklisted on several sites because I'd sent out spam 7096 times..

I decided to run a virus check to see if there was something wrong my computer and found that the trojan had been active for about a month. I had to change my ISP because they wouldn't assign me a new IP address.

I learned my lesson then. Scan your files and save yourself time and money trying to fix any damage a virus will do to you

9. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I havent had a virus in almost 4 years. But i remember the worst one was one that would just give you a warning that your computer is going to switch off in 2 minustes and there was nothing that you could do about it. It really messed with my life and i was not at all happy about that.

10. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Personally. I do not consider one worse than the other. They are all bad, and i take extreme action with everyone of them.

When my computer becomes infected i take zero chances. I do not run any anti virus cleaners to fix it. I find that anti virus programs leave remnant of the virus lingering around on my computer. That is not good.

What i do is, i restore my entire computer. That way there is no chance of virus lingering. The process of restoring my computer is a little time consuming, but my privacy is worth the wait. I would suggest everyone do the same. You cannot trust those anti virus programs to be 100% effective.

11. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    I think the worst virus was this virus that locked my computer and displayed a message that all content of my harddrive was going to be erased unless I sent a certain amount of bitcoins to a particular address. At the time, I had no idea what a bitcoin was so I was scrambling to learn how to get and send bitcoins. Thankfully, it all worked out and I didn't lose any day. I guess you could say it was one of the better viruses in that aspect lol

12. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    The worst virus I've ever gotten was the FBI Virus. It locks your computer and claims to be from the FBI. It tells you that you need to pay a $200 fine for illegal downloading via moneypak. It's all completely bogus, it's not really the FBI.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I got that one too. I feel like I've had them all. I was often able to remove them. Sometimes I had to reinstall Windows but my files were usually okay. 7 years later, it finally hit because that time I went to system restore it automatically went to destructive reinstall so yeah I had lost everything. I got data recovery to get it all back but man that was expensive and some files are corrupted and I don't know what to do them.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had some bizarre ones and some really annoying ones.

Of the more recent ones I had, one of the weirdest ones was streaming some sort of foreign radio station from my computer. I had noticed that my internet connection seemed sluggish as did my whole computer, but everything seemed OK when I would run antivirus scans. Then one day, I went to sync my computer up to my Jawbone Jambox wireless Bluetooth speaker. I started hearing this weird radio station playing in the background over the music I was actually playing. It would only happen when I synced to this one computer. The weird thing was I never heard this station coming through my computers own speakers, it was only when I synced up a speaker via Bluetooth.

I've also complained about this on some other threads, but a newer problem is that AdWare is being bundled into Chrome extensions. This is a real pain in the butt to spot, since there are no virus scanners for Chrome extensions, so you need to disable each of them one at a time to find out which one has it - very time consuming.

There's also annoying sites which will lock up your whole browser and computer with some fake warnings about the FBI seizing your computer until you pay some sort of fee. You need to Control-Alt-Delete to shut down the whole browser when this happens.

15. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really get viruses anymore. But I remember before I got this nasty one where a command prompt would come up, and you see them doing something, but this happened so fast that the prompt before I knew what was happening. Also, I was quite inexperienced or I would have pulled the plug immediately. Before I knew it he took our Windows 7 product key and was outta there.