Worth The Investment?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Diane_H • Jun 16, 2015.

1. Diane_H

Diane_HNew Member

Threads:
    What piece of clothing or apparel would you say is worth investing out of your normal price range to buy, and how far outside of your normal spending range do you think it's okay to go to purchase that item?

Once upon a time, I would have paid an extra one hundred to one fifty above my normal spending range for an Aigner purse, but the transition in ownership about twenty years back destroyed the my faith in the brand and the economy hasn't encouraged me to look for an alternative.

What clothing and apparel items are worth the investment to you?

2. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I will absolutely spend more on quality bras. I am a full figured and large busted lady and I HAVE to have durable and supportive bras that actually shape me. Mostly I prefer Cacique brand and I will always pay more for those even though I often wait for the sales or coupons to stock up.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I second bras, and I’ll add shoes to the list. I’ll admit I still buy the occasional inexpensive pair, but higher-quality materials tend to last longer. They can be more comfortable than the cheap pairs as well - at least if you’re not buying 4+ inch stilettos, haha.

4. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Bras and shoes, no doubt. I have to be really picky with those two items because they're the ones I have problems with the most. I'm a bit on the bustier side so buying a bra that would actually give the support I need and also the comfort is really hard when I only look at cheap or average priced bras so I always opt for the pricier and branded ones since they have the newest technology and best support ever. My feet are also a problem because I'm flat footed. With the wrong type of shoes, my feet would ache for weeks so I always invest in good shoes that won't wear out quickly and would be really comfortable for me to walk in to.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it's a decent bag. I can rarely be bothered to change my bag on a regular basis and tend to use the same one daily, unless it's a special occasion. I paid well over the odds for my current bag but I've been carting it around for 4 years now and it still looks good.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be shoes and bras for me also. I have a hard to fit foot which means I have to search for a long time to find a part of shoes to fit my feet. A cheap bra is very uncomfortable and your clothes will not look very appealing with ill fitting underwear.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I like to walk a lot, so investing in a good pair of tennis shoes is a must because we are not talking about a standard 15-30 minutes walk, but sometimes I have to walk from 6 to 8 hours, and sometimes even more.

This makes necessary tennis shoes with good arch support and solid manufacturing. I can't stand those cheaper shoes that make your heels look like have been passed for a waffle press when you take them out, besides leaving my feet hurting for days.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Agree with this as well. Like shoes, bags can take quite the daily beating. I bought a cheap one that fell apart after five or six years, but the one I’m using is almost ten years old if I recall. It’s paid for itself many, many times over by now.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I only really "invest" in work clothes. A nice dress shirt, pair of pants and decent shoes.
    I am lucky to be male and not need expensive bra's but I do understand buying the better quality ones.
    My drawers are far past the expiration date...

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh wow, bras seem to be the number one item so far. I don't wear bras. I probably should, as this has gotten me into trouble before. But they are so uncomfortable and restricting. I feel like I am wearing a seat belt, which reminds me of feeling sick since wearing one makes me more likely to get travel sick.

But my object would be a pair of trainers.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Shoes and dresses for me. I always spend decent amount of money on pretty but with high quality dresses and shoes.

12. cmjblue

cmjblueNew Member

Threads:
    I agree, a good bra is a must have. I have to spend a decent amount of money for my bras because I too am full busted. I also would probably splurge on a good handbag. I have a thing for purses! Especially designer brands.
    To be honest, I will gladly spend more money on any fashion item if the quality is there.

13. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely I think that spending a lot on a pair of jeans is a waste of time, just because they can easily be worn out and you may be spending a lot of money for nothing. A winter jacket is something that I would go out of my comfort zone to spend on. I live in Canada so winter jackets or "parkas" as we call it, will last a very long time. Say, it is winter here for about 4 months a year so investing in a good jacket is worth while. I will admit that I spent $300 on my winter jacket this year, but it was investment that will carry me over for many years.

When investing in something, think to yourself "how many times will I use it and how long will this last?" Definitely look up the reputations of what you're looking into so that you know if they are reliable or not.

14. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I think that if it's something you will keep wearing then it would be worth the money. Like for instance sandals. I will spend $100 for Berkinstocks so that I will be able to wear them for a long time. I think that it's smart to do it so that you will get good wear from them. I mean I would much rather have something that will last a long time. Not something that I'm going to have to keep replacing.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I do have a few things that I invest in. One would be bras. A good bra can make an outfit look better. A bad bra can transform your look downward. So I always buy more expensive bras. I love the Hanes non wire bras as they fit nice and do not hurt.

Two would be bag. I say invest in a bag that is neutral colored so that you can pair it with any outfit. Buy a durable bag that will fit all your necessities for everyday.

Last would be jeans. I love jeans that fit me well and does not wash out. Investing in a good quality jean would be a great idea because they never go ouy of style.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do sunglasses count? I'm very into sunglasses despite the fact I have to wear glasses. I wouldn't spend too much on them but I also don't like cheap ones. The last pair I got was 20 dollars and came with a warranty (although I might have missed the boat on it).

17. srock

srockNew Member

Threads:
    For me it's shoes. There are only a few brands of shoes that are very comfy for my feet and I only buy those brands (except for those fancy shoes I sometimes wear when I dress up!). I would spend up to $300 on a pair of shoes, especially if I know my feet will be happy and they'll last a long time.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with bras, you need good quality ones, specially for bigger sizes! I also think good social pants are worth investing a little more if you work at the corporate world and use formal outfits a lot. I would go as high as 200/300 for a really good pair.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it would have to be bras, shoes, a handbag, blazers and coats. I know it's a bit of a list, but I honestly believe that if these are of decent quality, you can pretty much get away with mid to lower priced items to complete your outfit. I know that no matter how dressed up I am, if my shoes aren't up to scratch, I feel very paranoid because I feel like everyone can see! I feel much better if I have decent shoes on to round off my outfit.

20. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the men, I used to see my father investing in an expensive suit. He said that grand occasions require good suits for men. And for me, I am enamoured in blazers that I use in the office as my uniform or sorts. I buy good blazers, the expensive ones, that fill my wardrobe closet.