Would a Positive Product Review Convince You To Buy

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Denis Hard • Oct 1, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few years back, Amazon was on the spotlight. It had to do something with reviews. Sellers would pay people to write positive reviews for their products hence misleading people [on the subject] of the quality of the product on sale. Considering the fact that this sort of thing is not unique to Amazon, the likelihood of getting phony reviews of products all over the place is quite high.

Would you therefore, buy a product from an online store because the reviews indicate that the product is great?

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Reviews will influence my decision if I believe the review is genuine and not paid for or by someone connected to the product. You would be surprised by the amount of fake reviews on Amazon. I will also seek the opinion of people I trust if they have owned the product. This is the case with clothes, I buy clothes which are respected for quality by my peers.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always been hesitant with reviews. I tend to believe the negative first when it comes to reviews, since nobody will pay for that lol. I also take into account how the reviews are written.. I have my own little system for reading them and it works out well for me.

4. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I am the type of person who always reads reviews before purchasing an item. So, I am swayed by the feedback of other consumers. I will admit that a positive review is enough to make me purchase an item. I will also say that a negative review is enough to stop me from purchasing an item. However, I usually check out multiple reviews and take an average of them all before making a decision.

5. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    YES, I love reading reviews, mostly on Amazon. I do know that they farm out reviews to fake review places. BUT that is why Amazon will NOW show you if the person writing the review actually bought the product! Those are the most helpful and trustworthy reviews. Look for those!
    It will say: Amazon Verified Purchase

6. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I am known to read reviews before I buy something online. I was just looking at reviews for my daughter's possible Halloween costume. It does influence me, but I do look for reviews in multiple places. Amazon in a biggie, but I'll look on other websites and see what their reviews are as well. If I see a common theme then I know there clearly has to be an issue.

7. drpiggledy

drpiggledyNew Member

Threads:
    I must be a bit naive but I actually never thought about there being fake reviews in Amazon. I'll keep an eye out for it from now on.

I do read reviews, and I find that the negative ones are often a lot more informative anyway. Often, the reviewer has a very specific complaint, which may or may not be relevant to me and my intended use of the product.

I usually Google the item with the word review and see what comes up. While I'm sure some of the reviews you find on blogs etc are fake as well, some of them are bound to be true as well.

8. rand paul

rand paulNew Member

Threads:
    It would really depend where the review was from.
    Perhaps I am just paranoid but there seems to be a lot of product placement and suspicious advertising about these days.

9. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Nowadays, relying solely on product reviews in buying products could not be considered a good practice. Not only you are risking yourself in buying deceptive products but also making this type of "modus" effective.

However, if you can verify that the reviews that you read are indeed legit then that's the time you take those reviews into account. :)

The best source for a reliable and legit review would be from someone or somebody you personally know.

10. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't go on just one single review. I would do my own in-depth research and read a variety of reviews to come to a conclusion.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Not at all because of the fact I know a lot of products have reviews from people who were paid to give good reviews. I guess I just go on my gut and I make sure whatever I get has a return policy so in case it's now what I thought I can send it back and get my money back.

12. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I like to read reviews. I will read them if I'm comparing products. It sucks when you don't know which are truthful and which aren't. I love that Amazon tells you that the person bought the item. That's great!!

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've always considered product reviews only in they seem balanced or exceptionally genuine....otherwise I don't pay much attention to them either way. I love some things that get negative reviews, and have had awful experiences with some things that were rated quite high.

14. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    Well i believe everyone who want to purchase something online always tend to find out reviews before they go ahead and make a purchase. So as for me to tell you the truth, I do put my trust in reviews at times but I always try to have an open mind because people can get paid to write positive reviews and result in leaving me with false feedback. So I can say somewhat I tend to believe the reviews online because not everything online is truth.

15. megan6599

megan6599New Member

Threads:
    Positive reviews of a product would not always make me want to buy it. Sure, it would give me more motivation but I would have to have seen the product in a trust worthy shop before I decide to buy it. I had once read a great review for some fake tan that I was thinking of buying and when I saw that my favourite drugstore, Boots, had it on sale I bought it and was really glad I did.

16. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I usually read as many of the reviews both good and bad, and make an assessment based on whether I should buy the product or not. I especially pay attention to reviews from persons who have actually bought the product. I also look at the number of reviews made. I also have my personal strategy to determine whether or not a review is fake or real.

#16Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Call me a cynic but I think you can learn more from the negative reviews. I was tempted to buy a sausage maker, it had plenty of good reviews but the negative reviews confirmed my suspicions about the product, it wasn't totally safe because of the materials used. Sometimes the item description is very poor and the negative reviews give you more information.

18. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It would sway me in that it could spur me on to continue my research of a particular product. Or, if I have read and agreed with previous reviews by the person, that would help.

19. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Usually if there is more than 90% good reviews then there is a very good chance that I will buy the product if I had been listing over it for a long time. Therefore in some cases a good review might convince me in the positive direction to finally purchase something.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I would buy a product if the reviews were great, but of course I'm also vigilant to research about other reviews as well from blogs or any site that has nothing to gain from posting positive or negative reviews.