Would a Word-Count Program Here Be Worth the Extra Power-Usage?

Discussion in Suggestions & Feedback started by mythman • Apr 25, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, maybe a word-count here on Don't Pay Full would be a tiny-program (or not, I don't know; I only LOOK LIKE a nerd :D ); but those little bits of bytes add-up to huge, chompin` bites of bits (megabits? 'jiggawatts?' :p )

But I've heard (on this or another forum

:D ) that 'there is a minimum-required limit of 60 words here on DontPayFull.' So I sometimes (if I don't feel that I've 'waxed rhapsodic' enough on a particular topic) take my post's text to

But sometimes people are too 'busy' to open up a whole-`nother page. Might be worth it to throw a 'word-count'-program in the code here, you think?

2. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I could really use one of those. I never know whether I'm posting enough words or not. 60 words certainly is not a lot, but a short response might come naturally for some posts. If there were a word counter on here, it would be easier to figure out if your post is long enough, and you wouldn't have to worry about going on another site or trying to hand count your words or anything. You also wouldn't have to worry as much about breaking the rules.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, but--like I said--it might chew up the bandwidth our admins are paying-for/managing, making posting into a process that's a longer wait than it's worth.

4. stardisgate

stardisgateNew Member

Threads:
    That would be neat. Especially for sites where you are required to write a certain amount. I would love to do have something to tell how much I am or have written. It would a good tool and nifty as well.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see the point of having a word count program. 60 words or whatever rule stops scammers on their tracks because they mostly do one liners and hop off.

I'm sure that if you write a comment that's three or four lines long you'd have your 60 words. But with or without a word count program I suppose its easy to make an approximation [which may or may not be accurate] but which nonetheless might be helpful.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using an online word counting tool (particularly

) for some time now but not for forum posting or other similar purpose. I use it when writing blog posts or an article for a client. My daughter also use it from time to time as some of her writing assignments are requiring a certain number of words. It's really a helpful writing tool for me although I don't feel the need for it when it comes to forum posting or blog commenting. :)

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see the point of having a word counter on the posts either, I don't think there's any situation where I'm over-thinking about how many words I've written in the post.
    I think trying to attain some arbitrary word count would lead you to padding out your posts without adding any substance. As long as you get your point across and it's a valid point which adds value to the conversation, I don't think anybody will consider you a spammer.