Would poor credit stop you from marrying?

Discussion in Loans started by novasparker • Dec 5, 2012.

1. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Would poor credit of someone be something that would stop you from marrying? What if they were honest with you very early in the relationship about their credit? I am simple curious as to how others feel about this. I would probably still marry them if we could keep things separate.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say yes, because a marriage has to be stable, so I would like to avoid problems about money especially when it comes to marrying someone, so I wold definitely postpone the idea until both of us are already financially stable.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If they're honest enough to admit to the problem, and wise enough to work on a way to keep their spending in check and their marriage happy, it wouldn't stop me if I really loved them. I'd insist on separate bank accounts though, and I'd want to take control of the regular household payments. I was married to a financial disaster for 20 years, and I would never want to repeat that experience.

My second husband loves to spend money, but he always makes sure the bills are paid, and that we put aside money each month for savings. That's the way to be.

4. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I would have to say I would still marry them. I wouldn't let their credit score stop them. I would marry them because just because they have a poor credit score doesn't mean that they are not working towards getting their bills paid on time and working to repair their credit. We never know why or how a person ends up with bad credit it could be that they just do not have credit or pay everything with cash. Nowadays no credit is just as bad as bad credit. Since he is honest we would have to talk to see what we could do to get his credit straightened out just plan and be supportive!

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would marry them but I would want to keep my bank account separate and I would want to take control of the family finances. Not to be bossy and controlling but just to make sure things are paid on time and to make sure that we get the best deals on things that we need. I'm the one who's frugal and clips coupons and comparison shops, so this would be a crisis situation where my skills could help get my partner on a more solid financial footing.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    When I was young it probably wouldn't have bothered me in the least, that is unless it was really, really bad. Now that I am older and wiser and know what everything from car insurance to buying a home to even getting a job can be effected by your car insurance, I would have to give it some real thought. I think the best thing for both parties would be to do whatever they could to straighten out their finances before getting legally married.

Sometimes credit issues are the result of naivete and sometimes it's due to bad habits that need to be changed. If a person can not be mature and responsible with their finances they are not going to make a good life partner.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the situation. It his credit is bad because of poor mismanagement and he's not even making an effort to clean up his credit, then no, I wouldn't marry him. "How you do anything, is how you do everything." I don't want to marry a large child.

If it was because of medical issues or even bad judgement, but he is working to resolve the problem, then yes.

8. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it would depend on how they got into bad debt. I have had my own debt issues in the past so I cant really judge someone for their own issues. If the person got in debt because of unforeseen medical issues then I can accept this, especially if they aren't going to make me take on the burden of settling this debt along with them. I also might not considering marrying them till they start to prove that they are settling the debt in some way.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can be held responsible for your spouses debt in some states. If it is due to medical bill we would talk, if it is because the person is completely reckless with money and always looking for someone to take care of them there is no way I would get involved with that headache.

I was married to a big child that left me with two kids and bills to pay we couldn't buy dirt if we wanted to. Once I got rid of him I got my credit together and could get anything I wanted.

Right now a lot of people have credit problems because of lay offs, down seizing and companies closing. This effects people and some never get over the lose they have suffered and can drag you down also.

10. Prag-Mattic

Prag-MatticNew Member

Threads:
    Unless your name is on your spouse's debts, be it as an authorized user on their credit card or if you've opened up a joint credit card account w/ them, then you're not responsible for their bad debts. That said, it's important to know your significant other's credit/debt situation before you get hitched since they're bad credit could make it hard to get approved for financial landmark items like a mortgage or car loan. Unsecured personal loans are still in option in that case (here's a link to a site that can help you find one:

) but ultimately these loans can end up carrying some seriously high interest.

#10Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  11. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    I will definitely depend on the nature of the person..if he is honest enough to admit that he is on the verge of getting financially broke and has the will to stand again than i would definitely marry him..rather not to be too bold but i guess i am gonna find someone who is as confident as me so i guess there won't be any room for this problem to exist.

12. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    OK here is the deal. I married one. I did not know it at the time but it does present challenges. I love him so I decided to go ahead and marry him. First and foremost keep your money separate and consult a lawyer on how to legally keep you finances separate. Having a verbal agreement is not going to help when the collectors start knocking on your door. Two make sure the reason for his poor credit is not about gambling or other possibly addictive activities which I am happy my hubby does not have because other wise don't marry the person. It is something that needs professional therapy and loving the person to death is not going to solve it. Last but not the least make sure he is comfortable with handing his money to you when pay day comes so that you can help him with his budget.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to go with what someone else here said about finding out what the cause is behind the poor credit. I would also want to find out how willing this person would be to changing their financial habits. I don't know if I would forego a wedding just because someone had bad credit, but then again maybe I would. Depends on how bad the credit is. Depends on who, and how much, this person owes. Also depends on if I see a pattern of them asking me for my money.

14. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would still marry them it wouldn't matter to me how good or bad their credit was.

15. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Sort of. I wouldn't marry if i didn't had the money for the ceremony, but that wouldn't stop me from getting together with the person that i loved, i would just ask her to hold on until i had the money for it. And even if she didn't had much money too, i would understand that nowadays it's rough for everyone.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I originally said I would marry someone with bad credit. But I don't want to get married ,ever, so their credit wouldn't affect me. I'm just going to date. I'm not going to live with or marry anyone.

I had a taste of that for 10 years and I'm not cut out for it.
    But I would date someone with bad credit, if I was attracted to them and they didn't ask me to cosign anything for them.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My priorities and goals are much different from most people's.. I would definitely still marry them (or not, I don't care about legal marriage).

18. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it would stop me from getting married, but not stop me from dating them. I don't need the legal agreement telling me that I am committed to somebody so marriage is not at all a priority in life. I don't need a partner to have great credit because I don't believe in even using credit cards let alone getting loans at this point. But I wouldn't marry somebody with bad credit because I wouldn't want my money to be considered or levied upon at any point over somebody else's debt.

As for being in relationship, credit means nothing to me - as long as I am not paying or responsible for paying their debt.

19. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    If he is working, but do have bad credit, I will marry him. But if he doesn't have a job and I do, then maybe we can wait for him to find a job. Marriage is a big step. We need to be financially stable. It's for our future. Another thing if I can see that he is doing something and not just a lazy guy lying on bed the wholeday. We need to set rules, like he is the one responsible for the payment of this, and I'll go pay for that. I'll keep my money, he can keep his.

20. ideasonfinancing

ideasonfinancingNew Member

Threads: