Would You Accept Cast-offs/ Hand-Me-Downs?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Oct 1, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Scenario #1
    Friends or relatives buy clothes. They wear them for a little while and move on the next fad. Since you are not fashion-conscious, they decide to gift you with their out-of-fashion clothes.

Scenario #2
    Friends or relatives by clothes but for some reason they don't like them. To get them off their hands, they decide to hand them over to you.

Scenario #3
    Friends or relatives gain weight. To get rid of the evidence that proves they used to be leaner, they ask you if you can accepts the clothes which don't fit them anymore.

Scenario #4
    You have a new kid. Relatives and friends hunt through their closets to find all the clothes they'd ever bought for their kids. Since you can find them useful, they send them over to you.

Can be a great way to save cash. Would you accept such clothes?

2. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Free clothes are free clothes to me. I love free items. I am currently losing a lot of weight to where I need a whole new wardrobe. I am receiving my cousins old clothes since they do not fit him anymore.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually it's the other way around and I give most of my clothes away and everyone is very happy as most of my clothes haven't been worn. I have had some clothes from friends too, especially when people do clear outs. I have had a few winter jackets and scarves which are useful, but those are the only things I tend to take.

4. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! Free clothes are wonderful, and there are some great threads on here about modifying different clothes to make something unique for yourself. It's so rewarding and if you're like Theo you can give them a whole new life by donating them when you're done.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do accept hand-me-downs. In fact, all members of our family have benefited from clothes that fall under all the scenarios you mentioned. My sons have been given hand-me-down shoes from friends who have sons older than mine. You know how fast children outgrow their shoes. Some pairs still look new. Before friends give these used clothes, they would politely ask if I would want these just to avoid any misinterpretation. They want to be sure I am not offended by their offer.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! I do not care about fashion or if my clothes belonged to someone else. Free clothing means I did not have to buy them, which is huge for me right now. I don't have the money to spend on new clothing anyway, so this would be a step better than Goodwill because at least I know where they came from and that my family will have washed them properly before giving them to me.

I received a number of great clothes when my sister grew taller than me and I was super excited about that. I still have some of them.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Sure, I would accept hand me downs. I've done it before. The main thing is that they have to be in decent to excellent condition. I'm not so snobby that I won't accept used clothes from someone else. It's a common sense move for me personally. Why wouldn't I want to save money?

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really care where my clothes come from as long as they are clean and suitable for me. I always think that it is a kind gesture of my relatives and friends to offer me clothes that they don't like to wear anymore, or that they have never worn at all. I am always grateful for whatever I receive. :)

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely- my family and even some very close friends will all share things and pass them around if there are scenarios where one no longer wants or can fit or whatever...and why not? You get it for free, from someone that you know takes care of their things, and they get rid of something that they don't want taking up space anymore. I don't have any problem with it at all.

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely, I love swapping clothes with family and friends. I think it's very thoughtful when someone offers me something and would never look down on it. Sometimes not everything is my style or fits me and if that's the case I just pass those items off to other people who may benefit from them. I think hand me downs are most beneficial with children, they grow so fast some outfits may only be worn a few times and be good as new.

11. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely! Free clothes are always a good deal. Worst comes to worst, I could donate the clothing to Goodwill and receive tax benefits for donating to a charity. It's an all around good deal that takes care of a number of problems.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Of course.

And I do it a lot with my own clothes, too. Sometimes there is still plenty of life left in various clothing, but it just isn't for me (or the other person) any more. There's no reason not to pass it on.

What I don't like is when someone tries giving me hand-me-downs that should really just be trashed instead (like with stretched waist bands, holes, etc...).

13. MomFirst

MomFirstNew Member

Threads:
    It works both ways for me. I usually donate and give away clothing and stuff. I also choose to do some shopping at second hand stores that offer washed and disinfected clothing. They usually have great deals on brand name clothing. I know it may seem as though some people shop brands to be style conscious but I was taught that they usually just last longer. I still wear clothing from high school and I'm very close to thirty.

Some of the local stores in my area that offer great deals on second hand brand named items:
    Infants and Kids: Once Upon A Child
    Teens and Young Adults: Plato's Closet
    Maternity/Professionals: Clothes Mentor

Hope this helps! :cool:

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course I would, I think only arrogant or super rich people would probably refuse free clothes. And if ever none fits me or I don't like their design, then I can always try to sell them on Ebay. So it's a win-win situation for both parties.

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Why not? As long as the clothes fit me. I have no qualms with receiving hand-me-downs because it has been the practice in my family ever since. I have three older siblings, and when something doesn't fit them anymore, I get them.