Would You Buy A Fancy Fake?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mackmax • Jan 21, 2015.

1. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    There are many designer replicas that look exactly like the real thing, but have a much cheaper price. I've seen Louis Vuitton replicas that, if I didn't know any better, I would swear they were the real thing. On one hand, who cares if they're not authentic, it is the same quality and look and at a cheaper price! But on the other, buying a fake is very disrespectful towards the designer, and something about owning a fake just doesn't seem right, at least in my opinion.
    So, would you buy a designer replica, or do you only stick to the real thing?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a "genuine fake" bag a couple of years ago when I was on holiday in Turkey. I just really liked the bag, it was a great shape and color. It has lasted well and I still use it today. I understand what you mean about disrespecting the real designers but I figure that they have enought cash as it is! Then I tell myself that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I say that I would, but every time I have the opportunity to buy a good fake I never go through with it. I just don't feel right, I guess I am just not the personality that can pull that off.

I do have a friend that buys many fakes and she pulls it off no problem. Her Louis Vuitton handles never yellow... and she still carries them as though they're the real thing. The funny thing is she has real LV pieces too! Some people just love that brand...

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not into designer items at all, so for sure I would not buy genuine or fake items that are imitations of the real thing. The only exception to that is when I won the lotto and I'm too bored with my money, so I'll just spend it buying designer items.

5. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    The breakpoint for me was when I got a hoodie from a specialized shop for about 40$. A few months go by and i'm in another city just shuffling through another brand shop. Behold my precious hoodie with another logo slapped on and it was at 100$. That's when I decided I will buy whatever I like and not care where they come from anymore.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what's disrespectful? Throwing together a bit of fabric and thread and charging people thousands of dollars for it. That's disrespectful. I wouldn't buy a knock off just for the simple reason that I wouldn't want anyone even for a second thinking I support such snobbery lol. The world is poor.. there is no excuse for people like them.

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really care about designer brands, so I probably wouldn't either bother buying the knock-offs. I know a lot of street vendors in Philly will be hawking the "genuine fakes" on the sidewalk around the common tourists spots, to try and get some shoobies to buy something, but isn't that the first indicator that you shouldn't buy it? I dunno, I was taught to never buy something off a street vendor, since they're all just trying to rip you off.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never liked fake pieces. I would never buy one, specially an expensive replica. I'm not rich, so people would naturally deduct that it's a replica, especially in my country where people tend to wear fakes all the time. I like it better using a cheaper brand that people know is real than wearing something really expensive that everyone knows it's fake!

9. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's direspecting the designer anymore.

A few years ago, while doing an internship for a shoe retail website, I watched a video of the Gucci marketing director discussing the subject of knockoff and how they deal with them. And he said that they don't care so much for the knockoff brands because people who buy knockoffs are not Gucci's customers. People who buy Gucci or any other high end brand buy it for the name, not for the quality. He actually stated that he has seen knockoffs of the same quality as the brand, but at 10% of the price. To him, people who buy it for the design or the quality aren't necessarily their clients or more rather form a limited niche.

I looked for a source for the video, but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep on looking for it and post the link when I do.

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it is and where I'm going with it. I have several pairs of fake designer sunglasses, because, who cares? I like them and I'm not wearing them for the brand name, but for the look. Plus, I lose sunglasses so often I can't afford to pay more than 10 dollars for them.

Handbags though? Or a designer piece of jewelry (like a watch). Sorry. I'm probably not going to buy fake with that stuff. It seems like it would cheapen it for me on the day I can afford the real thing. I guess I figure, if I can't afford it, why pretend?

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I hate patronizing fake items. If I think I can't afford to buy the real ones, I would rather just buy cheaper brands instead of buying fake luxury items. For example, if you really want to buy leather stuff, Coach or even Calvin Klein are good alternatives. They are not as expensive as Louis Vuitton, but their leather can last a lifetime too. And you're right, buying fake items is simply disrespect for those designers who worked hard through the years to build their brand.

12. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen some replicas that are really good. You would not know the difference. They come with all the labels and packaged in identical boxes as well. It is incredible that they copy the purse to every little detail. However, for me I just know deep down inside that it is fake and it doesn't really satisfy me.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really that hung up on designer brands, to be honest. I just go off what I like in the moment; if what I like is designer, then I may buy it. But it's because I like it over and above it being designer. I've seen some before, but the stuff looked tacky and horrible, so that was a straight no. It would also depend on what it was. You do put out a very argument for why it's wrong, but if I saw some gorgeous fake Gucci/Dior etc jeans and other clothing items that looked authentic at cheap prices chances are yes, I'd be straight in there. A bit shameful, but I'm being honest :)

14. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm so out of touch with designer brands and fashion in general that I wouldn't know if something I bought was supposed to be a knock-off or not. About all I would know is that it appealed to me, since I bought it. At least I hope it would appeal to me. I have been known to buy things and wonder what the heck I had seen in them once I got them home.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy jewelry or designer clothes; so it really is no big thing to me if it looks like an expensive brand and isn't. If it looks nice to me, and I can afford it, and it does what I need it to do, then I am satisfied.
    Now, sometimes, it IS worth it to me to by the real brand and not a fake one that looks similar.
    I have some antique dishes that were made years ago in Southern California by Franciscan.
    They are beautiful !
    Eventually, the company was sold, and the next generation of Franciscan ware was made in England. They are still quality dishes; but not the same as the original.
    Now the company has been sold again, and I have forgotten where the Franciscan is being made; but even though it is still handmade, it has NONE of the beauty and quality of the original, and really doesn't even look like the same china pattern.
    So, sometimes, the quality really makes a world of difference ! !

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've bought fakes before and I was fairly satisfied. They looked just like the original and they lasted longer than I expected. I would probably buy some fakes here and there again but honestly I'd much rather just buy the original ones if I could. If some other brand with the same price as the fake ones popped up, I might just go for that instead since presumably the quality would be a bit better.