Would You Buy an Ebook Reader or Tablet for Your Kid?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by PubD • Nov 12, 2012.

1. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I have a 10 year-old son who loves reading. My home is littered with his books. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I'm running out of shelf space, and was thinking of getting him a kindle or a cheap tablet for ebook reader for him. Do you think that's too much for a kid? Do you know a kid who has an ereader? Do they use it/ like it?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My step daughter got one last year for Christmas she an e reader and if your child loves to read like her than they the e reader is the way to go she loves her's shes always reading and also you can play games and do other things besides reading on it too .

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you have a 10 year old avid reader, a kindle would be the perfect gift. I would definitley go with the kindle or the nook since you will have a wider choice of books to put on it.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    If it's just going to be used for reading, then the most reasonable choice would be an e-book. The screen brightness changes automatically so that your eyes don't get hurt, and, also, it costs less than a tablet does.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    If it's just for reading then you should just take the kid to the library. Kids are always looking at screens these days. I have read studios on eye strain and these poor kids are going to all need glasses when they grow up.

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I like reading too and so I suggest go buy one for him. KindleFire is a bit expensive than Coby Kyrus Tablet which can also be use as ebook reader. Its good for kids as they'd like to have access online while reading ebooks.

7. Thorarin

ThorarinNew Member

Threads:
    I think it's a wonderful idea. So many children don't seem to enjoy reading any more, and anything to foster the love for reading will be a great help.

In the end, it doesn't matter what he uses to read, as long as he's reading. Kids seem to love gadgets also, so mixing them together can only lead to a positive result.

8. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    That's why I've been hesitating about going to a tablet for him. I might just give him an eink device. I want him to be able to access the library's ebook collection too. We use the library A LOT, but they don't always have the books he wants to read... budget cuts seem to be killing their acquisitions of juvenile fiction.

9. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I understand your hesitation because of your son's age. But I have heard about a kindle 6 inch tablet that is going to be on sale from Amazon after the Thanksgiving for around $69. Now don't hold me to this, because i have heard through third parties, but the tablet usually sells for around $89 which still isn't a bad price for a tablet when you think about it. If your son is responsible enough, this might be a great gift for him.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You know him better than we do. I don't think it's out of the question entirely. Kids younger than that are perfectly fine with handheld gaming consoles like Gameboys and Nintendo DSes. So if you think he's responsible enough for that, then go for it. It'll certainly free up some shelf space.

11. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    E-book readers are great as presents. Remember to choose an e-book reader with e-ink technology. My cousin bought one for his son and he likes reading e-books a lot.

12. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    Personally I wouldn't. Children's books are best enjoyed in the physical form I feel, and the standard Kindle does not have full colour pictures which means it is not a engaging for younger children, in my opinion.

I brought myself one as I had so many books and wanted so many more that I was running out of space and it was more practical to buy a Kindle; the books can often be cheaper as well.

If you do decide to buy a Kindle there are some great offers in Amazon's Warehouse Deals section. This is available year round and you can save a good bit of money there but the goods are sometimes refurbished.

I know someone who brought a Kindle for their teenager and they hated it as they thought it was too 'grown up' and they wanted a fun present.

13. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I know my son loves collecting print books -- that's part of the problem, since kids books these days don't just come in singles, they come in series, so if I buy him one, he wants all 10, or however many there are. He's too old to care about color pictures -- I don't think any of his books have come with pictures for a long time, so that's not a concern... there might be something to getting him a 'fun' present as well... I'll have to think about that.

14. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    If you want him to use it for reading. Get the e-ink readers. DON'T get a tablet.

15. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it will be a good idea. IA cheap tablet with limited specs would be great to prevent your kid from being addicted to games and could use the tablet more for reading.

16. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I think an ebook reader is a good idea. Your son can read a lot more books with an ebook reader and it will cost you much less. Of course if you can stretch your budget to get a tablet so much the better. I have no problem with children playing games. It's up to us as parents to guide them on what games they should play. There are plenty of games with educational value.

17. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I would avoid the tablet because it's expensive, can break easily and is really bad for your eyes. But if your child is an avid reader as you say then I would get them an eReader, though I don't even have one for myself. Preferably, I would get them the Amazon Kindle because they can download tens of thousands of books for free and read the classics like Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Balzac, etc.

18. skyby7

skyby7New Member

Threads:
    I don't have kids but I'd never buy them a tablet.

A kindle or e-reader is more sensible though. If your kids are that much into books I say go ahead with the Kindle, I heard they dont break easily either.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My ten year old niece got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She does read many of the books for report on the Kindle, but she's not that crazy about it. Most of the time, she leaves it at my place. LOL!

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong in giving your kid an ebook reader because it is more practical than buying lots of books. Besides, we are already in the digital age, so it's now common for kids to stare at screens, so go for it.