Would you buy an expensive phone from China?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by oldwriter • Aug 13, 2014.

1. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Look at this telephone:

It costs over $400 but has pretty good performance judging its features. The question is whether you would recommend buying a phone of this price from China or not.

Commonly, people associate China with cheap Chinese products, but lately I have seen price tags quite on par with Western prices.

Is there sufficient perception of confidence in China already to give the green light to these type of purchases routinely? (in your opinion).

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Huawei is a very reputable company and they produce high quality products. It doesn't mean that if something is made in China, it's already sub standard. I think it's worth purchasing the phone that you have posted above since it has a bunch of hard-to-beat specs! Octa Core? Gorilla Glass? 4G LTE? 3GB RAM? Wow, those are really high end specs. I've got some question marks on the phone though...
    -how powerful is the camera?
    -is it water proof?
    -does the design fit your taste?

If you love the specs and if you love the look of the phone, then, certainly buy it.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy an expensive phone from anywhere because I always lose them. But Huawei is a respectable brand of phone and many Chinese electronics are pretty decent. I'm still impressed with my Chinese tablet, which is holding up pretty well.

4. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I have no qualms buying a phone from China up to say $250, but anything beyond that I get a bit shaky. I was actually glancing at a few Lenovo phones the other day on AliExpress just out of curiosity, but I started to get worried about the lack of XDA developer support or Android updates moving forward. I'm spoiled with my Nexus 5 though, but right now we seem to be plateauing in terms of hardware specs on most devices.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    At that price I honestly would much rather just spend on a more popular brand, but admittedly for mostly only shallow reasons, but I think it's warranted since I think I might as well buy a more prestigious brand if I were to spend that much. Additionally, I myself also factor the sound and look of the brand name and logo and certain Chinese brands, especially this one, just doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I'd consider it for some of the newer brands that sound and look a bit more modern and trendy, but even then I'd only do so for a much lower price.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used Huawei products before and I'd not hesitate to buy any of their products.

Those who believe that the quality of Chinese products is not that high should try them some time and I'm sure you'll be surprised to learn that despite the price difference, the electronics last quite so long, do the job they're supposed to well enough and so on. But then when making a purchase make sure you're buying from a reputable company.

So if the phone is made by a reputable company then I'd buy it if I needed it no matter how expensive if it was because I'm certain the price of a similar phone elsewhere would be much higher.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchase the same phone from ebay I paid right at about 100.00 for it only thing I didnt like about was that it didnt give me all the features that I needed in my area some of them didnt work. I like that it used 2 sims cards so I had a choice to use 2 different numbers.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not surprised that it was that expensive, since Huawei is a reputable brand. I won't mind buying that one since it's from Huawei, but if it's not from a reputable brand then I would probably not buy it. I noticed that my Huawei USB modem is still working fine with no problems since 2012, so I can vouch for the durability of the brand.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I would purchase an expensive phone from China if someone else in America (a reliable person I knew) gave it a good review. Also, since my purchase would be online, I'd look for the phone to be available on a familiar site with an excellent reputation. Otherwise, I'd pass.

Spending $400 on a phone from a sketchy source is too risky. It's better to buy a product from a place that you can easily access as a consumer.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem with high-end Chinese phones is that they often cut corners somewhere, so you might see great specs and wind up with poor battery life, poor screen quality, or something worse. I'd never buy one of these phones because I'm perfectly happy with what I can get in the United States. I've seen far too many reviews of Chinese devices that come with a number of shortcomings that you can't see without having the phone in your hand.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never buy appliances or gadgets that are made in China much more if it is expensive. China-made goods are always suspect for their quality so I make it a point to buy only from reliable companies. But small items like blank CD or even USB disks is all right to buy from China.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know how true the reports are but even if new Chinese phone models have better quality this time around, manufacturers still haven't perfected the art of reducing or eliminating radiation. There were reports a year or so ago, when iPhone 6 was still in the process of mass production, saying that Chinese laborers who helped assemble the latest Apple smartphone model contracted cancer. It was also said that Lenovo products have the highest radiation concentration of all gadgets.

13. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't personally buy an expensive phone from China, not because i have anything against them but it is one of those purchases i still prefer to make in store. I like to be able to see and touch the product and am always worried i will make the wrong choice if i order it online.

I tend to remain loyal to the high street stores when it comes to expensive goods and i certainly wouldn't buy a car from Ebay for example, it's just not the way i do business. I would be tempted to buy from China bulk low value items to re sell however, a lot of people do that successfully.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't buy an expensive phone, ever. I can get calls and texts with a $20 phone.
    For everything else, there are computers.

15. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty darn good specs there, though if I were you or anyone else I wouldn't consider buying Chinese products because, even though I don't agree with the general stereotypes, the Chinese product ones are probably the most accurate.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an expensive phone because I use it for work. If I did not need the features for work I would use a basic phone instead of an upgraded smartphone. I don't know if I would purchase the phone from China because of the issue with quality of the product.

17. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I would! Actually I did! I already bought two phones that were from a chinese brand. I have the Xiaomi Mi3 last year and I also got the Meizu MX4 early this year. This is from a guy who also uses iPhone and Samsung Note 3. :)

I know some would say that the quality is poor but I'm telling you guys, these two chinese phones that I have have specs that could compete with Samsung and LG in a price of half.

18. jackhaal

jackhaalNew Member

Threads:
    Well, the only type of phone that I like are iPhones. That's why I wouldn't buy any phone other than an iPhone (okay, maybe I buy an android, but I buy an iPhone if I could). $400 isn't that cheap. You can get a secondhand iPhone 5s on eBay for less than that. That's why I'd rather just buy an iPhone 5 or something like that and use it instead of cheap phones from China, which I know nothing of.

19. Aasif Khan

Aasif KhanMember

Threads:
    Huawei Honor 6 is a pretty good bang for the buck phone out there. Quality wise, Huawei is a respectable brand, but make sure they have service centers at your place. I cannot recommend buying it from they link you have listed since I have not bought from that site before. I have an alternate recommendation though. The LG G2(and may be G3, check it out) will cost less than $400 in eBay. They have excellent brand value compared to Huawei and also they were awarded 'phone of the year' awards in both 2013 and 2014. They will give you the best value for your money.

20. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I'd consider after sales service and constant upgrades and driver upgrades before buying a gadget. I have had a positive experience with Huawei with my wired phone still pulling along after 5 or more years. However, I don't get any updated drivers.

Reputation is an important factor for me personally. If a product dished out from a country proves to be faulty after some time, I can't immediately buy another. It would waste my hard earned money. I've nothing against China, but I can't rely on their gadgets.