Would You Buy an Older Model To Save Money?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Jan 14, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every few months these days new phones, more powerful computers, etc, etc are made and buyers are persuaded into buying these newly released electronics [at higher prices] because they have some great new features, etc, etc. The marketers only tell half the truth though. The old models they eagerly advice you to dump are just as good.

So sometimes instead of dashing in to buy the newest phone in the market, buy an old, cheaper model which works just as well.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over the past couple of years, this would have been perfect, spot-on advice. However, the introduction of Android 5.0 opens up 64-bit processing on smartphones running the OS. A couple of years from now, we'll likely see most devices running on 64-bit processors. Most phones lack such processors today, and that's especially true of devices from even a year or two ago. At some point, older models are going to become more of a burden, at least those with 32-bit processors (once again, most devices available today). This advice is still solid moving forward, as long as people are buying 64-bit devices a year or two from now.

3. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I would say in many cases yes, for the amount you pay for a brand new hot-gadget, you will expense! There are some exceptions like troutski mentioned, but for the majority of the people out there we should ask ourselves this question, "Do I really need all these new features, will it really add that much value to my life?" I still have an IPhone 4 which still works great, and does everything I need it to do. I most likely won't update until it stops working, and then even when I do update, it most likely won't be the newest model.

That's my 2 cents.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I'd say YES to that. Last year, my husband bought the latest model of a certain phone. Since I also needed a phone badly, I thought I would buy one for myself too. I went for the same brand as my husband's phone but mine is an older model. I really don't mind if it doesn't have the new features that the newer model has offered. For me, it works fine and the best bargain is the price. I got mine for almost half the price of the new model. Needless to say, I saved a lot of money and went on to buy some other things.

5. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would go for an older model if it had roughly the same specs and features (about 90%) as the new-release model and price that's far below the new-release model (about 60% or lower). I believe part of what they sell with the new release is prestige. They know that good amount of people like to show off their newly purchased smartphones to their friends and that's why they keep using that same strategy. I don't care about prestige so it is fine for me to stick with older models with price almost half as cheap as newer ones. I don't change smartphones as well and keep using them until they're broken beyond repair. As long as they work well, I will be satisfied.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I would because newer models always have glitches and I would rather they sort them all out and by that time the price will have come down and a newer one is already in its place. It doesn't bother me using older models as long as there is a charger and software to support it, why not? Technology moves so fast everything is old after a year anyhow.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course I would purchase an older model in order to save money. Sometimes it isn't even about purchasing an older model in order to save money. Sometimes it is just about not having the money to get a more up-to-date model initially lol. As long as the purchase - whether it is a phone or a computer, or tablet - does what I want it to, or performs the tasks that I am purchasing it to perform, then I have no issue with buying anything that is an older model. Sometimes these newer models have a whole load of features that I am never going to use anyway.

8. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would go with an older model. Sometimes it suits my needs and it's not worth the full price. But with the new androids, this has to be an improvement. Mostly because the new models support 64 bit which older models don't. But it depends, really, do you need a rocket as a phone? I'm overly happy with my S4 and do not see the need to replace it anytime soon.

9. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    I feel like most people are not actually that aware of the detailed specs of their smartphones, for example the processor speeds or what kind of chip its using, therefore they might not care whether it is a slightly older model, since it's most likely going to be cheaper. I know for a fact that old people sometimes don't want to upgrade because once they've gotten used to one of the devices, they don't want to change as its too much of a hassle. I personally however would always prefer to get the newest one I can, this is often made easier through getting them in a contract.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    This is me in a way. I had a call from Vodafone a few months back, and the salesman on the other end of the line was attempting to get me to upgrade to a new phone along with trying to get me to agree to a contract deal. A cheap one. I told him I wasn't interested, and he asked me what model phone I currently had. I told him it was a Nokia c7, he said that that was an older model, which it is. But I said that I was happy with it. Mostly because I know all of its inner workings and it does all of the things that I want it to. I'd actually get another nokia c7 if anything happened to my current one.

11. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    Yeah exactly, however I could see how the idea of people not knowing much about specs of phones could also work the other way. For example, I also know people who will just upgrade to the latest model because their network offers them a great deal, or what seems to be a great deal. And so they just go ahead with it, despite the fact that the difference might be very minute. The biggest case for this would be Apple, especially among the younger people, if you have the newest one you feel cool and up to date with everything.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I will admit out loud that I have bought an older model. Around five years ago the hard drive on my laptop crashed and I needed on to replace it. I didn't have much money to spend so I went with a model that was older on Amazon. Hey, it still had a good operating system at that time Windows XP, so I bought it. Yes, since then I have bought another computer this time with Windows 7 but it was also refurbished. As for Cellphones I have a basic one, you know the kind where a person actually talks on the phone. I laugh at how these days we seem to be doing so many other things on the phones then talking on them. I thought that talking on a cell phone was the reason for having one. So, I have no issue in older stuff, if it works and serves its purpose of what I need it for I don't see any reason to go with the newer model. I laugh at the fact that some feel the need to go running out to get the newest gadget the minute it hits the market. For me, I just don't see the hype.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    My mother did that. She want from an older model phone to a more up to date Nokia - I forget the exact name of the model now - just because it was time for her to upgrade her phone on her contract deal, and the salesman in the store did a good sales job. She is not tech savvy in the least!! So she just went with the upgrade, and to this day she still has no idea how to work it like it was intended to be worked.

14. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a cellphone -- even less a smartphone -- but I have bought an older model of camera rather than the newest version available. First my heart was set on a Canon Elph 300, but then the new models rolled in and I could not find this one in stores anymore. I was not really sure I needed the extra advantages of the 310; in the end, I found on Kijiji a Elph 100 for 40$ (canadian), came with SD card, too. It's really all about judging the functionality you need, not be blinded by the EXTRA NEW YAY features that you might not end up using, and finding the best price you can for the sort of product you want. I'll usually check what is available online for second hand items and see if this is in my margin or not. If it is and it is very cheap like my camera, I buy it. If it's not this cheap, then I might want to spend extra bucks to get the new model instead.

15. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it kinda seems obvious that this thread is more centered around Apple/IOS products. The fact is that they have been known to only majorly upgrade their software. Generally, the only thing different in the hardware is the camera and a new processor. The fact is that the specs aren't all the impressive and the price point is becoming less and less viable for people as android becomes more prevalent in homes.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course, I would! Especially now that I find myself in a very desperate place. My MacBook pack up on me because the logic board died. We can't afford to replace it, and right now I'd take any model as I need to work to keep generating a few cents. As long as it works, I'd be happy....I'm not looking for it to be all singing and dancing! I'd even take a second hand one that's in good shape and was well looked after by the previous owner:)

17. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've come to realize that I'm not an early adopter by mindset. I don't need the latest gadgets and I certainly don't need the latest prices! As a result, I'm always happy to look at ealier models. And particularly for things like a laptop, which I tend to underutilize anyway. I don't need the fastest or swishest model when I mainly use it for a bit of word processing and access to the internet.

18. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm somewhat anti-consummerist, I would never buy a thing just because it's new or cool. I don't need the newest phone with quad-core CPU, I got a Moto E and I'm absolutely fine with it, it does everything I want and need from a smartphone. Most of my phones before that were also second-hand old models, so.. yeah. :)

19. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I would. In fact, I still use an older model of BlackBerry, the BB Curve to be exact as my primary phone for handling both business and personal messaging. I found smartphones as contributors to me being less productive than the other way around that's why I opted for an older model for my messaging and calling needs. I believe that older models only make us feel that we need them in order for us to be productive but the truth is, they hurt or productivity by incorporating a lot of apps to our daily lives.

20. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    It all depends on the individual and their circumstances, you have to ask yourself if you really need all the bells and whistles, all the latest accessories. You can only do so much with a phone, If you can text, or call somebody on your phone, I think those are the most important features that a phone should have, anything else is just a bonus and not really necessary.