Would You Buy Clothing In The Wrong Color If It Was Cheaper?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by cocolgooh • Feb 13, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    For example, I was looking for a shirt to wear to a specific event a couple of weeks ago. I wanted something fairly plain, preferably white. However I found a shirt that was approximately $2, but it was blue instead of white. For that money I decided that as I'd wear something blue fairly often anyway it was worth buying anyway. I've actually worn it a couple of times already!

However it would depend on whether I would still use the item. If it's a color I know I wouldn't wear then there's no point in buying it in my opinion because then it would be taking up space in my wardrobe, and likely wouldn't ever get worn, so the money would be wasted.

However if it's still a color I'd wear and would use often, even if it's not my first choice I will still buy it. Especially if it's a lot cheaper like that.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless it's for a party or event that the host specifically requested a color, I don't think there is such a thing as wrong color. You may want to get something in a specific color but getting a different color instead is not a problem if you like it.
    But I get what you mean - and yes I definitely pick a different color if it's cheaper, unless I really don't like the color on that item or am really in love with the pricier color option.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No matter how cheap it is, it isn't a good deal if you don't use it. So, if you will wear it, yes. If it will sit in your closet, it's like throwing that $2.00 away. That's $2.00 you could have used towards the purchase of something you'll actually wear or use.

Bargains are tricky. They have to be a good value and be useful. Too many people buy something just because it's cheap. Even if it is an incredible *sale* it isn't a good *deal* if you don't end up using it. It's money wasted just the same as if you paid full price for something that you could have purchased for less.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that buying something even though you think it's a good deal and not wearing is money poorly spent. I have done this in the past thinking I would find a way to work the brown top into my wardrobe or I'll just dye it a navy or black to match with the rest of my wardrobe. At first I was thinking what a great deal I should buy this top. What a mistake. I end up giving away the top and feel like I've just spent money on a top for no reason. I have definitely learned that unless I know I'm going to wear a top it isn't worth buying it. It's not a great deal if you don't wear it.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd buy it because it's so cheap and does the same job as your favorite colors or the color that you wanted. Sometimes you come across a very good bargain and it's so cheap it's hard to pass up. The only time I won't buy if it's just something I won't ever wear. Coming across a good buy is lucky indeed!

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the situation. I am a member of a choir and we have clothing color requirements. In this case, I wouldn't buy the wrong color as I wouldn't be able to wear it.

I don't necessarily shop for a particular color for my general wardrobe. I would never buy a color that I don't like or doesn't look good on me no matter the cost. I would never wear it so it would be an expensive purchase.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I do! I buy jeans on clearance that are my favorite fit, but are a lighter shade because I know that they are not as popular. Then I buy some Rit or other denim dye on Amazon and dye those jeans for under $5. I get the dark jeans I wanted for half of the price.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Color is quite important to me, so if it's yellow or white, even if it's cheaper then I won't buy it. What's the point of getting a bargain if you don't intend to use it, right? You should always buy something that you actually like enough to use.

9. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    Absolutely! There are only a few colors I will not wear anyway. So, if I could save a lot of money by purchasing a different color, I'm all for it. I just might have to throw together a few of my own accessories to create a stylish look.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very precious about my colours, to the point where there are some colours out there that I just wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Some of the colours I really don't like because I believe they don't do anything for me are drab, dull colours such as brown, green and maroon. I wouldn't be seen anywhere, dead or alive in those colours. I don't care how cheap the clothes are, I'd much rather pass.

However, if I were looking for a white shirt and it was only available in another colour I liked (e.g any shade of blue), I'd certainly consider buying it.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would, but only if I don't need it for a specific event or if it can at least be hidden or worked in enough that it can still work. Otherwise I'd probably just spend extra to get the right color. If I'm just going to use it for going out casually and I'm just sacrificing a bit of preference I'd consider it a bit more too and I probably would buy it if it were really that much cheaper. The only time I'd refuse is if the color was something I particularly dislike, which in my case would be purple.

12. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I've never really been all that picky about colors. If I like it, will wear it again, and it actually matches other clothes that I own, then I have no problem buying it if it's cheap enough.

13. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    If it is a color that I would normally buy, then yes by all means save some money. But if it is a color that I do not like or does not look good on me then no. It would not be good to waste the money as that defeats the purpose of trying to save money. If you do not absolutely have to have a specific color then there is no reason not to buy the cheaper one. Who wants to spend more money on a shirt just because of the color especially if you will wear it again?

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If the design and quality of the $2 shirt were similar to what I would normally find appealing, and I could find matching pants and accessories, I would make the adjustment and purchase the shirt, because I would be getting what I consider being a good deal.

15. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I would, as long as it's not an obnoxious color, or something I would feel uncomfortable in. A two dollar shirt is pretty hard to pass up though. It would be a hard choice if it were pants though. I like my jeans and chinos to be fairly neutral so I can wear them with whatever, so no bring colored pants.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, it wouldn't make sense to buy an item whose aspects you have reservations. I have on many occasions bought an item with the price being its primary consideration only to discard or disuse it based on a real or perceived flaw. I learnt the hard way that cheap can be expensive.

17. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am pretty cheap, I admit it, but I have to say that if the outfit actually mattered I would step up and spend the money to make sure I got the right one. If it did not matter, though, I would absolutely go with the cheap one, and I could not care less about matching. It just depends.