Would You Buy From A Seller With No Ratings Yet?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Harlek • Sep 24, 2015.

1. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    I was looking for some used monitors on eBay the other day and I saw one that's really cheap and seems to be in good condition, I was really getting ready to purchase it and then I noticed that the user has no ratings or reviews yet. I hesitated immediately because I don't know if I can trust this guy since there's really no history of him/her being a good or bad seller/buyer. What do you do when it comes to this kinds of situations? I personally wouldn't risk it but I really need that monitor!

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a gambler so I certainly would not buy from any untrusted vendor, whether online or offline. When we travel abroad, we get our accommodation from a reputable booking agency like booking.com. Ironically, we had booked in a local booking agency for a domestic tour this year and what did we get? We arrived in that northern province with no reservation for our accommodation. We had to search for a hotel because the agency was remiss.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everyone has to start somewhere, but if you started up a conversation with them, then that would help. Most people will have bought something and got a rating, but I find most people don't really rate these days. My last purchase I didn't and vice-versa.

Just because there are no ratings doesn't mean a scam. Most scammers build up a profile to get people comfortable and fake ratings anyhow. Message the person and if you can get around to asking for some verification that may help, and if you use PayPal that's better. Would you pick up the item? A lot depends on what is detailed in the listing.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My initial answer would be no, I wouldn't buy from a buyer without any ratings. But like Theo has stated, it doesn't always mean someone's dodgy just because they have no ratings. Maybe he's not a regular seller, and that's just a one-off sale? I guess it's like when you apply for a credit card and you get rejected just because you don't have much of a credit history, not that you have a bad one. I agree with Theo that opening communications with the seller, might give you an idea of what type of person they are and you can then take it form there.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If the item is something small then I'd be okay with it. If I know I will disappointed with losing a certain amount of money then I wouldn't risk it. I'd more likely just save up a bit more extra and buy from somewhere more reputable even if it ends up costing me more because in the long run I wouldn't even remember that small extra expense but potentially getting a bad experience is just too much of a risk for a small amount of savings.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I HAVE bought something from someone with no rating (and lucked out, thankfully), but I generally wouldn't recommend it. I stay away from them if it's for a pricier item, but might take the chance if it's something super cheap. The things I have purchased, were cheap and couldn't be found anywhere else, so I took the chance.

7. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Nope. That's too risky. Anyone can make a quick account with the intent of making a quick bucks off of someone. This becomes a big problem for new sellers since people tend not buy from unfamiliar and risky vendors. However, I know some will give out free products in exchange for an honest (typically positive) review that supports them.

8. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't. If I really wanted to get the item I would add to my wishlist and re-check every week or so for ratings or reviews. I would only buy from a seller with at least 5 positive feedback messages or ratings. And even so it's a bit risky, I normally choose people with more than 100 different positive ratings just to be sure :) You wouldn't want to be left without a monitor and without your money, would you?

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings in general give you a good idea of what you should expect from a seller but good reviews don't necessarily mean that the seller is trustworthy. Shady sellers pay for reviews, you know? But as it's said, better the devil you know . . .

Be cautious when dealing with sellers who have no ratings yet but since you'll be buying from eBay, you needn't be terrified of losing your money. If you buy the monitor and find out it is defective, you could always file a complaint and get your money back [hopefully].

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Depending on the item, yes, I would, and I have before.

Ask the person questions if you're uncomfortable and make sure you pay through PayPal because it comes with insurance. If the guy sends you a faulty monitor, then it sucks, but you'll get your money back.

11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    If what it is I'm buying is cheap, I will take a chance. Like some other posters have said, you have to start somewhere. Although I have never sold anything on ebay, I have bought a few things. Sellers give me a rating and it's all 5 stars. Maybe you can do the same. Look at the person's buyer rating to give you all good idea as to how they handle transactions and what not.

12. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I would personally private message the seller first and 'get a feel' for what sort of a person he/she is. You can generally sense the sincerity of the person based on the way they reply your queries, but that said, professional cons are all over the net! Every seller has to have a start somewhere, so I guess it would not be nice to stay away from them just because they are new and you assume they are potential scammers. However, to reduce your own risk, I would suggest not to buy overly pricey items or electronic gadgets such as your monitor from a first-time seller. Also, like what someone else has mentioned, paying by PayPal allows you to lodge a claim process should anything go wrong. Also, insist on tracking for delivery!

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the item is cheap and I will be paying via Paypal, then yes. I have been scammed before when I sent money via money transfer, so now I should know better what to do so as not to be scammed online. I say go for it since you will be paying via Paypal anyway, I assume.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought from an unrated seller before. I was wary at first so I invented a question about the item and fired it off. Anyhow, the seller got back to me within the hour and sounded professional enough so I decided to risk it. No problems whatsoever and I was pleased to be able to give them their first feedback : )

It's worth remembering that you get a rating when you buy too so a seller with ratings may not have actually sold something before. To check, go to the feedback page and click on the "Feedback from Buyers" tab.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My first reaction is to say no, as I am very wary of buying even from sellers who have great ratings. I go in depth and look into their negative and positive history on Ebay, and even if they have more positive feedback, but the negative feedback contains reports that I am not willing to risk, then I will find the product in question somewhere else. If I was desperate enough though, I probably would.

16. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    It all depends on the return policy for me. If it doesn't have an easy return policy, I'd definitely say no to a person with no review and/or ratings yet. Also, just because there are ratings on there, doesn't mean it's legit either. There is a such thing as paid off reviews and it's becoming more and more popular. There's sites called Fiverr and Gigbucks to accomplish this so be weary of any positive reviews and/or rating on popular online shopping sites such as Amazon or Ebay.

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I always see on the side of caution in these situations. The fact that the seller has no ratings doesn't mean he's automatically a scammer, but I'd rather not be the first to test it out.

#17Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
  18. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    With electronic purchases, probably not. I'd really have to speak to the person, trust their photos and descriptions, and even following my fairly accurate intuition, it feels like too big a gamble. Too much that can go wrong with electronics. That said, Ebay favors the buyer in just about every circumstance, so if you have a bad experience and don't mind the hassle, you can dispute it.

On the other hand, I'd be pretty likely to buy from creative/artistic vendors without ratings. Those items are usually one of a kind so you can't just search for the next best price on it, and the pictures will probably accurately reflect the item (unlike electronics, which might have problems on the interior you can't see).

It's definitely a harsh world for new sellers out there, so I'm always careful to give feedback. Sellers appreciate those ratings more than you will ever know - especially since people who are displeased will be much more vocal than those who are pleased. If you do give it a shot and have a good experience, be sure to leave feedback!

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a small amount of reviews on my site we all have to start somewhere. I do understand that you want to check out the person you giving your money to when you make a purchase online, when you purchase thru paypal you are protected and will get your money back if the item is not what you expected.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of the Ebay sellers seem to have it all - great return policy and they even claim to be the one responsible for paying the return postage and packing if you should need to return the item too. But when it actually comes down to it, and you would like to return an item to a seller for a refund, then they will try to fight you on paying the return postage and packaging, so you really have to push some of them.