Would You Buy Previously Owned Pet Items?

Discussion in Pets started by MrsJones • Feb 20, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Buying items for your pet can be expensive because they are like family and you want the best that your money can buy for them. This is understandable but what if you can't afford the best, would you consider buying a dog house or carrier that was previously owned? I have done this before and saved big bucks when compared to the cost in retail stores or pet shops.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be concerned about germs from the previous owner. I can understand wanting to save money. I would consider it.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy used pet carriers or some other items as long as they could be cleaned and sanitized. I am sure you can find these in good condition and they are very expensive when you buy them brand new. It is hard to be on a tight budget when you have pets and you cannot let them go without. They are a big part of the family just as my children.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. I love my dogs so much that I wouldn't let them use something that is pre-owned. On the opposite side, there are actually many items in our stock room that are mostly gifts to my dogs from relatives and friends like collar and leash, clothes, shoes and socks, toys. They are not used and still in the package. I'm thinking of disposing them by selling but I'm afraid that the sale may reach the ears of those who gave them and they might be offended.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    You can always donate them to your local animal shelter or some place similar.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I would, and have done in the past. Pet carriers and beds can be quite expensive so getting them second hand is a great way to save some money. I also have a second hand leash that a friend gave me when mine broke. Another friend also sold me some dog shampoos that it had turned out their dog was allergic to. Mine were fine with it so it was worth it to get it cheaper!

7. Charon LeFleur

Charon LeFleurNew Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on the item. Whatever you're considering, just do a Google search or hit up some pet forums to ask about similar experiences.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that it depends on what the item is, how expensive it is, and whether the used item can also be properly cleaned before use by your dog once you buy it.
    I have bought the metal crates, and also the little round pens that come in sections and you link them together. They are great for when you need to temporarily pen your dog up somewhere, and since they come apart, or fold, they can be transported when necessary. Those kinds of items are usually expensive when purchased new, and they are easy to hose off and clean when you get them used.
    Pet clothes can usually be washed; so they are also fine to get second hand. Beds are harder to clean sometimes; and I would be less likely to get one of those used; since they are not excessively expensive anyway, and might not come totally clean.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with previously owned pet items. If you are uncertain of what kind of germs and disease-causing microbes that might be lurking there still you can clean and disinfect the item right after you buy it.

Never buy "new" something you can buy "used" at a cheaper price.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I'm all in favor of saving money in every way that we can - as my pets health and happiness is just as important as my own - I would only consider buying previously used pet items - that had been thoroughly sanitized and could be purchased from reputable places - such as a vets practice where they often sell off unwanted sterilized items such as carriers etc at bargain prices.

Especially as - not only are there germs to consider - which as many germs can live on surfaces for an alarmingly long time could be passed onto to your pet - but also traces of scent left by other animals - which as the latter ( although we may not always be able to smell it ) has been found to have the potential ( as animals are sensitive to the scent of others ) to traumatize the new owner - its not something that I'm prepared to take a chance on.

To be honest - apart from cat carriers which I generally get cheap from the vet - as running a small rescue center for abandoned and mistreated cats and kittens - requires having way more than just a couple - rather than save money by buying previously owned items - I much prefer to improvise and use new inexpensive household items as their litter boxes, feeding, drinking bowls etc - as well as make my own - as not only are home-made pet items such as scratching posts, cardboard houses, cat tents, cat beds, covered balls, knotted rag toys, swish sticks and cat nip pillows all easily made for next to nothing from clean discarded clothing or household fabrics - but more importantly - they appear to please my cats immensely.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe for certain stuff that are more expensive like cages, houses, beds... but I would only purchase an used item like that if I couldn't find a new one for a reasonable price and if the used item was very well taken care of.

12. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy anything wearable, but if its like a cage or something, I wouldn't mind buying one of those. A lot of pet stuff is really expensive, its like they charge us for our love for our pets. Also, the product has to look new and more importantly smell new because my dog can smell other dogs from a distance. When I visit my cousin, her dog plays with me. So when I come back, he knows I had been playing with some other dog, and he gets angry :p So, long story short, I would sanitize the thing thoroughly if I do buy it.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy bedding because of fleas and things like that, but I have bought a second hand crate. Those crates are expensive and I needed one to take my cat to the vet. I got it for under $15 and it retailed at $40.

14. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. That's more than 50% in discount. Good for you. Yeah those crates really are expensive. I'm looking for a good one available locally as well.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, since I only want cats as pets, and their cage is quite cheap at around $12 only. Custom made steel cages for big dogs, on the other hand, are quite expensive at around $100+ (my brother bought one), so I would consider buying a used big steel cage. For personal items like leash and dish trays, I certainly would prefer a brand new one since they're cheap already.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Would and have. We bought a used kennel and a carrying cage - I know that is not what they are called but it is all I could think of - from a friend of ours and ended up saving a goof fifty dollars. In my opinion it is just like hand me downs for the kids, why let these things go to waste if you can find other uses for them and save some money while doing it.

17. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    I have bought used pet items many times and it doesn't bother me at all. Leashes, collars, kennels, food bowls, fish tanks etc. The only thing I can think of that I would not want to buy used are pet beds. I just don't like used beds of any kind.