Would you buy this book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Mayvin • May 5, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Read there was book out written by one of Jeffery Dahlmer's best friends painting him as very different than the public figure we've come to know. And I'm thinking that's how it usually is. People are different with friends than they are with "intended victims,". Personally, I wouldn't want to read a book that was sympathetic to a serial killer. Would you?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    No I would not read this kind of book and I have no interest in finding out how the person is like on the other side differently than when they were with their victim. I don't understand why this kind of book is written in the first place too, what are they trying to gain? Sympathy or money?

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also won't buy that book just because the topic is not that interesting to me. I have never been interested in biographies and autobiographies in the 1st place.

4. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    Personally, I would not purchase this book. I feel like by purchasing this book, you are showing your support towards someone who has committed a crime of horrible acts. There are not enough pages in the world for someone to portray a serial killer who blames his actions on the lack of religion as a "misunderstood" individual.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will likely going to read if I could score one from someone for free, if someone will lend it to me. But I will not definitely buy this book. I am not interested in him. I just want to know the story. Just thinking me buying that already creeps me out.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't want to read the book. People who lead double lives will always don a false facade when they're in public or around people whom they know may disapprove of what they do when they think no one is watching them. So, if the facade they put on [in public] is merely a false front, I wouldn't want anyone to tell me about that. If a man has darkness in his heart, one way or another, eventually it will be exposed.

So any book that tries to portray a serial killer as a regular guy, I definitely won't read [it]. I've heard and told enough lies in my life already. Why pay to hear more of them?

7. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Based on what little I know, no. I don't even know the guy, nor do I know of him, and I'm not interested much in non-fiction.
    Books written about real-life people in general do not tend to make me interested at all. I'm not even curious about that "Blue Box Boy" book I head about some time ago. Who knows how much of his memory has become inaccurate over time?
    Those things can be pretty subjective as well.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy this book. It seems dishonorable to try and make money from the atrocities which Dahmer committed. What about the families of his victims? I'm sure they don't need to see this - things must be awful enought for them anyway without someone trying to make out he was a nice guy really! No thanks.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't. The end does not justify the means. He killed, and he killed. Whatever reason he had, he still committed a crime. He still murdered. And let's accept it. He didn't just murder one person. He murdered a lot. No one should be sympathetic of him. Well, you can only be sympathetic about his kind of thinking, but to the point of writing a book about him. What's that book all about anyway? I hope that whatever inside it doesn't justify why he killed.

10. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I personally would not read a book sympathetic to a serial killer. Unless, this book is about showing how different he was with friends and family for no one to have ever suspected and examine the dynamics, I don't see why someone would write such a thing. Dahlmer was known to be charming and that is why no one would have ever suspected him and why it took so longer for him to get caught. So, I don't think there is much to say in this book except for a persons reasons for having unknowingly been such a persons friend.

11. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I admit that I'm curious about it, but I don't think I'd buy it, mostly because I already have ingrained my thoughts about Jeffrey Dahmer and I honestly doubt anything in that book would make me change my mind.

Better to not to waste time and simply stay away from that.

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely like to know more about the book as I think it seems quite great. I hope I will be able to read it one day. But I prefer never to buy it. I think it is best to try and find it online for free.

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    That seems quite interesting to me. I love reading a lot, and unique and weird stories are my fascinations. I have already read the biography of Jeffrey Dahmer and yes, he was really an evil man, but it's going to be a whole lot gripping if I read his story from his friend's point of view.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I certainly won't ready any book that puts a serial killer on a pedestal. I might as well read a detailed psychoanalysis of him - why he did what he did - from an expert psychiatrist. Watching Criminal Minds made me realize that most serial killers don't really have clear goals or motivations.

15. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I'm in the minority here but I would like to read this book. I'm fascinated as to how he was able to hide his true personality and was able to interact with people in his daily life. I want to know what he liked to watch on TV, his views on politics and if this friend ever had any inkling of the monster his best friend was.
    We've heard much about Jeffery Dahlmer from the view point of the police and his victims' friends and family that this would be an interesting angle for me.
    That being said, I think the author should donate some of the proceeds from this book to a worthwhile cause.

16. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

I don’t think I would, but at the same time I would wonder what made a person become so horrible. No one just wakes up and say, “I want to be a serial killer today.” On one hand I would not want to read all the gory details about what he did to the victims. On the other hand, I would like to know what his childhood was like. I remember reading a book about a young lady who was a drug addict and prostitute. She had a good mom, but unfortunately she died and the girl was put in foster care. This is when all the problems began to happen since the men in the house molested her. She escaped by selling her body and took drugs to numb the pain. Fortunately she got out of that life because someone stepped in who cared. She is now a lawyer.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I would not purchase this book, true the person presented to the public as the serial killer and the person friends and family may have known are not the same person it is not some one I would like to support based on his activities of hate and murder.

18. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely not buy this book, but I would read it if I find it at the library. I like reading about these types of things and trying to learn about people even about serial killers and what they were like. I find the human mind fascinating and like to try to figure people out and why they do the things they do. I do not believe it would change my mind that this guy was one of the worst serial killers of our times, but it would be interesting.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy murder documentaries, as well as serial killer documentaries. But I am not really a reader of this type of genre, so as far as whether or not I would buy and read the book, most likely not. But I am sure that the book has some interesting little pieces of information in it. I don't get a good vibe from Jeffrey, but I don't know if that is because I know what he is capable of or because I get a bad feeling from him.