Would You Buy Used Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ellajanelle • May 30, 2015.

1. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    In my country, a lot of online sellers are posting photos of their "preloved" clothes on the internet, and selling them for a really low price. Some of them actually look unused and have expensive brands. In my case, there's really no problem in purchasing used clothes as long as they're still wearable, clean, and have no damages. However, I'd prefer to buy them personally or in actual and not online. Photos on the internet are very deceiving these days! You can't easily tell if the clothes are really in good condition. It would be better, for me, if you could actually see and feel the clothes to be sure :)

Does anybody here share the same thought?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've only ever bought one used item of clothing online and that was a Chanel suit. I prefer to buy used clothes in person. However a lot of people resell clothes with tags on them to prove they haven't been worn (possibly as you can still wear clothes with a tag) so that can be less of a risk.

3. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I've never bought used clothes. My parents never bought me anything from a second-hand shop when I was a child, but I did wear my older sister's clothes. Other than that, I only buy new stuff. However, if I didn't have enough money, I would buy used clothes if they were in a good condition. I don't see anything disgusting about that, I guess I'm just used to buy everything new since childhood.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of second hand items as it is, but I have been known to purchase second hand video games and such, provided that everything concerning it is in tip-top condition, and that is from the disk, down to the game/disk casing. I hate when the casing has stains on it, or blemishes that indicate that another has owned it before me? When it comes to clothes, it is slightly different though, because you have to wear it on your body. Fair enough, there are washing machines, but is that really enough? Not for me. If I ever was to wear a second hand item of clothing from a stranger, it would have to be such a nice piece of clothing that it overrides my distaste for wearing second hand clothing.

5. nicole deffes

nicole deffesNew Member

Threads:
    I see nothing wrong with buying used clothes as I know a lot of people who do it. I personally can't get myself to do it. I don't feel comfortable wearing clothes from someone that I don't personally know. If it is a friend or family member then I am fine but otherwise I just don't like to.

6. karebear07

karebear07New Member

Threads:
    Hmm I see no problem in it. If it is clean, and the seller has good reviews than I would do it. I know eBay has some nice clothes with expensive labels that are used and in good condition. As long as it is not underwear or swim suits I would actually buy second hand clothes. I know in LA there are plenty of "vintage" shops that are used clothes!

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm very weary of second hand items, especially if it's a big purchase like electronics or machinery, and I'm the same way when it comes to clothes because it's something that will be sticking to me literally for the whole day. I know it's mostly just me being paranoid and a good wash should make it clean enough for me to wear but I just can't get over it. Also, I find that there are lots of cheap clothes being sold brand new that I could buy at a very cheap price so I'd much rather just spend my money on bargains and sales of brand new items rather than on a second hand one since they are pretty much the same price.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m inclined to agree that I’d prefer to be able to gauge the quality in real life, so I still prefer buying second-hand clothes in person. But if I liked something enough, and the seller seems to be trusted, I’d still consider buying it online. From what I’ve seen, you can get some pretty good bargains on gently used designer items this way. A lot of them are still out of my budget at the moment, but it’s something I’m keeping in mind.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy used or preloved clothes, but not online. I agree that even if they are used, I still need to see the clothes in person to check if there are other damages. This is why I prefer to buy used clothes from thrift stores. They are much cheaper, too!

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying used clothing in a thrift shop is one thing but buying used clothing online is an entirely different matter.

Will the clothes fit?

Measurements or approximations of the same if you are buying the clothes online might not be all that good. To avoid wasting money buying clothes which don't fit or have some other [quality] issues I'd rather buy my clothes from a thrift shop.

11. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I'm not really comfortable with the idea of buying second hand things online so I'm on the same boat with this; I'd rather buy second hand clothes only when I personally know the person selling it or just in person. You can do so much with the details and photos you post on the internet and you can claim that it's in perfect condition and when you get it, there's a tear here or it's not how it looks like in the photos. Plus I wouldn't really see if it fits me or if the cloth used is okay.

12. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I go to charity shops all of the time and I love shopping for clothes in them, the jeans I am wearing right now cost me £1 and they are perfectly fine, they look like new! I have nothing against wearing or buying preloved clothes. If someone is selling them and I like them then I will definitely have a look!

13. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought lots of used clothes especially if it's something I am either going to destroy or it is something that I will only wear a handful of times (costumes and gag outfits.) Normally I just go to the thrift store in town since I want to try it on first you never know the size with used clothes as they can increase or even decrease in size over time.
    However it does sound like poster here have had some success with buying them online and getting a good fit so perhaps I will have to reconsider my bias.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you ellajanelle, it's better to see the clothes and inspect them before committing to a purchase. I have no problem with buying "pre loved clothes" because like you say, some of them are barely used and very high end.

15. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I do buy second hand clothes on EBay simply because I live far from a shopping centre and when I do go shopping they never have anything I would like to buy. I also buy new clothes on -line. I find sometimes you can buy better quality used clothes than in a shop.
    I like to wear tunic tops with leggings and these can be difficult to find. I have never had any worries about wearing second hand clothes because I always wash and tumble dry them first.
    Occasionally I buy an item of clothing on-line that doesn't fit very well but not often. I have saved a lot of money overall by buying used.

16. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I love buying used clothes - I buy a majority of my stuff at thrift stores, but I'm not sure about buying used clothes online. I like to try everything I buy on first, as well as give them an "inspection." I suppose if I saw a good deal of something used online, I wouldn't pass it up, but I would definitely prefer to buy in-store. If I buy something online and it doesn't fit, it's a waste of money - even if it was only a couple bucks.

17. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I've never purchased used clothing before. I like getting new clothes because I don't worry about what the person did while wearing the clothes. I have a bit of paranoia. For example, I may start to think that a murderer had worn these clothes and I would never know. I don't enjoy hand-me-downs from my family very much either.

18. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    A lot of my clothes and furniture is used. I usually get my used clothes at thrift stores, and my used furniture online on craigslist, and other local used websites. I've bought a lot of expensive clothes for cheap at thrift stores. I can usually take furniture that isn't too great because I like DIY projects.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would be buying anymore clothes online after my wrong estimate that the shirts and blouses would fit, lol. They're quite cheap, so I ended up buying them easily. But I wasted around $15. At least the pants that had my waist measurements were accurate and they were able to fit me. So with that said, I'll still buy pants online, but tops, no.

20. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I don't have any problem buying used stuff, but I would never buy used clothes for health reasons only. I would not have any problem wearing used clothes if they belonged to family members or friends though.