Would You Buy Used For Your Children

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by toradrake • Jan 2, 2015.

1. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    We have all heard of "hand me downs" but would you buy used items for your children? We shop for ourselves at thrift stores and such, but would you buy for your kids items from there? My friend and I were in a thrift store the other day and I spotted the cutest little girls dress without a speck of anything on it. It looked brand new. I showed it to my friend and she look aghast that I even noticed it. She stated she never buys used for her children. I was confused because if it is good enough for you to wear used jeans and such, why is it not OK for your children.

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have always found it advantageous to buy used clothing when my boys when they were little. Doing so helped to save money for store bought clothes for special events. Children and clothes are a terrible combination because there is always something the happens that you have no control over, like spilt mustard or grass stains. The more that I could save buying used clothing for my sons the better I felt when these accidents happened. 'Thank God I only spent 3.00 dollars on that.' :rolleyes:

3. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on what - typically for clothing I'd prefer new unless it's in very good condition. Things like electronics, some toys would be fine second-hand or used, also assuming they're clean. I think the biggest deterrent is cleanliness for me, otherwise I'd more than likely go with a new item rather than used. Peace of mind comes at a premium of course, but for my children it's always worthwhile.

That being said, I'm not going to spend $1k for a new iPhone, but I have no problem spending a little on an old 4G as a "toy".

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The way I rationalize this question is like this:

I will not buy things that have been used that can cause harm to a child or my future child, because with this perspective I excluded many things I need not waste thinking about. Then I will decided between what a child needs and wants, which I will always go for needs first.

Personally I will buy used clothes, baby-toys, strollers, bed-frames, and books for a child, because I opinion these are all needs that will benefit him/her - everything else will be newly bought.

5. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I personally bought a LOT of used clothes for my daughter when she was growing quickly, especially when she was so young that she destroyed clothes getting them dirty and damaged. She had some new things but her everyday play clothes were bought used. She was certainly too young to care. I didn't buy anything with visible damage to it and I washed it before putting it in with her things. Now she's a teen. I give her a set amount of money each season to buy clothing. She herself checks out the second hand shops and discount stores (like Ross's) for the basic staple items because she wants name brand things and my/her budget doesn't stretch to many of them from the real store but she can usually get nice gently used items. There are things I wouldn't buy second hand and they have to be nice things. But since I myself buy and wear stuff from second hand stores, there's no reason my daughter can't.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Uh, of course I'd buy used for my kid. They grow so fast and the clothes you can buy in new are frigging expensive for maybe a few months of use! So, actually, the clothes I'd buy used for the kids would probably be less used than any clothing I buy used for myself. You wash it and what else could happen? I grew up wearing hand-me-downs from my cousins and from the kids of my mom's colleagues and all. Never hurt me. She sometimes found donation bin clothes for me too, and it was practical and zero harmful. I would just not buy underwear as second hand clothing -- but that's the same regardless of whether it's for a kid or for me.

Taught me when I was a kid to not look down at a perfect piece of clothing just 'cause it was not new. I'll for sure teach my kids the same!

7. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't buy used things for my child. I don't want her in someone else's old clothes. You don't know the history of the item or where it's been. You can get reasonably priced clothes that are brand new so I don't see the need. As for them being good enough for adults. I don't wear used clothes either for the same reasons outlined above. I don't think there is anything wrong with it but it's just not for me.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Used clothes have been washed many times, and as a matter of fact I prefer them, as they often feel soft and I don't have to worry about any toxic dies doing damage to my skin. Everybody I know gladly accepts used clothes for kids. Children grow so quickly. Why would you want to spend a lot of money on clothes when someone is giving you what you need for free or for a low price?

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I wouldn't be comfortable doing it that way either. I don't mind that other people are doing it, and I would also consider it more strongly if I felt I needed to, but right now I'd much rather just go to clearance sales instead because I find the prices at those places are pretty much equal to what you would find at thrift stores and this way you can be assured that the clothes are brand new at a very low price.

10. lucyarty

lucyartyMember

Threads:
    I don't have any huge aversion to buying second-hand stuff for my children. I've bought my son a t-shirt from a charity shop before because it had a character from Peppa Pig (his favourite cartoon) on it, and my mother in law lives in an area with loads of charity shops nearby so she picks him stuff up every now and again. Generally, though, I prefer to buy things new. Toys, though - used stuff is great! My son loves little matchbox cars and doesn't care if they're scratched a bit or whatever, so we've bought quite a few from second hand shops. And LOADS of second hand books.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. Children grow out of clothes so quickly, plus they are always getting stains and holes in them so it makes financial sense to buy second hand. No different to hand-me-downs.

12. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live children's consignment sales are a big thing. I've gone to more than a couple and it seems that a lot of people here sell nice stuff! They have restrictions at the sales too, like they will not allow torn, stained or over used clothing to be sold. So yes, I have bought plenty of used clothes.

However, I really won't mention that to anyone, including my kids. I don't take issue with it but I know some people do, and I don't need them looking down on me or my kids. To me it's not even a matter of saving money, it 's just that the stuff is perfectly good and was probably only worn less than 6 months. So it seems silly why I would buy an outfit for $20 when I can get it for $5.

13. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind used clothes because kids aren't in them two minutes. However I don't like used shoes I wouldn't put my kids in other peoples shoes. Clothes however I don't mind, because they are washed a number of times and I always wash them in my washing powder before I put them on them. I think if they look okay then who cares.

14. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I would absolutely buy my child used clothes if they were in nice condition. I have before. I'm glad I did, too. There isn't much point in buying expensive kid's clothes for everyday use when they grow out of them so fast. My son went from the sizes 6 months to 2t in about 7 or 8 months. I would have spent a fortune if it wasn't for Kohl's discount coupons, Wal Mart, and thrift shops.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    The only used things I would buy would probably be books and toys. Anything which another baby had prolonged contact with, like clothes or a comforter, might be unsafe in my opinion even if thoroughly washed.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would NEVER purchase used toys for my children. I would accept hand-me-downs, like clothes from older family members, and that would be fine. But I don't know - I just feel different with toys? I find that children's toys carry a lot of germs. Children are very germsy creatures. For this reason, I wouldn't ever purchase my child second-hand toys.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually do not buy used stuff for the children as I think it is totally a waste of money. Kids hardly know how to handle their things and I believe giving them used things can make them feel really sad and it gets worse out too easily.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On the face of it, and on paper NO. But it depends on the shop and how old those clothes are. I don't think it's quite the same as hand-me-downs as you usually know the people giving you those clothes. I don't mind getting myself second hand clothes, but I'd be extra careful where it concerned my kids.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While I understand the fear of most folks: babies are fragile, their immune systems are weak and stuff, fact is you can buy used clothes, disinfect them with whatever chemicals you feel will kill any microbe that may harm the little angel, then wash them [the clothes] with hot water.

For me, I wouldn't mind buying used clothes for kids.

20. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Yes, I'd buy used for my children as long as the items are in very good condition. Clothes of course are out of the question, I'm talking more about game consoles and other electronics for kids. I know plenty of devices are durable and chances are they won't break soon after me buying them. Game consoles in particular can last for many years after the time the new generations come to light, that's an opportunity for getting the previous generation at a more affordable price.