Would you consider herbal medicine to maintain your health?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by xTinx • Dec 22, 2014.

1. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been drinking raw herbs and herbal supplements for as long as I can remember. I credit much of my present health to constant herb intake. I was born with a congenital defect and had it not been for those supplements, I would have been as sick as the doctors who diagnosed me predicted. I don't even understand why many people, doctors especially, are skeptical about herbs when they're supposed to reinforce rather than compete with modern medicine.

I'm wondering, do you guys ever take herbal supplements? If not, what hinders you from doing so?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take stinging nettles daily for my sinus problem. I used to take prescription meds for the same problem, but the nettles does the same job with less side effects and they are much cheaper. I also take echinacea tincure whenever I feel a respiratory problem coming on. It helps to prevent me from getting sick.

I also drink powdered wheat grass every morning. It's like a boost of energy and my daily vegetable requirements in a glass.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I take herbal supplements because it's natural and safe. I have been using herbs all my life, I have used it on my food and drinks. I have also used it as a natural remedy to heal some cuts and bruises and any other ailments.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't take anything, natural or medical. Only if I am really ill will I take something, but will always try a natural remedy like lemon and honey if I can. Some herbs can help, but some can also create reactions or stop other medications working. It varies from individual, but I've never needed to take much medication so haven't needed to look into things.

Some herbal medicines are very expensive and there is no guarantee they work either.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Absolutely I am all for the use of herbal remedies. With the state of our present health care system in the US, I believe it would benefit everyone here to look into herbal remedies wherever possible. In just a few years down the road you will be glad you took the time to at least learn a bit about them.

6. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I am a firm believer inn the use of herbal medication. I had this pimple like thing for ages on my face, the doctor gave me cream and nothing worked, it was so ugly. Eventually I just figured it was part of me. recently took some sulfur for yeast and damn if that thing on my face did not disappear! there are a few things I know to work, I am seldom sick and when I am it is quite awhile before I turn to the doctor or buy over the counter cures. Herbals do work, but you have to take the time to educate yourself. What works even better is just good nutrition. Don't eat overly processed garbage.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Herbal medicine has few side-effects. If you, for example, have a medical condition that requires constant medication then herbs would be the best option because you can't get addicted to them. And you can save some money by growing your own herbs in your backyard, if you can.

That said, I hate the taste of herbs so unless circumstances called for it I'll not use herbs for medication.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like herbal supplements and take them from time to time. I used to suffer badly with insomnia, and I relied on stuff like Valerian as I didn't want to use any habit forming medicines. I also like herbal skin, hair and nails supplements, and currently take some for my skin regularly. I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised that ever since I started taking them (it's been a year), my cystic acne has been drastically reduced. Well let's be fair, it's GONE. I'm lucky that they are very reasonably priced too, which is usually not the case with herbal products.

That being said, there're some ailments for which I seek medical attention. My stand is, there's room for both herbal and medical treatments to exist :)

9. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I only use herbal medicines when I need them and I do take herbs for overall maintenance and health benefits. They always get the job done and they have worked for centuries. Taking herbs is the best and safest route to take. I don't know why so many people are skeptical when it comes to herbs. I have seen many people healed by the power of herbs; Healing and restoring that conventional medicine could not and would not do.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing about medicine is that the western medicine practices can be a little arrogant in the sense that they dismiss almost every other medicinal practice, even when there is proof punching them in the face that it is beneficial, or that it flat-out works. I have found that alternative avenues of medicine do work. Though not always; It is sort of trial and error. So on the flip side I can see how western medicine would shun or reject it. At the same time, I would like a merging of the cultures to take place for maximum effect. Having said that, I don't think we'll see it because the pharmaceutical companies make way too much cash and I am sure that hey want to keep it that way.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually turn to natural means before running to a doctor. The last time I went to a doctor, I was in disbelief (won't go into further details, I'd be writing all day). I went home very upset and started researching and trying anything that had no side effects or very insignificant ones. It took me a long time, but I healed myself. And I swear I would be far worse off right now had I not. I don't even want to think about it. What I did was dangerous though.. it could have gone either way for me and taking it into my own hands was risky. I do believe the earth heals the earth though and we are of the earth.. we just don't have all the answers yet.. especially with the huge back turned on reality about these things. It's just being delayed so money can be made on things we can't reproduce ourselves.

The science clan calls us deniers. How is nature and all it can do NOT science? Everything we take, both natural and not, are from this planet in one way or another. It's all science. I dare someone to call me a denier, I'm actually obsessed, but whatever lol. Oh but then the proof of marijuana starts trickling in and the government starts slowly taking it over and BAM, science crew is all over it, totally loving it and acting like a bunch of smug babies LOL. Hypocrites. I guess marijuana was created in a lab then? ;)

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Belated Merry Christmas, JosieP. I hope you had a fabulous time!!!! ;)

You and I have talked about this topic at length before, and so we know one another's views on he topic. I still can't disagree with you on anything lol. For me, I feel like they just don't want people to have the resources to help themselves, and especially for free, or for a less expensive rate than what the medical companies would charge. Nature is a part of us. Our very bodies are nature, thus it makes sense that natural substances would have a beneficial effect on us in times of sickness, and with minimal side effects too. At least, I have never seen a list of side effects come with a natural remedy as I have with medication. To suggest anything otherwise, especially when you go to some of these Eastern countires and witness the benefits for yourself, is crazy.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Merry Christmas! I don't know if you saw it over yonder (I'm hilarious), but I wished you a belated happy birthday ages ago too haha.. but you're an abandoner, so I'll have to let that one slide :p

I have no more to add, so I'll just go on about how smart and beautiful we are for a couple sentences. Deniers? Psssshhhh.. just smart and beautiful. I think THEY're the science deniers.. they're denying a whole giant side of science because there are no lab coats attached. Pssssh.. look how smart and beautiful we are.

14. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    Herbal remedy is the new craze nowadays, more and more individuals are turning to this as their source of help from various ailments. I an mot one who has recently discovered the usefulness of natural remedies, i was always there with it. I am someone who enjoys drinking mint tea, i have my mint tree on the outside and every morning i go out and break a small piece from the branch and boils this for my tea. The leaf of the sour sop tree is also one that i enjoy in the mornings as well and this one helps with the 'strengthening' of the nerves.

Discoveries are giving us a lot of information about some of the common herbs that we see everyday and was not even aware of their usefulness. I prefer alternative medicine over pharmaceuticals any day as i get better relieve from ailments with them.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh my God. I didn't see it!!!! :( On the plus side, thank you and you are hilarious :D Hahahah at you calling me an abandoner lol. You are never going to let that slide, are you? Hahaha! I'm smart and beautiful, JosieP, but I don't know about you ;)

Nikkishea21, I think you will find that herbal remedies far pre-date modern medicine. It may have flared back up nowadays, and some of the products may be scams. But that doesn't invalidate the whole effectiveness of herbal/alternative medicine .

16. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I like herbal medicines because many of them seem to work. Herbs, and natural things seems like they are the way to go because they can absorb into the body easily, however, if there is something that needs "stronger" medical attention, it's good to get that too.
    I have a ton of herbal teas that I don't use often enough. My grandmother used to wrap herbs in a small bag about the size of a dime and make me (and other family members) wear it around our necks to ward off colds and other sicknesses.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, going to bug you about it forever. Now I just look plain obsessed over there lol. Everything is posted by ghosts and the things that aren't are responses to posts by ghosts and the ones that aren't are (obviously) related to food or weight and I need more to talk about!! lol. Abandoner.

PS: I'm deliriously beautiful and exceptionally smart. I said so on the internet, so it must be true..

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL. I love your wit. I have been meeting a lot of women who posses such wit lately. I don't know whose rack to stick my face in lmao. Luckily for you, you live too far away, otherwise I'd probably pick your rack :) LOL!! I would well believe that you are deliriously beautiful. That is how I have always pictured you, and even if you tell me that you are not deliriously beautiful, I will continue to see you that way.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't take supplements, either chemical or herbal ones, but I'm open to it if I hooked at feel like I need it. I'm alright with believing in herbal supplements but I'm always very skeptical at first just because a lot of these companies tend to just sell you anything as long as they know they can trick you into thinking it's actually important but I don't doubt that there are some that are actually useful so it's best to just research as much as possible and find those ones.

20. kelojou

kelojouNew Member

Threads:
    yes, because it is natural, but we need to use in limit in regularly or else it causes some side effects. so you can use it as limit as you