Would you ever buy a GM manufactured Automobile?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Allison2021 • Nov 30, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Would you ever buy a GM manufactured Automobile?

My answer is YES! I love GM in general and Chevy in particular. This is my fourth Chevy. I plan on purchasing another Chevy in 2017.
    Now, don't get me wrong. I want GM to pay out to those survivors of wrongful death lawsuits. I would love to see the engineer who concocted the scheme to serve a life sentence. However, I expect to once more finance another Chevy.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like GM carss, and have certainly owned my share of them in my lifetime. My favorites were Pontiac and Oldsmobile, neither of which are being made anymore (sadly). My last GM vehicle was a beautiful Olds minivan, and it was a great car. It got good gas mileage, was easy to drive, and hauled everything that I needed to haul.
    I still miss it and wish that I had not sold it, but at the time, I thought that I wanted a smaller vehicle, and got a little Ford instead. Fords are okay, but that little Ford didn't run very well, so keeping the minivan would have been a much better plan.
    I would definitely buy another Olds or Pontiac vehicle again, and there is a good possibility that I may do that in the future.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't. As a matter of fact, I am thinking of totally giving up on cars. Previously, when I lived in a place where I was dependent on my car since there was no public transport, I often thought about how much I really would prefer to be in an area where I can get around with my bicycle, buses or trains.
    Luckily, I got my wish fulfilled when I moved to another country. I feel really great without a car. I am much fitter and happier without it.

4. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    I owed a '58, '63, '74, and an '81 Cadillac. I like GM products, but to tell the truth, the '81 Cadi is the last of the breed I am going to ever buy. Everything costs too much as it is but it seems that the cheapest thing on a Cadillac to fix costs a couple of hundred dollars.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would ever buy a GM vehicle again. I did buy a Chevrolet once. That car died on me. In all fairness though, it didn't have much horsepower and it couldn't handle the hills of San Francisco. I lived in Los Angeles when I bought the car. I mostly drove on the freeway. If I knew that I would be moving to SF, I would not have bought that model.

My father bought mostly Pontiac cars. They only car he ever purchased was a VW when we lived in Germany. Otherwise, every car he purchased was a Pontiac. He passed away before Pontiac cars stopped being made. He would have been heartbroken if he knew.

6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I have never owned a GM manufacturer car, mostly because they aren't very popular in my country, but, when I do see them on the road, I admire them very much. Gm cars are strong looking, fast, they can handle rough roads well, they are classy and reasonable on gas. I would say that I would definitely buy a GM manufactured motor car.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure I would. I actually work at Ford, so that is my natural preference, but GM does make good cars. They are going through a rough moment right now with the lawsuits and recalls but they have a history of manufacturing good reliable cars that shouldn't be forgotten just by this. I would own another car by them if I liked the car because I know they do make good quality stuff.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought several GM cars since the 90's, but honestly my experiences with them have never been good. Initially I had several Cavaliers and a few other Chevy's, and they all ran into the same problem over time - the alternators going bad in them, which sucks because I would have to get jumped, and would get stranded in various places.

In the early 2000's I bought a Pontiac Grand Am since my uncle worked for GM and I could get an employee discount. That car was one of the biggest lemons I ever bought. The only good thing about it was that the stereo system in it was pretty good for a factory system - but everything else about it was flimsy. My drivers side seat broke within a few months of me having the car - the springs inside it snapped and were poking out the back. I was only 175lbs at the time, not 600lbs or something like that. Then something broke on the heat shield underneath the car and was dragging on the street. Then the seal on the back window came loose and my window almost fell off while I was driving. Lastly, there was some persistent clicking and dragging noises I had to put up with all the time - they swore nothing was wrong with the car, but I could plainly hear it while driving. I bought this car brand new!

9. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I have and leased a few GM or Chevy products. In the past, I was one of the vocal proponents of GM stating they still put out a good automobile.
    Then, I became very upset with the fact that I had to come across the power steering recall on another blog. Gm still has not informed me about the recall on my power steering. I am still disappointed and mistrustful of Chevy.
    Now, I am beginning to fall in love of Ford!