Would you ever buy any gifts from a thrift store?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by dieselfit • Dec 11, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently learned that thrift stores actually have good products that can look complete new. It sounds like a great idea for those who are trying to save money while buying gifts for their loved ones. Apparently there's books that are .50 cents each and look new, and even unsold products from companies that donated them to the thrift stores, and they would be completely sealed and brand new. Has anyone ever done this or thought of it at least? I don't have any thrift stores in my country but I don't see why not for those who have them!

2. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    My grandparents buy some gifts for both me, my siblings and our children. You are right, a lot of things seem like they are very gently used and when it comes to books, games and such then its definitely fine I think. Especially when people don't have a lot of extra money but still want to buy for their loved ones around this time of year. I have even bought myself a few shirts there that still had the tags on them!

3. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    That is awesome to hear. Tons of products there are almost like new and as you mentioned, some even have the tags which makes it even more tempting to buy gifts from there. Even people with money, could have MORE money after buying from thrift stores. Think about the money that could be donated to those who are in need instead of buying it on full priced products!

4. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    When I have bought or even received gifts from the thrift store, pretty much everyone knew about it in advance, so it was never taken as a slight. Usually our family would say "thrift store gifts only" to make the challenge of finding cool and unique items that would be fun to receive. Basically, thrift store gifts I have bought and received have never been clothes (with the small exception of additions to a box of costumes and accessories), but mostly furniture, sporting goods, home decor, candles, shelves, kitchen goods, and so on. I think the best thing about thrift store gifts, however, is that if someone doesn't like what they received, there's not really any hard feelings about passing it on to the next person because the monetary value was low!

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, absolutely. Sometimes I find some surprising things in thrift stores. I'm a person that is more concerned with practicality than the value of the item itself. As long as it's useful and works, I have no qualms in buying cheap things. Even my friends and family don't mind that I buy them gifts from a thrift store. They know the kind of person I am and understand that it's the thought that counts.

6. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would buy from a thrift store. Many things are new or lightly used. Of course the price is right and just to keep in mind, someones trash is someone else's treasure.

7. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    It's all about the benefits, which is exactly what you've mentioned here. I agree with you that it's not really about the value but if the product can be put to use. Some products are so expensive that even if the person liked it at first, it may go in the storage room because it wasn't really practical or useful. It's all about if the product can be beneficial towards that persons life!

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found a really nice Nordicware bundt cake pan that would normally cost $20, for $3 at a thrift store. I bought it for myself, but I would absolutely give it as a gift if I knew anyone that was into baking.
    My local Goodwill used to sell a lot of junk, but the quality of their items has really gone up and you can find items from IKEA and Pier One there sometimes.

Most people would rather get an item from a thrift store that is high quality than a brand new cheap item. The $5 Belgian waffle maker I bought at Goodwill would be a better gift for someone than a brand new $5 item, because you can't usually get anything great for $5.

9. smlewis00

smlewis00Member

Threads:
    I have purchased gifts at thrift stores before. I think the imporant thing is to be sure the gifts are tactful and in good shape. I do not make a habit of going to thrift stores in hopes to buy gifts, however if I come across something I know someone would like or enjoy, then I buy it.
    My mother collects the green depression glass, jadeite. Many times I have found this paticular kind of glassware in thrift stores like Goodwill. I almost always buy it if it is in good condition. I then save the glass for the next upcoming holiday or her birthday to give it to her as a gift. I feel like this is a great gift because it is something she not only collects, but something she truly likes. I would much rather give her a used depression glass from Goodwill that I know she would love, than a basket of soaps and lotions that may just sit her her bathroom. (I am referring to the Bath and Body Works gifts sets.)
    I feel as long as you keep the recipient of the gift in mind and take into account their likes and interests, you could definitely find meaningful gifts to give from thrift stores.

10. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I love thrift stores!!! I find some of the coolest ideas there. I've been shopping at thrift stores stores since I was a kid and don't care who knows it. I don't mind gently used stuff at all!! Most of my family shops there and we frequently buy items for each other.

11. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    You're right, Thrift stores are way too fun when we're there out of randomness to see if we can find any treasure. It isn't really worth going there with the mission of "I'm going to get the finest clothing today" it won't work too well and will only lead to disappointment. That being said, it is fun just popping up every once in a while and buying things that will save us money in the long run. I've never heard of the depression glass, that's awesome!

12. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have no problems whatsoever buying gifts from thrift stores, depending on the person I would be offering them too of course. If it's someone with a good level of intimacy with me and that is minimally aware of my financial condition, that person would know that I am not rich and that buying something used doesn't mean disrespect, it simply means I can't afford something new, so I get the used, but perfectly functional and looking good item.

13. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would buy gifts from the thrift shop. I would call it vintage or antique, if it was a piece of furniture or a homegood. But the thrift store also have craft items for revamping so it is not impossible to find gifts thier worthy of sharing.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I would, because if the item still looks brand new, then I would be getting a good bargain off of it. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying stuff at a thrift store to be given as gifts as long as the receiver is not price or brand conscious.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless it was something brand new that was being sold at the thrift store I would not get someone a gift from one. For example, I bought some kitchen appliances at a thrift store a couple years ago that someone had bought, never used (they were still in the original box), and then sold to the thrift store. Then I would see no problem in buying it and giving it to someone as a gift, but I wouldn't give someone something that was already used!

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course, I buy things in opportunity stores all the time. Some of the items are brand new. I always find something there, from unusual clothes and antiques to furniture and electrical equipment. I even bought a laptop there once. I gave it to my sister who is still using it after 3 years. Thrift or opportunity shops are always my first choice when I need something new... or almost new. :)

17. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it would depend on the person, but I would not be bothered by getting a gift from the thrift store. I know you can find some really good items at thrift stores and sometimes, even new things. You can find collectibles also so if you know someone who collects certain items then that would be a good place to find some. I love going to thrift stores to see what treasures there are to discover.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thrift stores here don't carry high quality items but from time to time I do get lucky at surplus shops. I tend to buy a few items if I find something unique enough but I don't think they are good enough quality to give out as gifts unless it were just a small token on a regular day. For special occasions I prefer to spend a little more but I'd definitely give it out as a gift if it's just something I thought they could enjoy since it is cheap anyway and I can spend a little extra.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often find antiques to give as gifts from the second hand stores I visit. I found a car to give to a car fanatic friend of my daughter's that was not something he would have found in a store and a hand made plate that I gave as a gift with some fruit. A great place to find special gifts for special people.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not impossible to find something that looks like or actually is totally new in a thrift store. So yeah, if I find something which I feel can be a good gift for someone in a thrift store, I'll buy it. And as more people buy more stuff from thrift stores, anyone who gets such a gift won't be disappointed or think you are stingy. You have no obligation to buy anyone a gift after all.