Would You Give Up Your Privacy So You Could Get Paid?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Sep 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a smartphone user but I came across something interesting today. Google wanted to find out what people people browse, the sites they visit etc so they came up with Screenwise
    For that, users would be paid $8 for the first week then $2 a week thereafter. I don't know if they're still collecting the information they wanted but I'm not that interested.

Question is, would you sacrifice your online privacy for some extra cash? The 2 bucks Google offered for example?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    The compensation seems awfully low considering what they are asking. I don't think I would do this, but if I was in a situation where every dollar counted I might. I would be significantly more likely to allow this on my phone, not my laptop, because the sites I visit on my phone tend to be weather, news and sports so nothing very interesting. I also do not send personal information through any of these sites so I would not be as concerned about security.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    No way would I do this, not even if they paid triple that.
    I checked it out and it's not as simple as mentioned, here is the rewards program:

So not only is the amount mentioned only paid if you install it on a PC, smartphone and tablet, it's paid in vouchers for certain stores.

4. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I went ahead and signed up for it, and I'll tell you why. I use Google maps, gmail, Google Plus, Drive, you name it already for my personal stuff and for business. Google already knows more about me than anybody. I'd be kidding myself if I didn't believe that, but I love their products and love that they're free, so so far I'm trusting them with my information. So why not get some free Starbucks a few times a year in exchange for all that information?

Besides, remember Google's corporate slogan: "Don't be evil." ;) Let's hope they mean it!

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Google already has a ton of information about me. In fact, when I look at Google Analytics, I find it little scary how much they know about me and my habits.
    So I'm not worried about Google getting more info on me, I just don't feel like installing another low paying app. I already have enough low paying rewards programs that I have a hard time keeping track of.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't as who knows who they are selling this information to. Google collects so much data and it is intrusive, yet they have a monopoly on certain things. The payment incentive seems like compensation as they must be making a fortune by selling the information. I don't like adding apps or extensions and add them only if I have to and them uninstall them.
    I still get annoyed at the ads on my gmail and having to stop a google+ account from being added to my youtube. I know you can remove them, but I shouldn't have them if I don't want them!

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Whatever I searched online will always end up being shown on Google ads regardless of what kind of site I'm on. It just shows that Google is already tracking the sites that I'm searching and visiting. I would probably join the program too but unfortunately it's only available for US residents only. :(

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Eh....

On one hand, I want to scream NO WAY!

On the other hand, I know that they're already tracking what I'm doing anyway.... so why not get paid for it?

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Companies already track our movement online, so I guess it's not so bad since they at least offer compensation, but I just personally don't think it's that much worth it for the amount that they offer in return. I'd maybe consider it if it were substantially higher, but I understand that they wouldn't offer that much for such an easy task. I suppose it's good that. It's available for people who would find it useful.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the others who've said that Google and most of these companies already know most of our internet search history and the websites that we browse, so getting a bit of compensation for that doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. I still wouldn't do it though as I do a lot of online banking and it just doesn't seem like a good to start to actively let a site track my data to my banking site and webpage for $10 a month. But that's a couple coffees or a lunch out, which can certainly be a nice little incentive.

11. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I also have a similar deal with the Neilsen company. They track my web browsing history on my cell phone. Most days, I forget they're there. After reading this post, I was prompted to see if I had racked up enough points for anything with them yet, and lo and behold, I had enough for a $10 Starbucks card. Not bad for something I don't have to do anything for, as long as you're not too picky about your privacy. ;)

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that's passive income, so I think it's only advisable if you use 2 pc's, so that 1 could be used for sites that you think aren't too personal so that you can join the program. The other pc will be used to surf just the way you do so that you won't have to worry if Google "knows too much".