Would you guys mind helping me out in choosing a phone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by margarito • Nov 1, 2013.

1. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Hello all,

I'm in a plan of buying a new mobile and was in a dilemma whether to choose a windows mobile or an android one. I expect you guys to help me out in choosing my new mobile by stating few benefits of each. This will be the gift of my dad for my best performance in plus two and I'm not gonna take any chance of choosing the wrong one. I heard from a few that android is the best one and few say that windows mobile works out with my PPTs and all other presentations. This dual opinion completely landed me in a perplexed state. Any suggestions are kindly accepted. Thanks in advance.

2. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    Youre in luck! I used to recently sell phones for at&t and i retain alot of that knowledge

A couple of questions you and your dad need to ask yourself before choosing.

1) is your dad pretty tech savvy? If not is he intimidated by tech or a fast learner?
    2) how important are "apps" to your dad? along these lines, how important is "fitting in" to your dad? alot of people say they dont care about apps, and they arent really tech savvy or even care for the apps. But then someone comes along and says "oh my phone has an app for this and that" and suddenly the person wants apps, so they can keep up.

So, an android phone is going to be the more popular option. Android has a ton of apps and their OS has come a LONG way. However, i still think its a bit too complicated for older people or people who dont catch on to new tech quickly. This is mainly due to the home screen, widgets, multiple homes etc. Too many times ive come across a screen FULL of widgets and the person wonder why the device is running so slowly.

However, if there is an app your dad is looking for, hes more likely to find it on an android phone than a windows phone. Android phone models tend to be more abundant, so he has a wider variety of choices. Where as WP hasnt quite taken off so the choice are limited. Android phones, especially galaxy phones, also tend to have alot more "wow" features such as tv connectivity, dlna, head tracking etc. To me, these are all gimmicky and will be used once then forgotten. To others these are important features or selling points.

Now, onto the windows phones.

Windows phones are more reliable in my experience. Even with the newest versions of android, a windows phone goes longer without needing a reboot. It maintains connectivity a bit better as well. the Windows phone UI is VERY simple, easy to use, large "Live Tiles". Also, Windows phones have probably the tightest integration of social media features of any OS ive used. Although theres a facebook app available, its not needed since facebook is "baked in" to the os. Instead of having to open the facebook app, navigate to a persons page, then click images then albums, you can simply open your people tile, find your person then view pictures you have of that person on your phone, as well as pictures on his or her fb, and other social media services.

Office is a plus on this, but, even though its "official" office, its not nearly as powerful as desktop office.

Unfortunately, windows phones tend to come in less shapes and sizes than android phones. Many have sealed backs and no options for expandable memory. Also, the app market is not quite on par with what android or iOS offer.

You specifically mentioned powerpoint. Instead of a phone that still will not have full powerpoint capability, have you considered a windows 8 Surface tablet? If i understand correctly that runs the FULL actual version of windows, and will in turn run the full, real microsoft office.

3. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    That was astounding mate and thanks for such drawn-out response. Your info clarified almost all my doubts regarding android mobiles and made my path clear choosing the best phone that I actually need. Thank you so much for sparing your time on this and I'm sure this post surely clears off the dilemmas in many. I personally had great zeal towards apps and also games. Now I got confirmed that these perfectly works out with android phones. Then I finally had a last doubt. Android and windows mobiles have separate advantages in their on sense, is it?

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's easy. Get a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It's the hottest smartphone/phablet right now. It has a 5.7 inch super clear screen, a 13 megapixel camera and a quad core hyper fast processor. It's on Android but you don't have to worry about your PowerPoint presentations as there are a lot of apps that could handle that. Word files, Excel files, PDF, zipped files, you name it. Android has an app for almost everything. You won't be wrong with an Android.

5. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I think it really depends on personal preference. There are a few operating systems out in the market to choose from: Android OS, Windows OS, IOS, and BlackBerry OS. Both Android OS and IOS are the most popular operating systems out there. For Android OS, Samsung S3, Samsung Note 2, and HTC One are the best mobile devices in which offer a reasonable price. For IOS, both IPhone 4S and IPhone 5C are very good too. One thing to keep in mind is that it depends on how much will you spend on a phone. Cheers!

6. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Thank you so much for this. I too heard about Samsung Galaxy Note 3 but not sure about its features and I'm very much pleased to hear this from you. I didn't know that android has apps for all my requirements like PowerPoint, etc. I also love to have a good and high resolution camera and I think 13 megapixel is damn good for my use. Thanks for your info :)

Thanks Pandandesign. You are right in saying that selection is personal preference dependent and also depends on how much price we can afford for a phone. My budget is not up to the range of iPhone and after all I can only go with Samsung. As Samsung is my favorite brand I feel very happy in having one of Samsung's phone. Thanks for sparing your valuable time in helping me.

7. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I'd definitely go with an Android phone, check out Google's new Nexus 5 that they just released. Its a high end Android phone available for much cheaper than similar Windows/Android phones, definitely worth checking out.

8. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    If you are interested in getting a phone, I suggest the iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy. Which one you chooses is totally up to you, because the selection will change depending on the person you are and what you need as a person. I suggest searching for reviews and compare which phone would better suit your needs. Rest assured they are both the best two phones on the market right now.

9. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Thanks for your suggestion mate. It's my pleasure checking out to it immediately. I think this is a latest gadget released by Google earlier, isn't it?

10. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I can't really comment on windows phone because personally I never had one but I have had android phones and I love them. In my opinion I love android phones they are the best.

11. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's part of Google's Nexus range, although LG manufactures the phone. Its a stripped down version of Android and is meant to be faster, because its more strictly a Google phone it's a whole lot cheaper and will always be the first to get new Android software updates too.

12. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Android is the way to go. I think that the android OS is very versatile and anything you can do on window you can do about ten times better on your android. I think that it also depends on your budget and if you can get one of the high end spec android phones then you are good to go. The samsung galaxy range for me is pretty impressive.

13. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    This is undoubtedly the best one I've seen so far. Thank you so much for your suggestion to get this. Your advice is valued Orz. :)

[video=youtube;RMo03UfvsaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMo03UfvsaE[/video]

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now, now, calm down there, Android is definitely not such an amazing platform. It's missing a whole bunch of useful apps that iOS devices have, because majority of developers don't want to waste their time developing for Android, just to get pirated..

15. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I suggest getting a Android phone as well. Android has tons of great features, that make them the iPhones competitor. There are little to no flaws with a Android phone as well. They also have phones with great appearances as well.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Stick with Android. In fact, Google just recently acquired the company that makes Quick Office for their phones. Android is tied into all of Google's services, which makes it much more convenient. Microsoft is in a bit of a flux these days with Windows 8 flopping and their phones not gaining much traction in the US, not to mention their acquisition of Nokia. There is even talks of the new head of Microsoft potentially unloading some of their services such as Bing, which is tied in heavily with Windows products, which could become a headache. Even Bing's paid advertising platform might be in trouble next year if Yahoo doesn't renew their deal with them.

17. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I vote for Android too.
    It has more apps and it's more compatible. I don't recommend getting a Windows Phone because the app market still lacks many of the essential apps.
    Now, as far as what phone you should get, it really depends on your needs. My favorite phone right now is the Moto X because it's simple, runs an almost stock version of android and it looks amazing.

18. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    If price is an issue and you're looking to get into WPs, the Lumia 520 is pretty much your best bet. Depending on what your dad needs it for, you can't really go wrong with a Galaxy phone/tablet hybrid on the Android side, or either a Nexus 4/5 if bang for buck is an issue and you're in the US. Getting any other cheap-ish Android phone or tablet is generally a bad idea.

And, well, there's always refurbished iPhones.