Would you have sent the product back?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Serenity Fay • Sep 9, 2014.

1. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I recently bought the collector's edition of a game. When it arrived and I opened it, I found that the outer case of the collection was in pretty bad condition. It came with a soundtrack CD: the CD was fine but its case was completely shattered. The game itself and the box it was in was intact, thankfully. The seller stated that in a case like this, you can send the product back and they will refund you. The problem is, shipping from my country back to England would be very expensive. Also, there is obviously a chance that it will be lost on the way or the seller states they did not receive it, i.e. I would end up having paid for the game, paid for extra shipping and yet would not have the game.

What would you guys have done in such a situation? Has this kind of thing happened to you in the past?

In the end, seeing as I'm good with crafts, I managed to patch up the outer case which now looks ok, and replaced the shattered CD case as it was the normal transparent kind. I'm still pretty disappointed about it as I paid a decent amount for the item and it was kind of the seller's fault as he shipped it in a plain old packing envelope, not really suitable for an item of that kind.

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not good with returns. I always tend to either pay COD so that I won't have to deal with broken stuff but in your case, well is does the game work? I mean it's the main reason why bought it right? If it's just the casse that's broken then I would save myself the few extra dollars (or Euro's or whatever).

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know...I would have been tempted to send it back but I might have ended up just going your route and DIYing it. I suppose I might have tried contacting the seller to start with, see how receptive they are and if perhaps something could be worked out in terms of return shipping given that it was their poor packaging that caused the problem in the first place. If you paid a fair amount in part expecting it to be a certain condition, it isn't right to have to patch it up yourself.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the cost of returning the item is too high compared to the value of the item purchased I would keep it. I would leave a bad review for the seller and then again it could have been damaged intransit, not the sellers fought, maybe they should have packed it better to avoid damage intransit.

5. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    When I receive a parcel from online shopping, I always assess the condition of the outer packaging, and if the outer packaging was damaged, I would reject the item. If not, I will take a picture of the parcel as it has arrived, in case the dealer tries to put the blame on the parcel company. I do this so that if I open an undamaged parcel and there was goods that have been wrecked inside, I have evidence to force a return or exchange.

6. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    Since the shipping price would be expensive then I would just keep it and never purchase anything else from the seller. I would also give the seller a bad review because the product was not exactly how it was listed. If you do decide to send it back, I would defiantly have a tracking number so that the seller cannot say that they did not receive it.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I'm dissatisfied, I return the item. Your situation is not so cut and dry. I would do what you did. The seller was very careless. I would definitely leave a negative review to warn others about his/her carelessness to spare others the same disappointment.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have complained to the seller and asked them to pay return shipping so that I could return the game. Amazon sends a free return shipping label which is why I buy my games on Amazon. I'm a collector. A damaged collector's edition has no collector value.

9. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I would have sent the product back and asked for the company to reimburse me. They should have paid insurance for the shipping of the item if it's of high value. If I paid for a collector's edition, I expect to receive what I paid for in mint condition. I don't think it's unreasonable to request a replacement.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes, I would've. And it should've been on the seller to pay for the return shipping....or the shipping company, etc, if it was damaged during shipping. PayPal will sometimes intervene on cases like this, too, where shipping insurance, etc, is taken care of it you purchased through Ebay. I don't know what the international laws are, though.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are ways around you paying the shipping costs yourself. If you did decide to keep it, I would have given the seller as bad review as you can and screw him over in future deals if he's sending out bad products. If you're buying a collectors edition of anything, there's no reason you should have to repair damages on it yourself. It should come to you in perfect condition.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Personally I wouldn't send it back anymore. It's just too much work for a recreational activity. Although I do realize that just on principle alone I should be sending it back, but I would just choose to cut my losses at that point. However, it's mostly only because I'm not a collector and if it were me I'd only care about getting to play the game, and if I were buying it for a collection I would definitely send it back and get a new one and I would make as many complaints as possible to pressure them into giving me my money's worth.

13. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    As long as the game works I probably would have kept it. I don't care that much about the aesthetics of the box so long as it properly contains the game and keeps it safe, and it sounds like that was the case. That said if it came with anything else that I'd paid extra for - say, a figurine that got damaged - yes, I would probably send it back for a replacement.

Either way, negative review. That's intolerable. Given the sheer amount of competition out there these days, shippers need to remain in the good graces of their customers as much as they can.

14. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    Oh no! I would be irate if something like that happened to me. I would do my research to make sure you know whether it was a shipping error or faulty packaging on their part. A bad review would not be my first option on something like this. Find out what you can about everything before letting people know how you feel. Passionate feelings only last for so long, and reviews work best under a calm head.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will just file a complaint with Paypal and that usually solves the problem. So far I have only tried to escalate the dispute once when the seller was uncooperative, and I managed to get my money back, and I wasn't even required to ship the item back, which was wrongly described. In my country, shipping abroad costs a lot, so it's not worth it to ship the items back since the cheapest shipping fee is usually above $25.

16. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    If the seller did not explain these flaws in the original auction, then you have every right to send the product back for a refund. Fair is fair. First, contact the seller and explain what happened and how unsatisfied you are with their care for packing your item. Since they said you can return the item in this type of situation, they should have no issue with it. However, if they do, then open up a case on the website you ordered the item from so they will have to pay for the shipping fees to return the item along with your refund. Good luck!

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have kept it and chalked it up as a loss so to speak, though it doesn't sound like it was a total loss, just not in the pristine condition you were hoping it to be. Changing the CD case is an inexpensive fix and I personally probably would have done that anyway since CD cases can easily get all scratched up and cracked, and they all pretty much look the same anyhow.

There will always be some wear and tear on the boxes over time - there's not really much point in buying a game if you're never going to actually play it. I can understand that some people may like to display this type of stuff on their book shelves as decor too, but again, it's understandable and perfectly normal for the packaging to become a bit worn.

18. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    I also had a similar experience wherein I bought some items from an online seller. The pictures she posted really looked brand new. The items were still in the original packaging. When the package arrived, the items were inside a Ziploc bag much to my dismay. I asked the online seller about it and she replied that she didn't know about it because the package was shipped by a third party. She apologized and said she would give a refund for the items. Days and weeks passed and I received no refund from her. I kept messaging her at first but grew tired of waiting. I just hope I was not her only victim. Now, I cannot trace her online. I thinks she changed her username already.

19. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    If I was in that situation, I would first contact the seller and attempt to negotiate how to settle the dispute. While many sellers state that return costs are to be fully borne by the buyer, if you explained that the way they packaged the product was inadequate, that could make them change their mind and pay for the return instead. Also, if you are worried of the return getting lost, if it is a pricey item to begin with, always ship with tracking! Never take the gamble. I would not have accepted such a product if it was a collector's edition.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We recently found ourselves in your situation. We order laptop keyboard from eBay, and it came from England, too. We're all the way in Botswana, quite far from the UK, so you can imagine how high the postage fees are. When it arrived, it was for the wrong model! We immediately got in touch with the seller to let him know, and he was very apologetic and cooperative and asked us to return it so he could issue a refund. We did and within receipt of the item, he refunded us. So we were very lucky.

If i were you, I would have returned the item. It's only fair.