Would you hire a cleaner?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Dora M • Mar 17, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes my place really needs a total clean-out. I mean everything, from throwing out old things that have no use anymore to cleaning hidden places that I have almost forgotten about. So twice a year I call up a couple of cleaners who go over everything and do a really great job. They are a man and a woman, which is Handy, as the man can fix all kinds of things and lift heavy furniture. I think they are really worth the money.
    Do you ever have the need for a cleaner?

2. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I can use your use for some extra help, but I myself wouldn't hire a cleaner. The weather is still a bit cool in Canada, but when the weather warms up my husband and I will do a really good clean. Open all the windows, air out the house from winter. We go through stuff as we clean and either give it to charity or sell it. It takes a solid weekend to get everything spotless, but we do it together.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't. First of all, I don't see a reason to pay extra money for something I should be doing myself. Since I'm a tidy person that cleans a little daily it never comes a time when there's too much to clean or do. But if by absurd it happens and I need extra hands for cleaning I just call my close relatives and we get the job done. Now, if I were to live in a big house with a big garden maybe I'd hire someone since the time I'd have to spend doing this and that it's worth good money. But now, looking at my little apartment there's no way I'd hire someone since I need to save all the money I can.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really need to hire one! I was thinking of having a cleaner at least one a month. I could pay for that, it wouldn't add that much to my budget and would be totally worth it! However, my biggest problem is not paying for a cleaner, but getting one I can trust enough to let in my house while I'm out. I wanted a cleaner to go during the week while I'm at work, that way they wouldn't bother me while I'm there and work quicker. But I'm always scared the person will steal something from me. So I'm always postponing hiring someone!

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally I would never hire a cleaner. Some of my friends do on a regular basis, or they will pay another friend or relative of theirs to clean their place. I don't like the idea of them going through all my stuff, not to mention having access to my place. I would always been second guessing them anytime something was missing or something was messed up.

Plus there are just some days/weeks where I am under the weather and my place is a mess, and it's embarrassing to have others see that all. You know some of these people go and gossip about that stuff to other people.

A friend of mine is currently cleaning some other guys house from time to time for the extra money, and I've been meaning to break the news to the guy since he's older, but my friend is a major kleptomaniac and steals from everyone, including his friends. I didn't want to stir up any crap though since I don't really know the guy that well, but I can guarantee you my friend is lifting stuff from his place every time he's there.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I do hire a cleaner. A cleaning lady comes in once a week for general cleaning and to also help me with my laundry. I have two kids and a WAHM and so I love having a day off from housework. This is why I hire her. Labor in our country is cheap. An 8-hour work just costs me $10. I only hire a trusted helper. I have been using her services for many years now.

7. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I would say 1-2 times a month, if I could really afford it. I don't see myself in that position any time soon, though. For now, I will have to dedicate my free time to getting our cleaning responsibilities handled. My husband and I dedicated a solid 1.5 hours this past Sunday to get a bunch done, and surprisingly the house looks great now!

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hired a cleaner once. He was a tramp who'd stopped by to ask for some food and I thought it would be better to have him work for his fare. I have to admit he did a very good job. From then on, every once in a year, before Christmas [that's when relatives and friends visit] to get the house clean, I always get an extra pair of hands to help me.

Of course I don't like it that they go through my stuff so my study room remains locked during such clean ups.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How much do you pay them to do a clean up like that?

For me personally, I haven't yet, but I was looking at prices for it when I was considering my moving plans this time. As much as I hate cleaning sometimes, it was still a better bet for me to just do it myself this time.

I have done this for other people previously, though. It's amazing what kind of people can hold onto sometimes that they didn't even know they had still!

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to have the extra hands to help with heavy things that I can not lift. Also I would have a person clean the house at least once every other month to keep it clean once I get it clean. I would watch the person to make sure I can trust them the first few times they come into my house. I also would like help in the yard, which we do have right now but a little limited.