Would You Move Back Home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Aug 5, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last year, according to a tabloid, more than 500,000 middle aged adults moved back to their parents homes. Some of them had fallen on hard times while others moved back so they could spend less money. The trend is getting to be so common that a number of bloggers have written articles to teach people how they can move back in with their parents [with dignity].

There's nothing to be ashamed of I think. They are your parents after all.

To save money, would you do this?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If my parents have a home of their own, I probably wouldn't move back because I already have a home of my own. It's okay to keep in touch with them regularly and go on vacations with them - that's what we do now, we go on vacations with my mother tagging along. However, if they would have a problem in their home, then maybe we can hire a housemaid for their company.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I already live at home, with my mother and her boyfriend, and their three children. I have never moved out, and I am almost 25, or at least I will be in October. I don't feel ashamed about this or anything. I don't have the means to finance my own place as of yet, and cannot picture it honestly. But I know that I'll be okay when the time comes. So yes, to save money, I am living at home with my mother and her boyfriend.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, why not? I went back to my mother's to transition to a new city.. it made the whole process a billion times cheaper and smoother because she was half way between the two places we needed to be. If someone falls on hard times, which is SO beyond common these days, then who can we rely on if we can't rely on our parents? So many parents want to then charge their kids rent or put rules on them or not let them back because they're adults now and should be on their own two feet and I think that's cruel. Back in the day, careers were practically handed to you.. life was simpler, most older adults have no clue what it's like today unless they're thrown into the mix and get the experience first hand. These days, hard working, honest people are being trampled and it's not a matter of "then you just don't want it bad enough" or "I did it, so can you".. society is set up for people to fail.. and fail hard. When that happens, our parents should be the cushion we can fall back on. And nobody should be too proud to go home either.. it can really turn things around if everyone is mutually respectful of the other.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few years back, I had to do the very same thing myself. It was only for a couple of months and whilst I was, and remain, grateful to my mother for letting me stay, I couldn't wait to get out of the place. There's no way I could live there full time. There's absolutely no shame in doing this though, if you can handle it then why not?

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hope that it never comes to that, but it's nice to know that I could if we fell on hard times. I imagine it'd be extremely hard as a married couple, especially with children, to go back and live with mum and dad. But if I had to, I'd definitely do it. Communities such as Asians and Italians often do it.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have, when in between jobs - there's nothing more stressful than having a lease hanging over your head when you're not employed. My folks didn't mind at all, but the real problem was with my older sister and brother, who still live at home as well. My oldest brother never moved out on his own, he's just been working at a dead end job for the past 20 years and not doing anything with himself. My sister bought a house, but she still lives at home and only pretends to live there. She too is working at a dead end job that never promoted her, and basically can't afford to live on her own, so she mooches off my parents for food, cable, electric, etc... because she can't afford all these extra expenses on her own at her house.

When I did have to move back for a period of time, they started acting like complete assholes about it and were constantly trying to pick fights with me about everything, and constantly doing anything they could to get on my nerves. We were at each others throats 24/7, which wasn't fair to our parents, to put them through that much stress. Both of them really need to STFU considering neither of them have ever done anything with themselves.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with moving back in with your parents, if it means that you would be able to afford your own place more easily. Where I live, if I was renting a property, there is no way that I could save up for my own place at the same time - so I would be stuck renting forever. Whereas if you live with your parents for a couple more years instead, you should find that you are able to put down a deposit on a place of your own without having to cripple yourself financially in order to do it. So as long as you have plans for the future, and your parents don't mind (and, of course, you are doing plenty to help around the house) then this can be a great solution to many problems.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter will likely be living with me until she's 25 because we agreed that there's no reason for her to move out at 18 when we get along so well and can help each other. She can move out when she finds a husband or lesbian life partner.
    I'm not in a hurry for my daughter/best friend to move out and struggle financially when she has a perfectly good home with me. Besides, it would be weird living without my partner in crime.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That actually sounds like a wonderful idea. I do know that it is only certain cultures and or parts of the world that put pressure on their young to move out as soon as possible in order to gain status within society, or quite conversely, will put pressure on older offspring who still have not moved out yet. But I have seen many households where offspring over 25 are still living at home and helping out their parent or parents with the finances, and it works perfectly fine, at least from the outside looking in.

PS: I am squeeing at how cute you and your daughter are. 'partner in crime!!' Awwwww!!! :D :D

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I spent a lifetime living with my parents, and not precisely because I would like to save money.

When I was a teenager, I wanted to have a "single's apartment" to enjoy all those dreams off freedom youngsters have, but my parents translated my wish into a kind of "apartment for orgies and excesses" that were never my intention, just the need to make my own decisions, cook my own food, do my laundry and come in and out at my sole discretion.

So that first attempt to be independent failed. Later, I thought to be too old to be living with my parents while approaching quickly to my 30s, yet I love them up to date and in certain way I didn't want to go away at all, just to enjoy more freedom, that they gave me by giving three rooms (including my bedroom) in their large house, so I had a kind of small apartment within their home, and freedom to come in an out as I wished because either way I was then a adult to stop me.

And time kept going on and made we want to have my own home, a husband and children, but happens that I fell in love with a man my parents never approved due to his low social status and I was so fool to start drinking rather than fight for my love or simply run away, but still living with them all the time.

More years in between and I just left my parent's home 5 years ago, but I had to return twice due to lack of experience managing my own life and failing to keep my rent paid up to date, until now that I will be celebrating my first year of being away next November.

So if we would sum up in months the time I have been away of my parents home we can conclude that I have not lived with them for about 32 months in total.

I wouldn't return to my parents home now, even if I would have no money to pay for the rent because this time I have the purpose to finally settling and building up my own home because, after all, I meet with my family twice a week and are continuously in touch with them over the phone.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely expect not to have to do that, but I wouldn't be ashamed of doing so if I needed to. I left home at 18, so it would actually be nice to spend some more time with my mom, now that my dad is gone

13. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with living at home if everyone gets along. Especially if you're contributing to their household in some way (physically/financially). You can help them and still save money.

For me personally, my mom and I get along better if we don't spend too much time together. We're happiest talking on the phone and occasionally going out to eat or me taking her to the doctors and chatting in the waiting room for a bit. I can spend one night there...if she really needs help because she's just out of the hospital or something. Beyond that, someone would end up hurt. Probably me. It wouldn't be pretty and then the relationship would be damaged again and we've worked so hard to get along again at the level we do. Even in a time of dire need, I would go to a friend or live in the car or a tent in a campground before I would move back in with my mother. (note: I have lived in a tent in a campground for a semi extended period once already, a whole semester of college when I didn't get along with my roommate. It was cheaper AND I had access to a pool & a gym.)

14. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I had to move back home because I got sick and it was easier because the hospital (where I would have 2 surgeries and a few rounds of chemo) was closer to my moms. It was nice to have that cushion because my ex-fiance barely paid his share of expenses at the time of my diagnosis. In some ways, my mom and I are closer...

but...she has her own issues like diagnosed bipolar disorder. For one, she was never really there in terms of giving me good advice or leading by example when I was growing up. In fact, we had a falling out a couple of months before I knew how sick I was. Keeping this in mind, I tread lightly in her house. I'm feeling better and looking for work so I can move out by early next year. But in the meantime, she looks for reasons to have a confrontation. Right before spring break, I went out to let off some steam. Called at 7:30PM to let her know I was on my way in. ETA was 9:00PM and she went off a little. :( She also insists on getting into my business and sharing it with people I don't know. BTW, I do pay a small amount every month, buy a lot of food and respect her dietary wishes by not cooking or eating anything that is not seafood in her presence. Since I got rid of my last car a while ago, I would rather take the money saved to get a place now. However, I'm trying to play it cool for the next few months.

If an adult has a situation like mine, my suggestion is to save every penny like you're paying rent. That way, should things boil over, you will have money for a room if you need to leave the house right away.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have already moved out, and there is no way that I would want to be back in my parent's house, ever unless I'm an orphan already. I would rather spend more than live with them. So that is my main goal in life, to be stable enough to buy my own home.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd be okay with it since it's still much better than being homeless. Luckily my parents aren't that hard to get along with as they are pretty much relaxed and very accommodating but I imagine it must be hard for those who find their parents a little annoying even if they love them very much still since as an adult it would be difficult to be back to following your parents rules and schedule.

17. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I'd be fine with it, but I wouldn't want to live there for long, like most people in this thread. I like my parents just fine, they're nice people, but we get along better now that I've moved out. It would also be a matter of practicality, as my wife does most of her work in the city, and my parents live a decent commute from said city. Better we just find another apartment if that comes up. But, yes, better than being homeless...

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would feel like a fool if I did that. My mother has kind of a difficult personality and I would not want to be around her all the time. I wouldn't mind being in the same community, but in terms of the same house I think not. I would try to find some other alternative. I have lived with them for short periods as an adult and that was long enough. Now, if my dad passes away, I would consider spending longer periods with my mother as I am sure she would be lonely, and vice versa he would be too...but I don't actually have much of a relationship with my dad.