Would You Pay For A Professional Home Organizer?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Jan 24, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this type of service is reasonably priced or not, for what it is. I know some people hire others to clean their homes, do their yard work, and take care of many other tasks. I think that if I could afford it, I would be tempted to hire an organizer.

I know how to do the stuff, but I don't like doing it. It needs to be done, but decorative stuff is much more fun. So, I guess I'll go with decorative organization, ha ha.

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I would never pay for it. I could spend the money getting cute tubs or storage or things to paint a cabinet so it doesn't look shabby. It is time consuming, but when you're done you can take a step back and just admire your work. That is how I am. I guess I'm a little cheap that way. But I also like projects especially when I have nothing better to do. But I agree decorating is so much more fun.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't hire a professional organizer either. I would be watching their every move and they better not tell me to get rid of ANYTHING they are there to organize not tell me to get rid of my stuff. They may not like that kind of attitude.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had seen on tv how a home organizer works. They have a standard to follow and they seem to be fast on deciding what to do. Very impressive. However, the cost is very stiff and I guess home organizers are only for the rich since the fee is not affordable to middle class like me. But it's good to see on tv how they work. We can get some ideas on how to do it particularly in the way they store things (Christmas decors for example).

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I won't because this is something that I can do by myself, and I might make some money out of this when I become knowledgeable about home organizing myself. It's also nice because I can have a project of some sort which is another place where I can vent out the stress on my daily life.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, because it's something I do for others already. I think they can help some people, especially males who live alone because they may not be used to utilizing space. Whenever I have seen shows where people come into help, people always move things back. Sometimes you just have to do what feels right for you. A home is supposed to be comfortable after all.

I think that this would be a matter of if I had the money. If I had the money, I'd probably pay a lot of people to do a lot of different things for me where the household is concerned. As far as a professional home organizer, would they be the one making all of the choices? I would like to make the choices and then pay them to do as I wish lol.

#6Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This. They go the extreme, at least on some of the shows I watched. I would not throw away something important to me, just because they don't like it. I've watched people do it and cry. Why don't they just say no? People are so afraid to stand up for themselves these days.

I see it with designers too. "Oh, you want white cabinets in your kitchen? It's always been your dream to have a kitchen filled with white cabinets? Well, we're going to do blue ones."

WHAT??? And, they just let them do it.

Not this old girl. They'd be bringing in some white cabinets in a hurry. :p

Right. Me too. Okay then, I guess I don't need an organizer, I just need a maid, ha ha.

8. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I can't see myself paying for one, but I think there services are much needed. If my life became so hectic (and I had money to blow)where I didn't have the time to organize things in my home....then maybe I would pay for their services.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @Zyni@Zyni. That's something else to consider when hiring a professional organizer or designer. "Trust me. You're going to love it." (We must watch the same shows LOL). You would be paying for their design ideas not unless you presented your designs to them and was a part of the actual work.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I would never want to pay somebody for doing something that I could do for myself, because it just seems as though it is a very lazy option to take, if I'm being honest. I know that I can do my own garden and my own cleaning, so I set times every week to do these things so that I don't get behind with them. That's the best way to go about things, and I know that is the way that I will be more efficient and won't waste money on getting people to do this type of work for me.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of a professional organizer but am definitely not willing to pay for their services. I've watched a few home shows on tv and I think my biggest problem is I need to purge and then I can get organized. I need to have the 3 bins or keep, sell and give away/toss. Once I do this I think I can get organized. I have many friends who these immaculate well organized houses and I don't know how they get the time to do it. I would love to be that kind of person but alas I don't mind having some clutter in my house.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I think they are great for hoarders. I would rather watch a show or youtube video on organization and do it myself. You have to learn the skills otherwise you will probably be back to your unorganized ways. I do periodically organize some things...but sooner or later it all goes downhill. I would like the skills of learning to stay organized...and keep it that way...bottomline I think it has to be important to you.

13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    If this is something that is being done to your home, I might hire a professional. I know I don't have a whole lot of knowledge when it comes to installing fancy shelves and what not. If this was just an apartment I might not worry about hiring someone unless I actually own the apartment versus renting. I don't want to put unneeded holes in the wall or waste money buying things I don't know how to organize and install.

14. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I took a course on this last year but I chose to not add it to my services. One reason is that it takes a special talent to know what is worth trashing and if a person is good, their job is to make life easier for the client, not just clean. So for myself, I wouldn't but for my grammie, who is a hoarder, this service would make life a little easier. Like another poster said, I would need to be close by so they don't destroy anything of value.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha ha, right. I'm an HGTV fan. The designers and such can be way over the top at times, in my opinion. I guess they have to be to some extent or everything would just be beige in every house, but come on.

It was fun to think about hiring someone to do it, but nah, I don't think I ever would. I should probably go organize something now. ;)

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - absolutely never could I justify the expense of hiring a professional home organizer - as for me - because I'm already extremely minimalistic - after a lifetime of frequently moving from one place to another - and am also one of those naturally methodical and organized sorts who doesn't like clutter - paying for someone to do something that I constantly do myself - almost without thinking - would be a total waste of money.

That said - I can't honestly say that I would ever be happy to pay for anything that I could easily do myself for free - especially as - even if you don't know how to do something these days - its real easy to learn how to - as not only is there an abundance of information on virtually every subject imaginable - but its all instantly accessed at the press of a button.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't pay for a professional organizer because it would only be a one time thing and not have the same long term benefits as just learning how to get organized. I'd rather just get the Mari Kondo organizing book and learn how to do it myself.
    Plus, I don't really like the idea of a stranger going through my personal belongings.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm not lazy. I'm disabled.

I can eventually get it all done, but it would be nice to have it done quickly, all at once. I just daydream about paying people to do stuff for me sometimes. I don't actually hire anyone. I do it myself.

I'm a big fan of DIY everything (even if it takes me a little longer to accomplish stuff). For some people it might be worth the price, but yeah, if I can do it myself, I don't pay anyone to do it.

19. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I am a very organized person, therefore, I do not think that it is necessary to hire a home organizer for my home.
    Of course, the TV shows, such as Hoarders, give the impression that especially people with mental disorders need them and they definitely do a good job, without a doubt.
    I guess if I would have the money to have it done but not the time to do it myself. I would pay someone but other than that no.
    And even though I am organized I can get really weird about and mad at people touching my personal belongings and especially trying to move my stuff around!

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never pay for a professional organizer even though I know a few people who do it for a living. I am very organized so I don't need this type of assistance. But there are people who definitely need this type of help. I have heard so serious horror stories. Some people really struggle to get and stay organized.