Would You Pay More On Your Tv Package To Watch Sport?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by cocolgooh • Jun 28, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the TV packages here require you to pay additional money to be able to watch the sports shows or sports channels they have here. Would you pay extra to be able to watch them, or would you settle for watching the highlights or only watching it online, or only watching The Limited programmes they have available for free?

Personally I don't pay to watch the sports channels. I usually just watch the free programmes that are available. I'll occasionally go to a friends house or a bar if I want to watch an event I don't have access to on my own TV as it's usually a big enough game that someone else would be watching it too.

2. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    As a fairly hard-core sports fan and the father of three sons, I would certainly pay more for premium sports channels on my TV package with one caveat. The sports channels in question would have to be weighted heavily towards the four major American sports (baseball, basketball, football and hockey) with an emphasis on teams that are located closer to my residence geographically. I would also like the package to include coverage of the major worldwide sporting events such as the World Cup, Tour de France and the Winter and Summer Olympics, It might be expensive but I believe, on a per hour cost, the benefit and enjoyment that I would get out of viewing these events would be worth it.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of most sports except football and during the world cup and Olympic championships so the limited channels would be enough for me to have more than I can handle. In any case, most free channels have many sports programs and unless one's occupation depends on sports, there wouldn't be enough time to watch them. I would rather invest in a computer or a smartphone and view myriads of channels through Youtube for free.

4. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    There is a limited selection of sports available on free channels outside of the weekend since even Monday night (ESPN) and Thursday night (NFL Network) football games are not on free television. YouTube is fine for people who have a vague passing interest in sports since you can catch a few highlights and keep up to date enough to be conversant with the current news in the sporting world but having the ability to get in-depth analysis and watch the event as it is happening just provides a thrill that can not be easily duplicated. I do have an upper limit for what I am willing to pay but the most critical channels that I want for a TV package are ESPN, ESPN2, NFL Network and NHL Network.

5. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't since I'm not really into sports. I passionately love soccer and several channels that already come included in my cable package provide good enough coverage of the major tournaments. Even if I miss something, usually they show the highlights of the game on the news and often I'd rather just watch the summary on the news than spend the whole two hours in front of my TV. I can live without the extra premium channels.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband is an aficionado of UFC, that martial arts fighting similar to boxing. When our cable tv provider had lost the contract this year for the channel of UFC (ultimate fighting championship), my husband was disgusted. After months of not watching his favorite sport, I checked on the cost of another cable provider. And since it is only slightly more than $10 a month, I subscribed and had installed the Cignal Cable last month. So our living room tv has Sky Cable while the bedroom tv has the Cignal Cable for the UFC channel.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, we already are! My husband is a huge football fan, especially the EPL. So because over here we don't really have a single decent TV station to speak of, or even freeview channels, we have to rely on a South African company that's robbing us blind for decent viewing. As in most cases, the way they package their suites is such that you end up having to go with the premium/most expensive package because the clever sods do it in such a way that the most popular 'bouquets' are the most expensive! So we have to go with it as we have no other choice...grrr!!!

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    No, no and no. The only sport I occasionally watch is football and that can be seen on local channels. It would be a waste of money for me to spend extra for a sports package.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't care about sports, and if I'm exercising it's either dancing, walking, running or yoga. None of those are "sports channel worthy". So I definitely would never pay more for those sports channels. Not only they are crazy expensive, they are too specific.
    I don't even like paying extra for movie channels. I prefer watching them through streaming.

10. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I don't usually watch sports and I would never pay extra for additional sport packages. My dad just loves football, basketball and MMA, so he did pay the extra package. I think it's boring, I only watch Netfix anyway.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The savings gotten from having no sports channels depends on how much you value sports. Note, myself, I don't like to watch sports that much, only play. However, though, I do love the internet, so a better plan for it would be a value, in my opinion. Do you see my point?

#11Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would. I am an avid sports enthusiast and there a huge variety of sporting events that are usually taking place each day. The general content of movies and events can be very boring sometimes but to me, that's not the case with sports because there is usually something that is somewhat exciting going on.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I are not huge sports fanatics so paying extra for them would be a waste. If he were to want to watch a sport event he would just watch it online for free. Packages that include the sport channels are way too expensive and in my opinion not worth it unless one will watch them often. If I don't have free access of something I want to watch in the basic package the internet is the option.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Why would I pay more to watch anything on the tv if I can hire an internet servisse for a much more affordable value and have access to all that I would have on tv (but would have to pay more for it)? :D So, my answer is "NO". :)

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We too are not sports fans, so no I don't subscribe to sports channels. I read the local newspapers for the scores of MLB that I watch every season. We like other things to watch on TV that we like a lot like NCIS. Just not a sports fan, so we save a bit of money not subscribing to sports channel. We don't have digital channels too, so we save here too. :)

16. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't pay extra for sports channels. I'm not big on sports unless I'm playing them. I don't really like watching on TV but I could be persuaded to watch a live game because I just love that vibe and the atmosphere at most games. Even if I don't know much about the game, I always get caught up in the excitement.

17. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    Unlike some guys here, I'd not pay much for just additional sport channels..
    I'm not yet a sport-fanatic..you know..I found out that most people who do so (pay for more, for 200 sports channel and 2 news channel then one comedy/diet channel) are just sports-fanatics. Especially the crazier football fans. Not bad at all, I'm just saying..

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    That is true Cocoolgooh, TV packages here require us to pay additional money to be able to watch the sports channels we want and I do pay 3 dollars extra for three more sports channels. This is not a problem for me, and I am willing to pay more for the TV channels I want to see on my TV. I am just glad that they offer the best transmission ever, I never had any problems with my cable TV, no matter the weather or anything else!

19. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not! First off, I do nor like nor watch any sporting games on TV (well except for Rhonda Rousey's matches :) ). I would never pay more for watching sports. I never can understand how or why people are so fascinated and taken with some sports especially football.

My brother in-law is a perfect example of this. Great guy. love his family to bits. But his fascination and addiction to football games sometimes borders on obsession. He would leave family meetings to go catch up on a game and this makes my sister so upset.