Would You Recommend Amazon Prime?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Jxhn • Mar 15, 2015.

1. Jxhn

JxhnNew Member

Threads:
    Recently, I have been considering upgrading my Amazon account to Amazon Prime. This is because I have realized over the past few years, I have been making increasingly more online orders. This holds especially true for electronics and books. Currently, I am making one to two orders per month, and these numbers are higher during holidays. This means that I am paying a rather large amount on shipping, and Amazon Prime gives shipping for free and fast deliveries.

Also, often times I miss deliveries because I am not home most of the day during the week and most deliveries must be signed off. Amazon Prime delivers on weekends through the USPS which means that I would potentially decrease the number of missed deliveries and trips to the post office.

So, do you guys think that Amazon Prime would be a worthy upgrade in my situation? How has your Amazon Prime experience been? Thanks in advance!

2. aceofspad3s

aceofspad3sNew Member

Threads:
    I say yes. I had Amazon Prime for free as a student, so I'm a bit biased in that I didn't have to pay for the perks, but if I still made the same number of online orders that I used to, I would have eagerly kept it and paid the price. Besides, you also get access to some online content like streaming videos that adds to the value.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I signed up recently for the amazon prime 30 day free trial and I have to say, if you use amazon a lot, and I mean ALOT...then its definitely worth signing up.
    For me personally I don't think I'd get any value out of it because even though I do use amazon a bit, I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan.
    I guess it depends on how often you'd use the benefits.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the US I do think it's worth it. I had the student version so had a free trial and a discounted rate so it was worth it just to watch the films and shows. They are more perks with free e-books, but the shipping savings do help and I ended up ordering for other people for them to save on shipping. You can also use Prime to watch shows on other places, so when I visited a friend we could watch on her x box as well as my laptop.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the person who said it's only beneficial if you do a huge amount of shopping on Amazon. When they first introduced it, I very nearly signed up for the movies and eBooks. But when I did the maths, I just didn't think it'd be worth it in the end because we'd only be using it for those two things, not really getting our money's worth. I just wish they'd separate some of the services and provide them at a lower fee, because all I'm interested in really is the eBooks; i'd be there in a heartbeat.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure I would ever pay for Amazon Prime because like I said before I'm not into subscriptions. You would have to do a lot of shopping for it to be worth it and their stream catalog of TV shows and movies in Prime is meh. Also as far as shipping, I don't know if it would always be worth it because the speed of delivery depends on your mail carrier.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is worth it if you do a lot of shopping on Amazon. It would save you a lot of money on shipping in the long run. Another thing to consider is how fast you want things delivered to you. You get free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime. I don't consider it's a good value for me because I don't order that many things, and I can patiently wait a week or so whenever I do buy something there.

8. Jxhn

JxhnNew Member

Threads:
    I would like to thank everyone for your solid advice. Last night I decided to sign up for Amazon Prime and see how much money it could potentially save me in this coming month. I think it is a worthy upgrade especially since I am ordering products from Amazon regularly.

9. isayhello

isayhelloNew Member

Threads:
    If you want to have some fun with your newly acquired Prime membership, check out

-- it lets you sort Amazon search results by prime price, so I've found stuff there that you buy for like 20 cents and have it shipped to you for free (example:

)

10. PurpleGuardian

PurpleGuardianNew Member

Threads:
    Did you get the free trial? I think that since you say you order from Amazon regularly then it is indeed worth it. For those who don't order from Amazon very much I don't think it's worth it just for the occasional purchase or movie/TV streaming (as there are much better, cheaper alternative for streaming).

11. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I have more than bypassed the $99 Amazon prime fee in the savings of free shipping and convenience. Also Amazon has coupons! You can sometimes score free or almost free things without even having to clip a coupon or leave home. I have cat litter and cat food delivered to my door, and the price point is just as good if not better than Walmart. No heavy lifting, no drive to the store, no road rage or aisle rage! :)

It is worth every penny to me!

12. Wace

WaceNew Member

Threads:
    I love Amazon Prime! It is absolutely worth the annual fee. Not only do you save on shipping costs, but Amazon appears to reserve some products that are on sale for just Prime members. I saved more than the cost of the annual fee, just on one shopping spree. There are also other benefits to consider. You can save on videos and books as well! Amazon makes some movies available to prime members free of charge! There are a few online companies that are truly worthy of good reviews. I've had good luck with Amazon over the years, but the prime membership is truly awesome! I give it two thumbs up!!

13. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely. We held off because we weren't really buying much, but then last Xmas rolled around and we did the trial and spent shipping on some items off of Amazon. then as the trial was running out we realized items were much more economic than in stores around here. We went ahead and took the risk. So far we are happy with it. We didnt buy much before because of shipping but since we have the Prime now we are buying more online especially those items that we can't find around here. If you buy online twice a month? Definitely go for the Prime.

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely I think that you should get Amazon Prime if you make many little purchases. I'm not sure if this qualifies else where, on Amazon.ca you get free shipping on orders over $25, but if you do have this advantage as well, then just sticking to the $25 wouldn't be bad either. I love the 2-day shipping as well, but I've noticed that even my items come within a day or 2 even when I'm not a prime member. It really depends on your spending habits ^.^'

15. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    I held out for a long time, because I hated the idea of spending money to potentially save money. I never paid for shipping before anyway, because I would make myself hold the order until we hit the free shipping threshold.

That being said, since we took the plunge, I have really enjoyed the fast delivery times - it has saved my bacon on a couple occasions when I didn't have a specific gift bought in advance of an occasion. They also have some great deals, and a Prime membership grants you a free "Amazon Mom" membership - meaning a hefty discount on diapers.

16. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    Yes, I think it would be a good investment to become an Amazon prime member. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, and sadly I have not even signed up as one. I think its great, because you are offered the free shipping, a long with renting movies for a small fee to zero. I believe you can also rent books for free as well, I am not certain. I had went through the free trial period about two years ago when I had purchased the Kindle. I took advantage of the free shipping. At the time I believe I could purchase for $59.00, because they were running a special. I told myself next time they have a special, I will definitely join. I really need to because I buy a lot of items from them.

17. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I did the free trial simply so that I could some free shipping on some items I bought. But I realised during the trial that it wasn't worth signing up full time for it. Maybe that's because I'm more of a casual online shopper rather than a regular one. If I shifted my shopping habits then I would certainly consider signing up for it properly.

18. felielizab

felielizabMember

Threads:
    The way I see it, I more than make up for the $99 annual membership fee throughout the year. With just the free shipping alone, I make up for the membership. I order a lot from Amazon so this works out for me. However, if you are just a casual shopper and don't shop at Amazon often, then I don't think Prime would be a good fit for you.

19. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    If the issue is shipping price I suggest you do what I did. Actually look up your last 12 months of orders and determine the shipping costs. Mutiply by 0.8 to account for about 20% f items not being available in Prime. If, as for me, you find the amount you are paying for shipping is more than the cost of Prime, go for it.

As a bonus if you get your reviewer rating under about #5000 vendors will start offering you free products in exchange for an honest review. With a 100% coupon and free prime shipping all of these sample products come to you completely free!

20. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would, especially if you live in s small town where you have few stores that don't require a lot of gas to get too, and your library system doesn't have a lot. Amazon prime allows me to use gift cards I earn via Mpoints, Swagbucks and some other sites to buy things I need without having to spend 45 minutes on s bus to get to the store and pay for the bus fare. I do not have TV, so prime provides me with movies and shows I can watch when I feel like it.