Would You Spend More Money To Have A Longer Charging Cable?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by cocolgooh • Jun 20, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've been considering getting a longer charging cable for my iPad because the nearest plug to any chairs in the room I'm usually in when the iPad conveniently runs out of charge are too far away to continue using the iPad while it's charging. This is fine if I have the laptop out as well as I can charge it from that too, but if I don't it's just a bit of a pain. I was considering therefore buying a longer charging cable, but it feels like this is a bit of a waste of money when I already have a perfectly functioning cable that's just a bit short! On top of this, a brand new one the length I have already would only cost me £1, whereas a longer one, the cheapest I've seen those is £14.99, which is obviously considerably more money.

What would you do in this situation? Would you buy the longer cable for convenience or stick with the perfectly functioning shorter one that's a bit inconvenient to use?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe I haven't quite understood what you are meaning - but to me - the cheapest and most obvious solution would be to use one of those 2 or 3 way socket extensions - especially as - not only are they extremely inexpensive and can be removed when you've finished using them - but am sure it would come in handy for plugging in other devices or appliances that you wanted to use in areas where the mains socket is further away than the cable on the device will reach.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy anything new personally, unless there was no way around it. I lost my charging cable to my new kindle, but since I already had a charging cable from my old kindle, I charged the new one with that cable, as it fits perfectly. I also like it better, since the cord is longer. The cable that came with the Kindle Fire is a bit too short for my liking.

4. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    I like using a 6ft cable at my desk, and other places where I would want to use my phone while I charge it. I tend to bringa 1-3ft cable with me when I travel because they're less likely to get all tangled. I will plug these cables into my laptop or my external battery, opposed to a wall outlet, if I'm looking to use my phone while I'm charging it on the go.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have spent money to buy a longing cord for my laptop. I am willing to pay a little extra for the convenience. I like to work at the library or coffee shops. Having a long cord opens up more options for me. It's not always possible to get a table or desk right next to an outlet.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would pay the extra cost for the convenience since it's not something I have to pay for over and over anyway and it's something I'll be able to use for presumably a very long time. I'd just only pay that much extra if I was sure the quality was very high and I knew that it would indeed last me a very long time. Otherwise I'd just go with the cheaper cable and put up with it because to me that would be the more worthy option of the two if the longer one was weak. For the most part though I think it's worth it if it ends up giving you less stress than a shorter cable because your health and peace of mind is worth much more than just a few extra dollars.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! I definitely would pay more money to have a larger charging cable. This is one of the most annoying problem I encounter. It seems like my charging cable is always too short to reach the outlet and for me to sit somewhere where I can be comfortable while I'm using it. It always seems like it's just out of reach no matter where I am, at home or traveling on the road. It's a minor annoyance, but annoyance nonetheless. I'm really going to have to invest in a larger charging chord.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Yes!!! I would pay for a longer charging cable for my laptop and for my phone. You always feel tied to the wall when charging! It is so annoying. I would also pay for a way to plug my laptop to an outlet, but turn it off and stop it from sucking energy when my laptop isn't in use.

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    These days, I have a USB cable for every occasion. A shorty for the car, a long (6ft) one that no longer works with my Kindle, and many others in different colors. I do this now because I have a charging station at home but also they work different with each device I own.

10. cecejailer

cecejailerMember

Threads:
    Yes, absolutely, that's why I only buy original chargers now. I used to buy cheap ones but after 3 months they'd go to waste. Ever since I bought an original Samsung charger I've never had a problem with it again. I think buying a charger is really different from buying earphones, for instance. Earphones are really cheap and you can get them for free. Chargers are expensive and buying cheap ones can really ruin your phone.

11. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I've spent money on longer cords. I have also spent money on longer lasting batteries. I like the electronics to work well. If you are gonna spend money on electronics, I think you should not hesitate get what you need for peak performance of those electronics. Electronics are so powerful and when you have the equipment you need, they are really pleasant to use.

12. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The only reason you should get a longer cable is for if you actually need one. Like if you are in bed and the wall/adapter is far off and you feel like getting up. Though, at the same time if the quality of the longer cable is terrible than what is the point of owning one? You have to take in the fact that if you simply just need it for charging and don't have the money. Then paying $1-$2 every few months is not that big of a deal.

13. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    Yes, I definitely would. Speaking from experience, owning a long charging cable is such a bliss and is much more comfortable as it allows to sit wherever you feel like without feeling out of place. I once bought a 2 meter (6.5 feet) charging cable for my iPhone, and was able to sit on the couch while using it. Bliss

14. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    No, I always buy the proper longer cable or an extension alongside my electronic device. Or I just buy a wireless charger if the cable issue is too
    bothersome. Maybe you ought to check out the witricity advances in that
    field and how many modern products are implementing this technology.

15. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    To be honest I bought a longer cable to charge my devices a few months ago and I don't regret it! The iPad charging cable is too short for my needs and it's really troublesome when I'm not at my place: with my longer cable I can charge it easily everywhere.

I understand that £14.99 is quite a lot, but the benefits are huge. Have you tried checking Ebay or Amazon and your local store? I've seen online many long and cheap cables for iPad, but maybe it depends on your model. The cable I bought was on sale at a local store and I paid it almost half the price.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a habit of lying down while checking out my phone as it charges. I don't use it for long while it's charging because that's not healthy. Still, it's convenient when you can drag the phone with you anywhere so that when there's an incoming message or you need to quickly browse some information, the gadget's always within reach. I wouldn't mind spending money for a longer charging cable. If it lets me get my work done, then by all means let's buy it.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I will spend more, but I think I would go for an extension cord, since the long ones are only $12, so if the original cable is more expensive than that then I will go for the extension cord.

#17Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought my original Apple cable maybe a month ago, after I lost my old one. I did think about getting the longer one, however it is so much more expensive than the other one that I did not think it was worth it. Maybe if it was five bucks more, I would invest. But that's not the case, at least with Apple original cables.

19. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I think instead of going for a longer cable you can buy a power bank because that will be more convenient for you to carry around if you are using your iPad for a longer time. If you could buy one power bank you can use that for your smartphone as well. :)

20. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    I prefer getting an additional long charging cable. I would put one at home and the longer one would be in my backpack so I can take it to office or meetings. I prefer going for the original one since I need the cable to work well and provide optimum charging time using the Dash power charging feature.