Would you trust a $120 desktop computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by beccagreen • Aug 19, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    So the other day I was driving around our neighborhood and I saw a local electronics shop post a sign that says "Dual Core Desktop Computer - All In. Just $120" and I became curious so I went to check it out and indeed the computer was legit and it's working and it looks to be in good condition it looks brand new even. The specs are kind of cool too, I think it was an AMD CPU with an Nvidia card not sure what model though and a generous 4 GB's of RAM. I was tempted to purchase one but I luckily I don't need to buy a new computer but would you trust a computer that clocks in at $120?

2. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    With today being 2014, computers have become alot more affordable. For 120$ I would suspect the computer to be low in specs and features. Anyhow, if it can perform the specific task and get decent internet speed, then I'd say it's worth a shot.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had a $180 computer that lasted 10 years and a $200 computer that I bought 3 months ago, so I would be okay with a $120 computer as long as it had internet access. I don't play computer games, so I don't require a fast computer. As long as I can use my computer to list on eBay, it doesn't have to be top of the line.

4. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, the hardware components of most modern computers are way ahead of what the software is currently capable of. You can use hardware from a few years back and have a reasonably sound experience. The obvious exceptions are heavy gamers, multi-taskers, and streaming HD movies. That said, $120 is a good price point for an everyday computer.

5. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I would certainly trust a computer that cheap. Considering the cost of computers these days, that's a good deal. Independent local computer shops almost always sell computers for a fraction of the cost at Big Box stores, and you sure are not going to get scammed.

also has some really good cheap laptops.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually the last computer I bought [used] cost about $140. That was like 6 years ago. And the computer hasn't died yet. It's low on specs but I can use it to browse the net which is probably what I use the computer for anyway. A $120 PC, like everyone else says is OK for doing basic tasks. It wouldn't do much for you if you want to use it for some 'heavy' stuff.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    It's cheap because the components are low end by today's standards. And being low end means the price is very very good, like you just noticed. For light usage like browsing the net, watching clips or movies this seems like a great PC. In the end, how much time a computer lasts depends not on the price but on how lucky you get with the parts. You can buy a 1000$ graphics card from NVidia and still have the chance of it burning.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Not only are they a lot more affordable, but desktops are slowly starting to become less popular than laptops, tablets and smartphones. I would bite your hand off if you offered a desktop computer to me for $120, I still use one for work when my grandson wants to play games on my laptop.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I know computers have become affordable but I have never heard of a computer being that affordable! I would be a bit leery of a computer being that low honestly but I would be tempted to buy it. But before I did I would do my research on it first to see if it was a decent buy.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    You can build a really nice effective computer for $400-$500 these days that will fufill most things you want to do on the internet. So I would just save up that $120 and invest it in a much better computer, unless you need a computer right away. Big purchases like computers are soemthing I don't skimp on quality for because I keep those products for at least 2 years. It'd just be frustrating dealing with an inferior product for that period of time.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would trust it. I think it is already a somewhat average price nowadays for a computer without the monitor and keyboard. If it included the extras I would be a bit more skeptical but nonetheless I think it would at least be good enough for just browsing online and watching a few videos and other simple tasks.

12. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Looks brand new" and brand new are two different things. You are not sure if the computer is brand new or not. There's a great chance that the computer is not brand new. 4GB of ram is cool though. Still, you need to test it before buying it. If it's fast and efficient, and you'll be using it, then go and purchase it. If you're just purchasing it because it's cheap but you really don't have any use for it, then don't buy it. Go with the advice of @Thejamal. Save your money and use it to purchase something much better. Like the

. :D

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would need a bit more details on the computer first. The AMD CPU is why the computer is cheap. It's not as fast as an Intel processor. I really would need to know if it has a wireless modem and is upgradeable. If it does have a wireless modem, then it would be good for a low end computer.

14. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Well computers these days are fairly cheap. But I would say either that computer is refurbished, preowned or stolen. Or maybe it has some hidden defects who knows. But if I we're you I would just build my own PC and try to find a better bargain for the parts.

15. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's cheaper now compared to a few years ago and no the computer is pretty good in terms of specs. It's got an AMD E350 CPU I forgot the numbers specifically, an Nvidia card, which I think is a GT620 or something, I think it's 2GB's. When I asked for the computer they let me try it out and they let me play Assassin's Creed IV on it and it was pretty damn good. But I'm not $120 will last for more than 2 years.

#15Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  16. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well the PC has an AMD E-350 CPU and an Nvidia, I think it's a 2GB GT620 card not sure exactly. Yeah I've heard that AMD CPU's aren't as good as Intel but in your honest opinion, do you think AMD CPU's are a bang for the buck? I'm not sure if it has a wireless modem though, I completely forgot to ask since I'm not really going to purchase it.

17. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah, honestly, I would definitely trust a $120 computer. Of course, the components you are getting side are going to be outdated, but if all you are really going to be using it for is checking email and browsing the web, then a $120 is just fine for that job. The only thing you want to keep in mind is that it probably doesn't have a whole lot of RAM, so you will experience a lot of stuttering if you open up multiple videos on YouTube all at once. And since the hard drive is old, you are liable to lose all your data unexpectedly one day, so always be sure and make backup of important documents.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I would trust a computer that cheap, since pc's have become a whole lot affordable these days, just like most cellphones nowadays that have become cheap and affordable over time. $120 for a whole pc set is typical for a 2nd hand desktop pc since I browse through 2nd hand desktop sets too, and I see them in the same price range.

19. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    As long as it wasn't going to be for anything too power hungry then yes. Most computer shops give you a warranty on setups like that and even if something does go wrong later they will fix it for you for pretty cheap. I used to work at one of those stores. Trust me IT geeks like fixing computers just for the sake of doing it. They have been doing it since they were kids most likely lol.

20. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    You get what you pay for. If I were you, I would definitely try to get a bit more money to spend on a better computer that would last for a longer time. The specs you provided aren't bad, but the processor looks terrible to me. Can you buy it, test it at home for a week or two and then return it if you don't like it? This would be the best option for you. Again, it might be perfectly fine if you will only use it for checking the internet. But I still would trust it if I were you.