Would you trust the Apple fingerprint scanner instead of a PIN?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by saveraddict • Sep 19, 2013.

1. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    I remember this old Mythbusters show where they tested several fingerprint scanners and were able to beat them all. There were scanners in computers, locks and so on, but they could construct fake fingerprints to fool them, sometimes just with a simple photocopy of the fingerprint, other times with material that was more like skin.

So would you trust the scanner to unlock your valuable information, or authorize spending to iTunes for you? I mean if anyone steals the phone and defeats the scanner, they have your information, and effectively a license to steal from you.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think any of these security features can be hacked if the robber wants it bad enough. Personally, both are equally as safe in my opinion, but I'd still rather just have the PIN, since I've never really found it much of a hassle to remember a code enough for me to feel like I need to change the method.

3. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't trust it! And I don't think it's necessary, not for me anyway. A PIN is just fine.

4. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I don't necessarily trust it, but I think it will be a cool feature and something quite technologically enhanced. Of course it could be 'hacked' but I don't think there looking too much into this; rather that it will be a cool new feature.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

No i'd rather keep an old fashion pin lol. I don't trust no finger scan I just like regular passwords and numbers. I don't even like pattern locks. For me I like to make very hard pins and passwords.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll never do it

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I missed that Mythbuster show, but it doesn't surprise me that they found ways around fingerprinting locks. Maybe they should also do a show on cracking PIN and password locks. If they did that though, I suppose it would just teach other people on how to do it so maybe that is not such a good idea after all.
    Well anyways, I don't have the new phone but if I did, I'd rather use a PIN or a password.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    While it's a nice thing to think about, i still am one of those that prefers something more analogical when it comes to security. Maybe in the future when the hardware is more reliable, but nowadays i think it's better to just go with the old PIN code.

9. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    The reason I wouldn't like it is, if you get oils or whatever on your fingers it might not read correctly. I have to get a background check every year and half the time it takes 2 or 3 times to get it to read my fingerprint correctly. How annoying if that happened when I wanted to use my phone!

10. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I still prefer the pin compare to the fingerprint scanner. I think the pin will work better.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess the reason why fingerprint scanners aren't popular yet is because they can easily be faked and manipulated, unlike PIN numbers where the info is safely stored inside your head, so to answer your question, I would still prefer the good old pin code.

12. webdesignsbyapw

webdesignsbyapwNew Member

Threads:
    This is one of the reasons why am not getting the iPhone 5. If somebody has your fingerprints, they can easily frame you for a crime – especially if they have information on you about where you live, work, and your full name. The scary part is that some people sell fingerprint to decals online where you can easily wrap them around your finger in the will stick. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to getting framed? I just don't understand it

13. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I too would much rather take an old fashioned pin number over a fingerprint scan any day. Whenever there are new features that look to good to be true, they usually are. Not because they aren't great features, but because they are in their early stages. It is usually hard or companies to correct their mistakes. Something I never exactly understood.