Would you want someone else's used engagement ring?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sthrngypsy • Nov 7, 2014.

1. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Would you like a used engagement ring? I was on eBay and saw a bunch. Personally I'd want a new one even if it were much more modest (you can save a lot buying used jewelry IF you know what you are doing). Would it bother you if your engagement ring came from someone else's broken engagement? I'm not taking about a family heirloom that is being passed down from generation to generation here. I'm talking specifically something that comes from Ebay, the pawn shop, Craigslist, etc.

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't mind having a used engagement ring. I'm not superstitious (but very practical) plus not all used engagement rings on pawnshops were there because of broken engagements right? Who knows, if the previous owner sold or pawned it because he/she badly needed the money to pay for hospital bills or something. :confused:

What I really don't like having is a used wedding ring. But if it's a good buy, I would still have it, have it melt down by a goldsmith to create a new one. :D

#2Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't understand why the women are included in the decision of getting the ring. I know that sounds crazy, but that should be one of the few things that a guy does on his own and not after she's badgered him into getting married. I would want to believe that I'm being asked because he's decided that I'm the one he wants and has gone so far to prove it by picking out the ring before asking. Now, if he truly knows me, he wouldn't get the ring at a pawn shop and he most certainly would not let me know, if he did.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the context. If I were a girl and that engagement ring that's given or offered to me a has a long historical context behind it like it was an heir and has been an engagement ring for generation, then I would really be glad to wear it and be proud to be part of the family of my boyfriend. But on the other hand, that ring is simply a second-hand one without any rich history of how it came to my boyfriend, say it was just bought for a very good price, cheap despite its quality, then I wouldn't be proud of wearing it. In fact, I would be disappointed with my boyfriend. Here's what's important for me: A ring should have a rich historical context if it were not new.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't believe how "practical" people have become these days. There's no way I'd auction/sell off my own engagement ring unless the person who gave it to me left me a string of awful memories or I badly need the money. Come to think of it, maybe some of those engagement rings were sold by women with a huge debt to pay or divorcees if not runaway or deceived brides who wanted to get rid of the bad memories.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not! I think a ring is a symbol of a new life and any bad karma attached to a broken relationship may linger on the ring. It may be different if it was an old person who died and the ring was sold, but even so I would not like it. I would rather have a cheaper ring that was new. To me it's not the cost but the thought behind the ring. If someone is more interested in carats then I would question that persons motives.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind this. My boyfriend and I actually looked at some of these on ebay and Craigslist. Well, I guess that I would be less inclined to get a used engagement ring if the story behind the ring is unhappy. Some of the rings we saw were being sold because the partners got new and better ones.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it would matter to me one bit. I do not think someone else's misfortune would affect my future at all. To me that is kind of superstitious, but I do understand why someone would not want to have a used one. If you were aware it was not brand new and it made you think about the previous person and what happened with them regularly that would not be pleasant.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's just metal and rocks, I don't see a problem with it at all. Especially if you can save some money going that route. Not sure how it's past will have any impact on someone's life lol. I'm not one for symbols anyway. My husband new I didn't want diamonds, they mean nothing. So had he gone ahead and done it anyway for whatever reason, I would hope he'd do something like that and got them much cheaper. Still too expensive in my opinion.. boggles my mind why people put such importance in rocks lol.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I personally would not want someone else's engagement ring. I suppose some families pass down engagement rings, but that doesn't interest me at all. I want my wedding and engagement to be something special and intimate to me only. When I do get engaged, I want it to be with a ring that I personally buy. Not one that is passed down from a family member or my fiance's family. I have nothing against others who do prefer that, though.

11. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    No. I would not want someone else's used engagement ring, unless it was from a family member. But, buying it from a complete stranger who has no ties to me, I would not be able to do this. I would like to know the history behind the ring and that would be difficult to know if I just bought it from a random person on Ebay.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind a used engagement ring if it was perfect for me, but I know it's impossible to find one because I have really fat fingers for a women. Even new rings would not fit and there's only so much you can alter it. I don't wear an engagement ring because it seems like such a waste of money with how tight our situation is, but the plan is that our wedding rings will be custom made.

13. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with it. The person could be selling it because of financial issues and if you don't buy it, it doesn't help them out. Besides... its a ring not toilet paper. It's not much different from buying items from a thrift store, it may be used but it still works.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the few things that I absolutely would NOT want to do secondhand....it's not so much superstition, I just don't think that's the proper way to go about things, and I'd much rather have a more modest, basic ring picked specifically for me brand new than a more "impressive" one that was from a broken engagement/marriage.

15. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There wouldn't be any problem with me to use a used engagement ring at all. The only thing I would prefer is that the ring is cleaned and sanitized before I receive it. It would also be nice if it didn't have any initials present that would make it less appealing.

16. semizeu33

semizeu33Banned

Threads:
    This stuff looks amazing!:)

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't have any problem with it at all, it's the thought that counts. But if he can really afford to buy a brand new one and yet he gave me a 2nd hand one, then we are gonna have problems with that. I don't want a stingy husband! Lol.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Same here. I'd much rather get a cheaper one as well as long as it's brand new. I'm very squeamish when it comes to second hand products and especially so if it's someone I wear and even more so if I have to wear it everyday. Also when it comes to things like this I dislike that I don't know the whole story of the product so I don't know what I'll be buying into, which is why if I were really trying to save I'd much rather just get a cheaper one instead.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No judgement, just an observation. All these people would rather know the story behind a ring.. but going to a store and not knowing the story behind it is fine? You are aware they don't just magically appear in those lovely display cases, all perfection and existing just for you, right? Do you know the story behind your diamonds when they're "not used"? because many people do and they either won't buy diamonds because of it or they find a more ethical option. Do you know the story behind all the products you buy? Are you ok with sweat shops etc? What about your homes.. I'd be much more nervous about the cooties or lack of story in a home than on a piece of metal.

The majority on these boards couldn't care less what they put in their bodies or where they buy anything, ethical or not.. but a used diamond ring is out of the question....

20. kaitmarie

kaitmarieBanned

Threads:
    I was included in buying the engagement ring. He knew from the moment he wanted to propose that A.) he had no clue what I would prefer and didn't want to mess up and B.) I was fine with anything he chose, including my choosing the ring. We went to Fred Meyer together, and I tried on 2 rings before he saw a ring that we both liked. In the end, it was a mutual decision on both the engagement and the ring. None of my family, friends, or anyone else that has curiously asked about the proposal thought that it was wrong for me to be included in the ring selection. We've been told it's very sweet that he wanted to make sure I got what I liked. I never badgered him and he chose to include me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the woman being included. What matters is the couple's happiness and their preferences.