Writers You Avoid

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Flowerpower • Mar 1, 2015.

1. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    There are writers who I read and said 'never again' because their style of writing does not appeal to me. One of them is Danielle Steel whose books I find really predictable and bland and James Patterson who is just not a good writer in my opinion.
    Which writers wont you read?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of the stuff I read will probably be unknown and not as popular. But the author that definitely comes to mind is Danielle Steele. I hate her material, yet it's so popular, with my mum being a fan. Ages ago, I read one of her books, and I hated it because it was way too morose for my liking. I persevered and gave another one of her books a try, but it was still too depressing for my tastes. I just don't like her writing style at all.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that you mention Danielle Steele I think that's one writer whose book I won't touch again. Other writers whose books I won't read:

Stephanie who? The lady who wrote the Twilight books. She just isn't that great a writer.

Lee Child.

Chuck Palahniuk. Thinks he's one of the greatest but falls short.

Dan Brown. One of the worst writers . . .

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't generally avoid writers, because I'm a wide-reader and I would love to read and experience a lot of books. However, there are some authors whom I really hate because their books are somehow just looking for fame or kind of leading towards "mainstream." These writers include Becca Fitzpatrick and the woman who wrote Fifty Shades of Grey, and also those other authors who have already adapted "erotic elements" in their works because it's quite popular now.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I likewise dislike E.L. James' writing style so although I read the first few lines of Fifty Shades of Grey, I dropped the book immediately after that. It's so monotonous. There's no rhythm whatsoever and unless you're really into kinky stuff and that's the sole reason why you read it, this book won't enthral you.

6. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    Danielle Steele would top my list of writers to avoid.Its hard to believe she is so popular. Another one is Stephen King but not because he isn't a good writer because he is. I find his books too graphic and they scare the heck out of me..lol

7. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    EL James wrote that story originally as a Twilight FanFiction. Those of us who saw it back then can assure you that it changed little to become the published book. The author apparently does not take suggestions well and didn't like working with the editors. The books seem pretty much standard for me compared to fanfiction but they're seriously sub-par for real published books. I can't believe they did as well as they have been doing but I am NOT impressed.

And the kinky stuff is NOT very good in the book. There's a lot that is a poor portrayal of how BDSM relationships really work and some stuff that's downright dangerous. Many people really into kinky stuff that know what they're talking about weren't interested or were even a little outraged by the book.

I think the readers who are attracted to the kinky stuff in this book are likely interested but not actually experienced. It's all in erotic stories or daydreams for them. There are a lot more of those than people who have experience so that may explain the popularity of the book.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right on the money. When I went to the cinema last month to watch the movie, I saw that most of the moviegoers were teenage girls or university students - obviously an inexperienced demographic. Having read a number of erotica novels written by the best authors of this genre (Need I mention Marquis de Sade?), I clearly understood why the book became popular. Not only are there more teenagers and university students around the world, real BDSM and erotica will scare away the inexperienced lot. So Fifty Shades makes for a better deal. It's comparably bland and fictional compared to the real thing.

9. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    Authors are like musicians, the more popular they are, the more predictable their work seems to be. Since I'm one who doesn't like the predictable anymore, when I go to a bookstore to look for something new I will go as far away from the main aisle as possible. The new books that take the longest to find in a conventional book store are usually worth it.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe @Denis Hard, it's funny you should mention Dan Brown because in as much as he's often lauded as one of the best authors of our time, I've just as equally heard a lot of people write him off....excuse the pun LOL I have yet to read any of his material, but part of the reason I've held off is because of the negative reviews.

11. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    Wow I am surprised by these responses, I guess I enjoy an easy read and a typical plot. :) I do read just about anything except extreme Syfi and Horror. Especially horror or odd happens involving children. For some reason Steven King is the only writer that comes to mind when I'm asked who I don't read. I just don't want the nightmares.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go out of my way to avoid any particular author, though I do go out of my way to avoid particular genres, which authors do tend to stay within one genre unless they have more than one book series in different genres. I don't like sci fi books, because they are usually lacking in good plot, and are boring as all hell. I don't like heterosexual romance books either. Boring snorefest.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I avoid Stephen King because his books give me nightmares. The storyline of Danielle Steele is also not to my liking.

14. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Stephenie Meyer. I bought the first Twilight book for my girlfriend as a joke one year, knowing she would hate the thing, and then as penance I forced myself to read it. I figure if I'm going to dislike something I need to actually, you know, experience it first. That book was terrible. Noooo thank you.

By proxy, I'm not going to be reading any of E.L. James' stuff, if it's based on Twilight. Yes, I know that conflicts with what I just said, but... no. Not happening. I'll save my money for authors who are more tried and true, thanks.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am getting really tired of Stephen King,, but I think that I want to read the Gunslinger and the Darktower before I completely quit him. Any other author, I think I am open to. I have no desire to read twilight, cuz I saw the movies...and I just don't think it is necesary.