Writing For Online Content Companies

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by jneanz • Sep 2, 2015.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I love what I do, even when I'm not paid much but I do have my limits. Before I went back to college, I refused to write anything for a dollar or less (in some countries, a buck goes a little ways). I also created an online portfolio so there would be no need for an unpaid "sample".

Recently, I went through a list of companies and found some to be a little demanding or they were at capacity. Anyway, one company I applied with was interested but they not only wanted a 600-word sample but wanted for me to fill out a questionnaire that bordered on rude.

They requested a copy of my diploma or degree, wanted to know my age, and wanted a quick turnaround on the unpaid sample. I've been at this long enough to realize that many of these places don't have staying power like Ford, Microsoft, or Xerox, so why should I send them my life story when they may be history in the next 5-10 years.

Thoughts?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have several invitations from some websites for articles about a particular product or anything that they want to commission me. One site is offering $5 for a 400-word article. It is a good deal but I'm afraid that I may not deliver on time because I have an offline job and my online roaming is only when I have a spare time. Maybe when I retire from my job, I would take a full time writing job that would earn me good money.

3. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    You make a good point. However, I think it would be a big mistake to dismiss new companies based on their strictness alone. Most startups today are strict because they want a certain level of quality in the content they or their staff creates. And I think it’s a bit unfair to compare content companies with the likes of Zerox, Microsoft and Ford.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am also cautious about giving out real life information online, especially to companies that appear somewhat suspect. I haven't shared my degrees with any company, and frankly, I wouldn't be prepared to answer intrusive questions or provide that information (or much personal information) to a company that is paying pennies.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    F
    Forgot to mention that the 600 word sample was unpaid. You have to give something to expect quality.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's like applying for a job each time which is why it does take time and effort. They have so many people spinning articles and using translators I imagine it's hard. I imagine they are trying to narrow down the pool of people by asking a degree, but let's face it people can get online degrees these days which doesn't prove very much. Even degrees alone don't indicate intelligence only that you can pass exams.

I would not invest so much time into something unless it was to be a career or a regular gig, because content mills don't pay well and your work never has your name on it, so when you go elsewhere you can't really say what you have done or written.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also very wary about giving out so much information about myself. I think it's ridiculous when you think the earnings aren't even that good. Maybe I'd change my mind if i were being offered some decent money. But when it's the usual peanuts that we've become accustomed to, I'm happy to let it go. I'm not as keen as I once was to get into writing anymore because a lot of sites are a joke!

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, @Lushlala@Lushlala I haven't really pursued it myself for the same reason. I refuse to pimp myself out for pennies, and as @Theo@Theo mentioned, not even get credit for it. The issue, in my opinion, is the scammers and posers, but there's not much we can do. The onus is on the companies to screen out the bad writers and scammers, but from what I've seen online, they're not doing a great job of that. Without better screening and pay, they will end up with only the dregs, as most of us will go elsewhere.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's such a shame, isn't it, DianeLane? Because what this has led to is that most of the genuinely interested, potentially good writers have decided enough is enough and left in their droves. I look around and I see more of the same types of writing sites as the ones that recently sank without a trace, they still continue to mushroom all over the place! I just feel that if I continue with them, there'll be more frustrations and tears. Plus as you ladies pointed out, the money isn't even worth it. For the pennies you get in return for all those hours spent toiling on those articles, you may as well work on other non-writing sites for the same return!

10. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone remember Associated Content/Yahoo Contributor Network/Yahoo Voices? I'm sure I left out a name, lol, but the joke was on me because I dealt with them through all their changes. I went to the writers academy they offered and eventually bought the Yahoo style guide. The result was I survived the first few times they cleaned house
    But now that's its all over for most contributors who were there from the beginning, it sucks to visit Yahoo now. Some articles are entertaining but anyone who knows the subject well or is good with language mechanics can tell due diligence was not utilized about 90% of the time.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be very careful to give out personal information in this age if IDTheft. Writing the article to prove you can provide the requested final product should be enough. Your degrees and family history is above and beyond.

12. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    If a company is going to pay you they need your name, address, and tax ID--that is just a law. I would trust a company that did not ask for those things less than one who did. And as for the sample being unpaid, so long as it did not need to be a fresh, unique sample--no problem. Most writers have clips to use for that purpose. Basically you need to check a company out before applying. A good company may have every reason for being selective and having a somewhat demanding application process.

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Penny, there are some companies who get their bread and butter from 500+ word samples submitted by people all over the world who visit the seemingly legitimate website. Writers may take their research further by asking in forums and requesting honest feedback. I have a blog that gives details on the good and bad, along with developments like mergers, closures, etc. So when I get a new list, it's about 50% positive in terms of overall experience.

Also, read again. I've been at this for a while so I know legal documents are needed to get paid and I have websites where anyone can see my work, along with client feedback.

14. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes of course there are scams. That's why you research the company before you apply to them. But suggesting that any company who wants a sample or wants your personal info for the IRS is a scam is in fact cutting you off from the legit companies who all do this. A company who wants a free sample may be good or may be bad, a company who will hire you under a pseudonym with no tax number and not proof of your abilities, that will most of then be a place that pays pennies at best, dodges taxes, and is a huge waste of a good writer's time.

15. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    You should keep your options and don't automatically discount a site because of the application process. The only sites I am wary of are the ones that make you typed out articles in a timed fashion, meaning you get X hours to produce and submit the work. There are some articles I can pump out in no time, but others I like to take my time with.

16. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Two ways :
    1.Write a good article especially for every sample inquiry,so it doesn't matter if unpaid
    2.Ask for a cost more or less for each new sample,cause some guys try to save money by asking for free sample work from different freelance writers..

For me,I won't write real life story for others,only if post on my own blog..

17. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    Hello, Can you write on Photoshop tips and tricks? The content would be like article/tutorial type. We are for someone who is expert in Photoshop and can write content on this.

18. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a website or URL people can check out? I'm familiar with Adobe CS but there may be someone who is proficient and will welcome the opportunity. If you pay or give a byline, I'm sure you will get someone soon.

19. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    Yes we do have the website. I dont know its allowed or not to give website URL here!

20. Glcameron

GlcameronNew Member

Threads:
    I think you really need to sit down and take a look at how much you really think you are content is worth. There a lot of people who will write for sites that pay less than $5 and that's fine if you want to do something in the interim from you working with a better clients but I don't think anyone should write for anything less than $15 an hour. If you're from a different country and its a particular country that's not allowed to register for a website you may think about going into a partnership with someone and going from there with that there are a lot of ways to gain clients and look at yourself to the point where someone to court on one to work with you and pay you what you need to have but you're not going to be able to do pitches to magazines and things of that nature I miss you and have an online portfolio. The longer you written the better quality you've written the money you're going to be offering but you really need to go to the processor for the sitting down and thinking about which about what want to be known for or what particular type of work you be more interested in working with. If you like a list of a few sites just inbox me and I can give you a few links because up here I think links are allowed.