Year In Music

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by May102014 • Oct 21, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    What do you think about the year in music thus far? I'm looking for your input because I can't begin to tell you what is hot and what is not. I have heard some tunes from Beyonce, Sam Smith, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry and etc. I heard these tunes through my students when they are playing songs on their phones or whatever device during their free time at the community center when I am employed. Call me an old lady (I'm 28) but I bought the new album by Barbara Streisand yesterday and loved it. Perhaps I am an old soul. I don't know.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sucked just like it always has the past few years. The only redeeming thing for me personally is Nick Jonas has new music but that's just me being partially biased.
    You might be an old soul but we all have our different tastes.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're not that old. I'm turning 27 this year so we're about the same age. My job affords me some time to listen to all sorts of music without having to neglect my professional duties. So far, from what I've heard, there's a little bit of everything this year. From the really awful ones (Anaconda, Booty, need I say more?) to the really empowering and psychedelic beats. My favorites include All that Bass by Meighan Trainor (lyrics are less crass and generally fun and creative), Best Day of My Life by American Authors (it's got a great tune and inspiring lyrics) and of course, Let Me In by Group Love (OST of the movie The Fault in our Stars). Just ignore the usual pop songs. They won't do justice to music.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mainstream pop and rap has been a trainwreck this year. Part terrible, and part unremarkable, 2014 was not a good music year. Although, while the mainstream fails to appeal to me, EDM this year has been absolutely amazing. Artists such as Duke Dumont, Porter Robinson, Kaskade, Basement Jaxx, BT, and other have brought their A game with their current/new albums. I am really impressed with the EDM crowd this year.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Most music this year, tanked in quality and likability. I'm 28 and I prefer listening to anything that is top 40 in any genre of music, unless I personally find the songs myself and do enjoy listening to it. Most of these singles and albums nowadays, are commercialize dribble and repeated chords attuned with different melodies - it's like hearing a train-wreck over and over, but with different audible screams right before the crash occurs, very annoying. I was not surprised when I read a recent article expressing the fact that there was no platinum songs for the Billboard Charts this year, and possibly will not be any at all; this verifies to me two things, that people are not willing to buy the rubbish being put out or that people are simply investing their hard-earn money for more valuable things.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Year in music? Nonexistent. Music has gone to almost absolute street fifth, with very few exceptions that sometimes tone down how bad music as a whole today really is. I'm not quite interested in what many of the pop and rap artists are doing and much of it is either nonsensical or does nothing but spew negativity to the young generation. Seriously, how did the generations decay so bad to let such music pass as standard? I'd rather listen to older music from the 80's and 90's any day over what is out now. It's so much more lyrically sound, conscious and powerful, not to mention offers strong vocal talent over autotune.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, a year that I just really liked music and there were a lot of good songs (to me) was 1984. Prince, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Michel Jackson, Duran Duran, The Police, The Eurhythmics, Tears for fears, and several other people came out with some great and iconic songs of the 80's. That was just a really good year with very well-know songs.