Yellow Squash Recipes?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Apr 22, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've always liked yellow squash par-boiled and then fried up in a cast iron skillet with a fair amount of onions in it and just a bit of bacon grease (I know. I know. Nobody does that anymore. Bad. Bad. Bad.)

Occasionally I'll make a little cheese sauce to add to it when it's done. I like it plenty fine without though and usually don't add it unless my step son is coming over. (His preference is for a cheese casserole with a little bit of squash in it.)

I also like it sliced, breaded and fried, but not as well as the other way.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yellow squash tastes wonderful in combination with seaweed. I like to combine the squash with wakame and eat it with steamed brown rice and baked tofu. The seaweed gives the dish a salty and exotic flavor. To me it tastes absolutely delicious. :)

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a tough time cooking with yellow squash and zucchini, both are pretty delicate and can become mushy too easily, and they are also a bit on the expensive side at my local grocery stores. I often prefer to simply grill them, basted with a blend of vegetable oil and some soy sauce, just to warm them through, and give them some color and flavor.

I really dislike the already chopped and frozen variety though because it's so mushy when you reheat it, it never looks very appetizing to me.

I also sometimes like to make "roll ups" with the squash when it's big enough. I will grill them as mentioned above to soften them, then roll them up with a cheese mixture (Alouette herbed cheeses work great!), and maybe top them with some buttered bread crumbs in a baking dish to heat them through and make the top toasty.