Yerdle - The Unshopping App

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by SweetMamaKaty • Jul 2, 2015.

1. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:

is a company you may or may not have heard of. It's a swap of sorts, where people can post pictures of items they have available, and other people "buy" them with points. There are dollar values (adjusted for trade value) attached to everything, but no money changes hands. A big aspect of Yerdle is the fact that you're recycling in a way - giving your items to someone else rather than throwing them away, and choosing items that you need from what others are willing to give.

It's great for so many reasons, and so many types of people. Thrifty people can get the items they need, de-cluttering people (that's a type of person, right? ;) ) can clear out their houses, shopaholics can keep the stuff coming (and going!)

They pride themselves in being a movement - check out the Unshopping Challenge!

If you're interested in doing some Unshopping of your own,

. If you sign up with your email address (not Facebook or Twitter), they will give you an extra $10 credit. And join the Unshopping Challenge for free shipping on one order. Then get your friends and family on board, for an extra $10 credit per person who joins with your link.

Here's the best description of

, straight from the source.

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, not sure about this type of apps because many times those sites are time consuming, require that you join sites using your credit card or some other strings that make more costly the benefit that if we would simply buy it directly.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, especially since you included a referral link. First off, you have to earn credits by giving things away or doing tasks, which makes this akin to a PTC site. That means that you're spending far more time and effort to get points than what you'll receive back in items redeemed. Yerdle profits the most in this situation. Even though the service is "free", you won't feel that way with how much time goes into accruing points. I'll take a pass on this one, as should everyone else.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This site does sound like it is a good way to use up some time if you have nothing else to do. The idea to pass on your items to someone that can use them is always a good idea but I think I will stay local and continue to give my items to the goodwill.

5. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wow, I didn't mean to make this company appear spammy at all! Users are welcome not to join via a referral link, and will still get a start up credit of some level I believe. They're trying to encourage people to get started using it. I don't know of any tasks required, as far as I know it's just listing items to give. I participate in other online swaps, so to me it's just that - only then I have to pay to ship the items, where in this case the company foots the bill and charges the buyer. The only time invested is taking a few photos and writing a brief description. It's much easier than eBay too, and no fees are taken.

I like the idea that I can get rid of unneeded items around the house, and get things we do need for "free"! I have started using it, and have shipped some toys already. I will receive a gps and funky candle holder I had to have. :)

There is a lot of behind the scenes thought process regarding recycling and living a more streamlined life, though I will of course continue to donate to Salvation Army and Goodwill too. To each his own, and I do apologize if I came on too strongly in favor of it in my excitement.

6. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I have signed up for this recently, and I feel it is a cool new idea for swapping stuff too! As a seller, it's way easier to use than ebay because all you have to do is pick one of 3 sizes of shipping or local pick-up, there are no fees to post your items, and you don't pay any fees if someone purchases your item. The only person that pays is the buyer, and they only pay for shipping the item, which is only $4-$6 depending on the size.

I don't have a device that is compatible with the app, so I just use the web version and am still enjoying it. There are some improvements I think they could make with sorting and searching features, but I have gotten a few really useful things off of there that I had been wanting to get, plus I've been able to pass on a few things that I was unsuccessful trying to sell on ebay in the past.

It might not be for everyone, but it is not a scam at all, just a new way to trade items. Yes, yerdle probably makes some money in there somewhere, but they're providing the platform for their users to get rid of things and get things they need, plus, that's the point of businesses, to make money=) If I feel I am getting something of value in the process, I think it has benefit for me to use their site.