You could save a little money with this

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Apr 21, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you like reading, drawing, writing — anything that requires a lot of light, chances are you may be using your lights more than is necessary.

An easy way to save money on electric bills would be to transfer your working materials, desks, etc to a room that's next to a large window and use that light whatever it is you do rather than working in a dark room and depend on bulbs as your primary light source.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's a good idea!

Also, instead of using an overhead light that lights the whole room, using a small lamp on the nightstand, etc, is a lot better option.

Kindles, Nooks, etc, are also nice options specifically for those who like reading. It's minimal energy to charge them and they usually are backlit on their own so that no additional lightsource is needed!

3. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Not to mention that they usually last for a month on a single charge!

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Alternatively, you could do your reading, writing, desk stuff at the public library. My library has great lighting, big study tables, WiFi and central air conditioning. I know a middle aged couple that doesn't even pay for internet at home. They just sit all day and use the library's WiFi until the library closes.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea. When I do my stuff that requires light, I just go outside my porch and just do my thing there, provided that you have a peaceful enough environment to live in, I always find that I'm more productive working outside than working inside a confined space surrounded by walls.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what I was exactly thinking, you can just simply go outside of your house if it's not well lit inside your house during day time to do your thing as compared to turning on the lights in your house, especially if the surroundings are peaceful and safe. I would actually do that.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's a thought. Although, most creative people are very aware of the light and naturally gravitate towards the brightest place in their home. Perhaps another thought would be to curtail one's activities to daylight hours whenever possible. I often find myself sitting in my workspace until late at night, completely oblivious to the time. And that chews up a lot of electricity.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    That's an interesting idea. I never thought of it as a way to save money on electricity. I think the idea of going to the library to do a lot of things is very clever, but something I would only put in practice if I was on a very tight budget because I like the convenience of being at home when I do things online and or read.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree and I try to do this as much as possible as well. I actually prefer sunlight to artificial light for when I am drawing so I've moved my desk next to the window. The only problem is that I had to move my computer along with it and that part I don't like mixing with sunlight as much. It is the more practical choice for me now though since I don't have much room but he fully when I move I'll be able to have more space to keep the two areas separate.

10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have done this before. Using the natural light of the sun to get work done. And if someone is watching TV I take advantage of the TV light. If you have books on your Kindle, the Kindle will automatically give you light to read your book. I would say make sure the window is next to a street lamp light if you are not using a lamp or electronic device with light like a phone. As a matter of fact there are flash light apps if your phone doesn't come with one. And if your lamp can adjust the brightness of the light, more than just a simple on or off switch, then use it to your advantage. The same goes for lights in your room. We have some kitchen light that has an adjustable knob for brightness. Sometimes even a stove comes with light that you can switch on.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I am working on my work sheet to inventory the collections of our cooperative, it takes me about an hour at home so what I usually do is to do it in the terrace where there is ample lighting. That saves me expenses on electricity. And when the weather is cool especially with a breeze, we stay in the terrace and bring out the tv there so we need not use the electric fan.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    This is definitely a good idea, and I completely agree with you. At home, I always try to have as few lights on as possible, as this means that I am going to be able to save a lot of money over time. You should definitely plan to use the light in your home to the best possible advantage, as this means that you're not wasting money that you could otherwise be saving.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree that this is a good idea! I know first hand that it works because our home office is set up so that we're sat right by the window, and this allows us to make use of the natural light right until the sun goes down. When I'm lying in bed at night reading my Kindle, I don't need to switch on the light because it has an inbuilt light :)